HARSH FINAL COURT DECISION IN VICKI BOER V. WATCHTOWER TRIAL

by hawkaw 133 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus
    shamus

Dansk,

We HAVE to get mobilized here and get going on this. I can't take this anymore. This is too outrageous!

Please, Dansk, could you start a thread about getting started with this? We need to get organized all right, NOW. We need to start organizing strategies yesterday. These things take time, and I am willing to commit time / energy / whatever to the cause!

We need some direction, and someone has to step up to the plate, so to speak. I don't know who, but we need them now. I have an idea of someone, but would have to talk privately to them first before mentining anything!

This ruling has pushed me over the edge. I am going to sick those guys and make them sorry that they ever did this to poor Vicki. The best way to do that is in the MEDIA! Let's give them a black eye like they have never seen before!

• Dansk
    Dansk

Shamus,

You have a PM

Dansk

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

What a horrible feeling to log in this morning and see this.

Vicki, and family, our thoughts are with you, and we stand by to see what financial aid we can assist with.

And to think those lost WT souls are actually going to thank Jehovah for allowing them to escape punishment for breaking "His own decrees"

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

As shocked and saddened as I am to hear this, I have to agree with William Penwell's comments on page one of this thread that

"... Morally they are wrong but legally they are in the right."

Hillary_Step is absolutely right when he explains,

"... My ire is not directed towards the WTS, or Justice Malloy who are just dealing within the system and doing what they are ?paid? to do, it is leveled at the advisers of Vicki Boer."

Vicki's lawyer has conducted this case poorly from the outset. Did he explain to Vicki that a consequence of refusing the WTS' settlement offer could be that Vicki would be found liable for the WTS' "legal expenses"? I wonder. He had the opportunity to do this TWICE, with each offer the WTS made.

Yes, the WTS offer also included a "gag order." Abusers like their victim's silence, and that silence was morally repugnant to Vicki.

In the USA, Vicki would have had the right to have the trial decided by a jury. Does she not have that right in Canada? Was there a strategic decision to have the case decided by one lone judge? Why?

The judge, her honour, Justice Anne Molloy, really cannot be faulted - she followed the law impeccably. The Watchtower lawyers are very skilled game players, and I fear that Vicki's attorney underestimated them at every turn and consequently failed his client. "Sorry you got screwed Vicki; here's the bill for my services - it cost you only $92,000 for my help and guidance."

If the Watchtower Society gets their $142,000 award, you know where it will go - right into the worldwide abuse work.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I've forwarded the press release and link to WFAA, one of our local news channels that actually did a research piece on Jehovah's Witnesses and child abuse last year, interviewing our very own Jesika, and to the Dallas Morning News, our ONLY newspaper.

Because of all of the publicity, a Nigerian woman avoided stoning. I hope we can accomplish the same thing for Vicki.

Hang in there, Vicki! You have a lot of people on your side and we won't desert you.

Nina

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/about/people/house/PostalCode.asp?Source=SM

Find your Member of Parliament using your Postal Code

Postal Code (e.g. A1A1A1)

Source: Statistics Canada - September 2002

ESTEE

• obiwan
    obiwan

Ok, I couldn't take it. I sent a link to all of kennison's sites he had. I hope someone will pick up on the story!

This is just sick!

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Sent an email to Oprah Winfrey show at http://www.oprah.com/email/reach/email_showideas.jhtml

The following is what I sent:

I am very concerned over the case of Vicki Boer vs. the Watchtower. Vicki was a survivor of child abuse and the Watchtower was found guilty of negligence. Due to bad advise on the part of her lawyer to not take an out of court settlement back in 2001, the Watchtower sued for legal fees and won a $142,000 judgement against her. This is a travesty of justice. Vicki is now being victimized twice by an organization that she thought was there to protect her but is hiding and protecting the sexual predators themselves. The complete story is here:

Will

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Not to hijack this thread, but for those interested in helping with the media blitz for Vicki Boer's case, could someone please start a "Vicki Boer Media Blitz Info" thread using the info below? I've reached my topic limit for a while...FB::: Never mind....I just started one....

Frannie B
  • hawkaw
    hawkaw

For understanding the Judge's discretion powers here and please refer to the following statute. It clearly shows in s 49.13 that Her Honour did not have to do what the case law said. She actually had discretion and decided not to use it!

Courts of Justice Act

R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 194

Amended to O. Reg. 263/03

RULES OF CIVIL PROCEDURE COSTS CONSEQUENCES OF FAILURE TO ACCEPT

Plaintiff's Offer

49.10 (1) Where an offer to settle,

(a) is made by a plaintiff at least seven days before the commencement of the hearing;

(b) is not withdrawn and does not expire before the commencement of the hearing; and

(c) is not accepted by the defendant,

and the plaintiff obtains a judgment as favourable as or more favourable than the terms of the offer to settle, the plaintiff is entitled to to the date the partial indemnity costs offer to settle was served and substantial indemnity costs from that date, unless the court orders otherwise. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194, r. 49.10 (1); O. Reg. 284/01, s. 11 (1).

Defendant's Offer

(2) Where an offer to settle,

(a) is made by a defendant at least seven days before the commencement of the hearing;

(b) is not withdrawn and does not expire before the commencement of the hearing; and

(c) is not accepted by the plaintiff,

and the plaintiff obtains a judgment as favourable as or less favourable than the terms of the offer to settle, the plaintiff is entitled to partial indemnity costs to the date the offer was served and the defendant is entitled to partial indemnity costs from that date, unless the court orders otherwise. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194, r. 49.10 (2); O. Reg. 284/01, s. 11 (2).

Burden of Proof

(3) The burden of proving that the judgment is as favourable as the terms of the offer to settle, or more or less favourable, as the case may be, is on the party who claims the benefit of subrule (1) or (2). O. Reg. 219/91, s. 6.

MULTIPLE DEFENDANTS

49.11 Where there are two or more defendants, the plaintiff may offer to settle with any defendant and any defendant may offer to settle with the plaintiff, but where the defendants are alleged to be jointly or jointly and severally liable to the plaintiff in respect of a claim and rights of contribution or indemnity may exist between the defendants, the costs consequences prescribed by rule 49.10 do not apply to an offer to settle unless,

(a) in the case of an offer made by the plaintiff, the offer is made to all the defendants, and is an offer to settle the claim against all the defendants; or

(b) in the case of an offer made to the plaintiff,

(i) the offer is an offer to settle the plaintiff's claim against all the defendants and to pay the costs of any defendant who does not join in making the offer, or

(ii) the offer is made by all the defendants and is an offer to settle the claim against all the defendants, and, by the terms of the offer, they are made jointly and severally liable to the plaintiff for the whole amount of the offer. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194, r. 49.11.

OFFER TO CONTRIBUTE

49.12 (1) Where two or more defendants are alleged to be jointly or jointly and severally liable to the plaintiff in respect of a claim, any defendant may serve on any other defendant an offer to contribute (Form 49D) toward a settlement of the claim. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194, r. 49.12 (1); O. Reg. 627/98, s. 5.

(2) The court may take an offer to contribute into account in determining whether another defendant should be ordered,

(a) to pay the costs of the defendant who made the offer; or

(b) to indemnify the defendant who made the offer for any costs that defendant is liable to pay to the plaintiff,

or to do both. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194, r. 49.12 (2).

(3) Rules 49.04, 49.05, 49.06 and 49.13 apply to an offer to contribute as if it were an offer to settle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194, r. 49.12 (3).

DISCRETION OF COURT

49.13 Despite rules 49.03, 49.10 and 49.11, the court, in exercising its discretion with respect to costs, may take into account any offer to settle made in writing, the date the offer was made and the terms of the offer. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194, r. 49.13.

I have highlighted the above section in red to point to all of you that the Court actually had discretion. There was NO need to do what Judge Molloy did. Instead she took a strick approach and nailed Viki to the wall. Molloy was told and even agreed about Vicki's mental state in Her decision. She knew it and knew how rich the Watchtower was and how "middle class" Vicki's family was.

Yet she decided to use her power as a Judge and slam Vicki into the ground. Damn shame of misjustice in my not so humble opinion.

So a vindictive Watchtower, an useless legal counsel and a Judge who decided not to excercise her discretion that the Government granted her to ensure vicitms would not be hurt all cost Vicki dearly in the end.

hawk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit