HARSH FINAL COURT DECISION IN VICKI BOER V. WATCHTOWER TRIAL

by hawkaw 133 Replies latest jw friends

• Smyler
    Smyler

I can't believe this! She wins the case and only gets $5000 and she has to pay for the FREE WT lawyers! 142,000 dollars! 137,000... Who REALLY won this case?!

God, the Canadian law system is ****ed!

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

This outcome illustrates what Hillary_Step has repeatedly been reminding us about:

"The Watchtower has cunning to burn."

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    God, the Canadian law system is ****ed!

I'll say.....

I'd imagine this is going to have a chilling effect on any Canadian molestation victim thinking of challenging the WT policies.

• Scully
    Scully

Not only am I disgusted with this decision, it's going to be really interesting to hear what happens when JWs get wind of this and start crowing about how Jehovah Protected The Organization? and showed survivors of child sexual abuse not to go up against them.

This is such an obvious money grab on the part of the WTS. They - and now the Canadian Legal System - make me SICK.

Love, Scully

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

The reason was that she was offered an out of court settlement in 2001. So the WT is saying we are not responsible for any legal cost incurred after that date because we were willing to settle the matter. I know it sucks big time and this will come back to bite the WT in the butt but it sounds like what they are doing is legal. Morally they are wrong but legally they are in the right.

Will

• Gadget
    Gadget
    I can't believe this! She wins the case and only gets $5000 and she has to pay for the FREE WT lawyers! 142,000 dollars! 137,000...

How come it cost 142,000 for the WT to defend the case? Did they not use their own legal department to fight this, and so all the work was done by volounteers? If so and they are claiming costs for work done by unpaid volounteers, then would this not be fraud? Or if not, how many PAID employees does the wbts have?

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Abhorrent.

She should declare bankruptcy, stick those bastards for the costs, and send them a videotape with her telling them to take their legal costs and shove it up their asses.

I hope they all suffer for what they did to her.

ash

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    Morally they are wrong but legally they are in the right.

So whatever happened to obeying God's higher moral standard laws rather than men's? Is it just the WT or can any JW jump across that fence whenever it suits them.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I wish I knew more about Canadian law. Get us the news articles, please, and let's see what kind of publicity we can get in our own home towns about this. I do know in America the lawyers have to submit itemized statements of the time and expenses to be reimbursed -- THAT would be an interesting read! Did the WT use outside counsel or was it strictly in-house? I'm betting on outside because usually in-house counsel just handles piddly day-to-day stuff but they hire outside counsel for big cases. I think she should be able to subpoena the Society's records of the statements sent to THEM to make sure no one is pulling a fast one on totalling up those legal fees.

That judge sucks. I don't care if she did refuse a settlement offer -- that shouldn't be held against her.

Nina

• shotgun
    shotgun

It is so difficult to make a stand and do the right thing when your punished for it...Vicki I'm so sorry, I can't believe the decision...I guess you had to figure the WT with their teams of lawyers knew what they were doing when they sued...dirty baskets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit