HARSH FINAL COURT DECISION IN VICKI BOER V. WATCHTOWER TRIAL

by hawkaw 133 Replies latest jw friends

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

Thanks Aztec for referring me to this thread. I immediately sent an op/ed letter to the Nashville Tennessean and I also wrote the following:

October 3, 2003

Watchtower Bible & Tract Society

25 Columbia Heights

Brooklyn, NY 11201-2483

This letter concerns a matter that I stumbled across yesterday that was very disturbing. I was wondering if perhaps you could clarify this for me. I have been paying attention to the whole sex abuse matter as it pertains to the congregation, so it is not surprising that in my routine news scans I stumbled upon an article in the Canadian Press. The article stated that:

"A woman who won $5,000 in damages after accusing the Canadian wing of the Jehovah's Witnesses of negligence over their handling of sexual abuse has been ordered to pay the group $142,000 to cover its legal costs."

Now, here is where I have a question.

*** w95 5/1 30 What Will Your Business Cost You? ***

Just think what a black mark it would put on the Christian organization if outsiders heard of true Christians fighting it out in court! Could it be that in such cases the love of money has become stronger than love for brother? Or could it be that one?s honor has been tarnished and retaliation is foremost in mind? Paul?s counsel shows that in such cases it would be better to take a loss than to go to court.?1 Corinthians 6:1, 7; Romans 12:17-21.

Isn?t this being harsh and hypocritical to unlovingly impose such a burden on one of the flock, even if this one is undergoing an especially difficult time in their life and a crisis of their faith? The matter is further complicated by the idea that these alleged "costs" are imposed by brothers who are volunteers for the organization. Other than minor filing fees and the like, what fees are these brothers charging our organization for?

I am sorry if I seem to be out of tune with current thinking, but in every way, this simply seems wrong from a moral standpoint. It seems almost a punitive and vindictive measure to take and in appearance, if not in fact is a lesson to warn those that would "mess with us". To me, it?s not exactly the thing I like to see in an organization that is "known by the love among yourselves."

Can you please clarify this for me? I would like to understand better and have my mind set at ease. Is this secular news reporter embellishing things, or is this really the outcome of this?Thank you for your time and consideration.

I will let you all know when / if I hear anything. I am so angry! I wrote this letter in this way a) because I am inactive but still "in" and b) to maybe get an answer. I was discussing this with my JW wife...and even she says "that is soooo wrong." I know it's a drop in the bucket...but maybe it's at least a voice heard. Yes, I realize that they may make my "ex" status official by the big DF...but then, who gives a rat's ass?

Ern

• yesidid
    yesidid

Hi Ern,

That is a simply brilliant letter. That quote is awesome. Do you mind if I use a variation of your letter to write to other branches.

yesidid

• shamus
    shamus

Brilliant Letter!

My Disassosiating is going to be put on hold, I think, so I can write the very same letter.

My god, what a great letter! Thank you so much for stating it!

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I realize it's "pissin' in the wind" but I'm mad as hell and someone has to answer for this crap. Feel free to use as much as you want. Glad to help some. Even my JW wife is pissed about this.

Ern

• waiting
    waiting

Fine letter, Ern.

It's great that your wife will talk to you about this. I talked with a jw 2 days ago, and he just shrugged it off. "I still believe in Jehovah, yada yada."

waiting

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

This is a joke right? This can't be real My god this poor woman. She needs to appeal this, something needs to be done, this needs to go public big time... I still can't believe this...

• rocketman
    rocketman

It's good to see that some jws are taking note of this latest example of wts hypocrisy.

• berylblue
  • waiting
    waiting

There are other threads pertaining to the harsh punishment delivered by the WTBTS to Vicki.

So far, we've been pleading with each other to send letters (Scully & expatbrit's website), send emails (many different addresses in threads) and help Vicki financially if we can. Simon, with the help of others here, has a paypal click (but I don't see it up top right now.) HS can be emailed directly for info.

THE WTBTS IS SENDING A MESSAGE TO ANY VICTIM WHO CHALLENGES THEM.......WE WILL CRUSH YOU. And, this message is in the Canadian Court Record for any lawyer to know.

Let's prove them liars.

waiting

• Scott77
    Scott77

marked for later reading

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit