It's been a long 9 years Lloyd Evans / John Cedars

by Newly Enlightened 11530 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Listener
    Listener
    I hate to think of Evans using you're comments WingCommander to try to target us here at JWN as nasty bullies that use fowl language, racism as well as other nasty stuff you're writing. It feeds him.
  • NonCoinCollector
    NonCoinCollector

Nothing wrong with Croatia, it's actually a beautiful European country. Why not keep your unattractive xenophobia to yourself?

You're right the country itself is beautiful and I would imagine the people, aside from Lloyd Evans, are decent. Well there was that one time the region ignited a World War, but Croatians would argue the Serbians did that. Same people, just a few mountains away and they were the same country not all that long ago. However you can still be a "shithole country" if you have the crime of insult in your law. My guess is Wing Commander was basically reflecting a similar statement Cappytan made in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYMQGAWv9VU

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Crime of "insult" warrants the label.

Just because a place is beautiful doesn't mean you can't call it a shithole. I'm sure North Korea is beautiful.

• Vintage
    Vintage
    Vintage is that Polish law?

No Pr0ner.

I said:

But here's a snippet of U.S. rules on ethically declining or terminating representation:
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

If the crime of insult, which I agree is nuts, is enough for anyone to slap such a nasty label on a country then I think it speaks more about the intolerance of the person.

I'm curious. Which country are you from that you think you couldn't have that label stuck on you?

• JeffT
    JeffT

In a bygone era "Crime of insult" was the sort of thing that led to pistols at dawn. If we still did things that way this thread would be about 250 pages shorter.

• Simon
    Simon

Back in the day, somewhere in between the duelling and the litigation it would "kick off" in a polite manner by someone forcibly stating:

"I'll bid good day to you, Sir ... I said GOOD DAY TO YOU!!!"

• NonCoinCollector
    NonCoinCollector

If the crime of insult, which I agree is nuts, is enough for anyone to slap such a nasty label on a country then I think it speaks more about the intolerance of the person.

No, it speaks more about the corruption of a country to have such a stupid law. Keep in mind Croatia declared its independence in 1991. Starting with a clean slate to make up common sense laws they chose to adopt the "crime of insult." At no point do I see anybody insult the ethnicity of the region.

• Simon
    Simon

I think I posted a few pages back (or maybe it was in a private discussion with someone?) it appears that the law is on the books for use by politicians to prevent journalists reporting on them. Most of the very few times it's used are suspended sentences or fines, i.e. it's to get people to back off from their reporting. There's apparently a campaign to get it struck off for that reason, but that relies on ... the politicians who might use it.

Now back in the real world, I see there is a WAG libel case going on in the UK right now. One case is going to cost someone $2m. The only way a lawyer is going to take that on is if:

1. They know you are good for that kind of money if you lose
    2. They think you have a clear-cut case and the other person has that kind of money if you win
    3. They are a clueless schmuck who doesn't know what they are doing and you and them both lose
    4. They think you are a clueless schmuck and want to take whatever money you are willing to spend

That's one case. You don't get to do libel as a two-fer, let alone a seven-fer. Each. Case.

The idea that Lloyd is going to launch SEVEN expensive, multi-national cases is just so far past the point of stupid I wonder if even his dumbest patreons are still fooled by his pantomime performance. And yes, at this point, anyone still giving him money has to be friggin' dumb. My favourite question to ask JWs about the WTS also applies to patreons and Lloyd:

What exactly would they need to do for you to NOT support them anymore? If nothing, if you'd support them no matter what they do, then you are just brainwashed.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    The idea that Lloyd is going to launch SEVEN expensive, multi-national cases is just so far past the point of stupid I wonder if even his dumbest patreons are still fooled by his pantomime performance

Does he want to sue people who are not going to pay him regardless of the judgment or does he want that home on an island he told Andrew Gold he dreamt of getting? Can't have both.

Lloyd is notorious for creating an illusion that they are hurting for money and needing everything to be crowdfunded. On his last trip to Australia a collection was taken up amongst the locals that ended up covering his entire family's trip when you damn well know he could have afforded it.

When a family of four is being flown to the other side of the planet on other people's generosity is the point where activism isn't really activism anymore. It's a front for living a rather comfortable lifestyle, which is why he is so angry and is lashing out with lawsuits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit