Greta Thunberg...what’s your view of her?

by minimus 95 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for taking the time to type that out Earnest.

It seems to show that Greta's obsession was not initiated by her parents. I feel a bit sorry for them. She is not a well child. She may be enjoying the international acclaim right now but I would fear for her future more than I fear for the planet.

Environmentalism is a secular religion. Greta is being beatified as the patron saint of the green movement. What is needed is a rational conversation about what will actually make a difference and what is realistic not the endless virtue signalling, hysteria and tokenism.

• Earnest
    Earnest

cofty, I hear what you say about fearing for her future, and you may be right as it seldom bodes well when a person so young is given such acclaim. However, my impression is that she has her feet on the ground.

Consider, part of the discussion that she has with Mishal Husain at 5 min 26 sec on the link I gave in my previous post:

MH : How do you see your own future? You're still only 16. Are you going to carry on sitting outside the Swedish parliament? Are you going to go back to school?

GT : I hope I won't have to sit outside the Swedish parliament for long. I hope that something happens and we won't have to do this. I hope I don't have to be a climate activist anymore. I've taken a gap year from school. So my school doesn't start until August. So until August I am trying to do what I can in ways that I can contribute, but I'm really looking forward to going back to school and I just want to be just as everyone else. I want to have a normal life, not having to organise marches and so on, because that's not what I want to do. I want to educate myself and to just be like a normal teenager. But of course this isn't normal situation and we need to step out of our comfort zones.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I know that if she was my daughter I wouldn't push her out on to the world stage like that.

She can be in support of cause and still be in school learning new things, advancing her education, as well emotional and intellectual maturity.

I think some people around her intentionally tried to exploit her vigor and outspokenness but it went a little too far.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I am well to the extreme when it comes to climate change. I have even gotten rid of my car since I live in London there’s no excuse using it unless you have a disability,elderly or very young kids.

But Gretas PARENTS are the ones who have stolen her childhood.

They have obviously terrified the poor kid to death....and I don’t like parents who frighten their kids with stories about dystopian futures.😒

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Greta's bravery is simply stunning - there's no other word for it ...

Image result for two in the stunning one in the brave meme
  • JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung
    and only repeat back like a parrot what they have been told by an adult.
    So it would depend on the adult they were parroting as to the message
    was garbage or relevant. Funberg is noting more than a petulant teen.
    Instead of a I want an oompa loompa now daddy, its I want the world to
    dump fossil fuel now daddy.

The twit has no idea that the world
    runs on fossil fuel. From your tooth paste to the food you eat is either
    brought to you by fossil fuel or its made by or derived from. How heavy
    would a Tesla be if there were no plastics? You could not even mine the
    materials to make a Tesla or Iphone if not for Fossil fuel.

She
    is nothing but a foot stomping brat who wants what she wants and is
    going to hold her breath till she gets it. Well Daddy can not make the
    world bend to her will. She claims that adults have failed children.
    this is a huge joke and shows how stupid and immature she really is. We
    as a species live longer and in much better conditions then ever before
    in history. She has the time and means to play her stupid I am not going
    to school games because of fossil fuel. Even the most poor in most
    countries live like never before. Modern medicine has advanced to give
    people cures and extend life. The adults she parrots only feed
    her a diet of apocalyptic [much like the JW's] BS. She is much like a
    mushroom the keep her in the dark and feed her shit. The National
    Geographic did an article on how many Teen activists dropped out of the
    cause saying that they were critically depressed and live in fear of
    the end of the world. These climate change nuts have taken a page right
    out of the JW and other end of the world religions play book. Keep them in fear of the end coming and it will
    keep them in line with the cause. Its fake and the adults this twit
    parrots are enablers causing a lot of damage to some youth. To me they
    are nothing more than a type of pedophile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit