Systemic Racism: What’s Your View? Is it As Pervasive As Some Suggest?

by minimus 157 Replies latest jw friends

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@iXav:

I think the concept of "systemic racism" was created to push political policies that wouldn't pass on their own merits. And that most claims of systemic racism are bull shirt. The claim that the foundational principles of this nation are racist is hog wash.

But if it is defined as "government preference by race", then it exists - exemplified by the Democrat party.

• iXav
    iXav

I think the concept of "systemic racism" was created to push political policies that wouldn't pass on their own merits. And that most claims of systemic racism are bull shirt. The claim that the foundational principles of this nation are racist is hog wash.

But if it is defined as "government preference by race", then it exists - exemplified by the Democrat party

You have a right to your opinion and you can call it BS but having a definition will still help your argument.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

I agree with people calling for a definition. With that said, it's hard to argue this country wasn't founded on racism (founded, past tense) when our early history includes genociding Native Americans and using Africans as slaves. Let's be real here.

• minimus
    minimus

Sorry, I’m at work and am just getting back here. Why do you need me to give you a definition? You don’t know what systemic racism is considered?? That’s bs . Look up the definition if you need to.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

You're good man. I hear you, but I think it would be valuable for the conversation. Let me provide one. This is from Wikipedia:

Institutional racism, also known as systemic racism, is a form of racism that is embedded through laws within society or an organization. It can lead to such issues as discrimination in criminal justice, employment, housing, health care, political power, and education, among other issues. Institutional racism can have harmful effects on people, especially on students in school where it is prominent

• minimus
    minimus

Cambridge Dictionary: policies and practices that exist throughout a whole society or organization and that result in and support a continued unfair advantage to some people and unfair harmful treatment of others based on race.

• minimus
    minimus

Snare, I’m not black. So??

• vienne
    vienne

Racism is ill defined, often incorrectly so. True racism exists, but it's not pervasive in this country.

• iXav
    iXav

Sorry, I’m at work and am just getting back here. Why do you need me to give you a definition? You don’t know what systemic racism is considered?? That’s bs . Look up the definition if you need to.

You have been in this forum long enough to know how these things work and how this can degenerate into a us vs them. It is actually not BS given that some people actually don't believe systemic racism exist.

Now back to your question. If you go by Wikipedia's definition then, I will answer the question. "Is it as pervasive as some will suggest" ?

The very meaning of "systemic" will suggest that it is as pervasive. It means it is baked into the system.

Now, this is where is gets complicated. Some see racism everywhere when that is not the case. Some confuse racism with classism. Others like to think that systemic racism is a left and right issue when that is not often the case. Still, some believe that systemic racism died in the 50s/60s

• minimus
    minimus

IXav, I’m glad you got a definition from Wikipedia so that you could respond. Really glad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit