Ending Bible Study

by Maria Nieves 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If she knew that I was on this site, she would label me an Apostate.

I have learned that Jehovah Witness immediately put an end to being challenged. As soon as a challenging question is asked, they will quickly end the conversation. If the challenge continues, they label the person who is doing the challenge as an apostate.

Maria, it sounds like you've learned the most important things you need to learn about JWs. All (or at least most) of us here are guilty of having jumped to those same conclusions about anyone who may have originally tried to "educate" us about the Cult of the WT. But we had been "taught" (programed) to reject any negative information. Once you ask the "wrong" questions, the "love bombing" will stop and their defenses will go up and you will be come "Satan's tool" -- though at first they may think you are just being deceived and can be saved.

Good luck!

What a perfect example of the effect of the World Wide Web on Jehovah's Witnesses! It is their "silver bullet".

I applaud any of you who actually were able to discover TTATT before the easy availability of information online. Doing that took GREAT EFFORT. Many would still be enslaved by the WT if it were not for "the information age" we live in today.

• Incognito
    Incognito
    If she knew that I was on this site, she would label me an Apostate.

Not really true since you are still only studying and were never baptised as a JW. They will however say that you are being influenced by Apostates (referring to most people on this site who were JWs previously).

You seem to be concerned with being labeled an Apostate. Why do you care how they (JWs) think or label you?

JWs label everyone, including their own members. You are currently a 'Study'. JWs are often 'Publishers', 'Pioneers', 'Ministerial Servants', 'Elders (+ sub labels such as COBE)' ,"Circuit Overseer", 'Missionary', 'Bethelite'. Then there are the negatives: 'Marked', 'On Reproof', 'Disassociated', 'Disfellowshipped', 'Oppostate'.

As a 'Study', even if you do not question or say anything negative about the JW religion or beliefs, if you do not become a baptised JW, JWs will continue to label you as 'worldly' and therefore, not worthy.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have skimmed 7 pages. Maria, it sounds like you hope to keep JW's as friends, particularly your study conductor.

First of all, she hasn't gone out of her way FOR YOU. She did it for the organization- to count her time and buy her way into paradise. But that doesn't mean she doesn't care about you.

Instead of attempting to address your particular issue, I will highlight my own to make the point. I was an elder, I was well-liked. I did not sin to get kicked out, I drifted away (to make that long story short).

All the JW's did not have to shun me, and they don't really shun me. But they don't call, they don't check on me. If I am not with them, then they have no need for me. I used to have people tell my wife they miss me. My answer was "Then lets do lunch." Never had a reply because "we miss you" means "Get back to the Kingdom Hall."

My in-laws and my mother, my wife's best friend and her husband- they treat me with respect and are okay with me. They have managed to put aside a JW unwritten rule to have nothing to do with me. I respect them for that.

As for the rest of them, in my case I say good riddance. My own best friend has nothing to do with me. I made new friends and got closer to non-JW family. The important part is my own mental health.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Out4Good opined, "In fact, they don't have any authority over you if you do. They only have the authority over you that YOU give them. Being dipped in a batch of tap water doesn't change that."

That is true in a theological sense, of course, because contracts with imaginary beings are non-binding, (I am an atheist) but over time the Watchtower Baptism has become an induction ceremony into a human private club.

Consider:

In order to QUALIFY to be baptised, it was required that Watchtower acolytes answer 80 questions in front of an examination board of three elders. This was increased to 124 questions in 1983 and then reduced to 104 questions in 2005.

The Baptism Questions

Under Pastor C. T. Russell, baptism candidates consecrated themselves to the Lord only, and it was specifically noted that baptism was not to any particular sect.

"The questions usually put by Brother Russell when receiving candidates for water immersion took the form of:

(1) Have you repented of sin with such restitution as you are able, and are you trusting in the merit of Christ's sacrifice for the forgiveness of your sins and the basis of your justification?

(2) Have you made a full consecration of yourself with all the powers that you possess--talent, money, time, influence--all to the Lord, to be used faithfully in His service, even unto death?

After public admission of these confessions, we acknowledge you as a member of the Household of Faith, and give to you as such the right hand of fellowship, not in the name of any sect or party or creed, but in the name of the Redeemer, our glorified Lord, and His faithful followers." -- What Pastor Russell Said pp.35-36

Later, two questions developed containing reference to the God the Father, Jesus the son, and the holy spirit, and The Watchtower continued to clarify that baptism is not in the name of any organization:

"A Christian, therefore, cannot be baptized in the name of the one actually doing the immersing or in the name of any man, nor in the name of any organization, but in the name of the Father, the Son and the holy spirit." -- Watchtower 1955 Jul 1 p.411

In 1966 emphasis of baptism shifted from Jesus to Jehovah:

"We do not dedicate ourselves to a religion, nor to a man, nor to an organization. No, we dedicate ourselves to the Supreme Sovereign of the Universe, our Creator, Jehovah God himself. This makes dedication a very personal relationship between us and Jehovah." -- Watchtower 1966 Oct 1 pp.603-604

In 1985 however, a very significant change was introduced:

"At the close of the convention baptism talk, the baptism candidates will be in position to answer with depth of understanding and heartfelt appreciation two simple questions that serve to confirm that they recognize the implications of following Christ's example.

The first question is:

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization? Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism." -- Watchtower 1985 Jun 1 p.30

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

Maria, I like my other fellow posters are very happy that you saw the "light" about this organization; but one thing I would like to really suggest which would be very helpful to you which was no doubt helpful to others here on this forum and other similar forums re: WT: Please read this book=> "CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE" by Ray Franz.

Ray Franz was a former Governing Body member of the Jehovah's Witnesses who wrote about his experiences within the hub of this organization at World Headquarters many years ago. Seeing the inner workings of this caused him what was really going on there. I truly feel that if you check out this book (although you have decided to discontinue your "indoctrination sessions" with the JWs) will solidify your decision to not be converted in that "religion".

Also, I would like to suggest various YouTube videos to watch=> ExJW Critical Thinkers, Marcus Vaughn, JW Rebuttal, ChristianKatja, plus many others--a plethora of these to choose from, though all of these people can enlighten you re: the JWs. Good Luck and Congrats!

• jp1692
    jp1692

There’s a good reason that you “fear the repercussions of ending the study.” That’s because Jehovah’s Witnesses are a high-control, authoritarian group. The slang term for this is: cult.

The fear you are feeling is a major red-flag you should not ignore. But realize this, you have become indoctrinated to be afraid to leave, but there is really nothing the JWs can do to you except shun you.

Do yourself a favor and just end the study, and quit going to the Kingdom Hall. You don’t owe anyone an explanation for your reasons. Take back the control over your life that you have gradually been relinquishing and re-establish appropriate personal boundaries.

Let’s review: It’s a cult!

• jp1692
    jp1692
    Maria Nieves: I no longer believe the truth to be the truth.

jp1692: I no longer believe that Jehovah’s Witnesses are a positive, healthy—or even benign—religious organization.

There. I fixed it for you.

Lets review: It’s a cult!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MARIA:

Please DO read Crisis of Conscience. What an eye-opener.

Also, what JP1692 says is correct about re-establishing personal boundaries that you have unknowingly relinquished under all the fake smiles and love bombing you have received.

If you read threads about people who have faded from the Witness religion, they almost ALL include statements about how they were pestered with phone calls, texts, unwanted and unexpected visits with Witnesses who were trying to corner them, etc.. What these ex-JWs were doing was simply taking back their privacy and personal boundaries which disappeared in the JW religion because even intelligent people’s sensibilities got eroded. You are trained to let your guard down. Very unhealthy.

The average person anywhere would not tolerate the intrusiveness of the Witnesses and this behavior is not normal.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Skimmed over earlier pages myself.

Just want to add that the guy I studied with totally smothered me and was controlling. I knew what was happening but thought I was smarter than that and remained polite. ( I had a great hunger for learning the Bible and still have much respect and interest in it ) For whatever reason I wanted to get baptised asap just to get him off my back. Once I did it didn't get any better as it was just only more work and 'privileges' Ultimately I had no choice but to switch congs. and lessen to work load and enjoy life more. Then began my fade.

They really do have issues with personal boundaries, as in non existent..

PS : Yes on selfishly racking up hours for themselves. Brother study was a pioneer and invited me over for supper, study at their house so his wife could sit in and count, it was unreal !! It was extremely costly to my own mental health. Last time I ate there close to 20 years ago I peeled out after pedal to the metal. I was driving a diesel Jetta at the time and if it would of been a higher powered car I think would of smoked out first and second !

• jp1692
    jp1692

Here's a great thread on the topic of boundaries:

Enjoy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit