Ending Bible Study

by Maria Nieves 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Maria Nieves
    Maria Nieves

I think that it is accurate to say that the video did not show how the person studying feels about breaking of a personal connection and the impact that it will have on the person. Through studying, I have learned that Jehovah Witnesses' loyalty is to the Watchtower Society. If they can cease communication with a disfellowshipped loved one, then they are not concerned as to the negative effects that ending a bible study can have on the person who is studying.

I am concerned as to the impact that ending the bible study will have on my study conductor. I worry about how the study conductor will be viewed by the congregation and whether the study conductor will be made to feel shame by the congregation. I worry about how the study conductor will be treated by the congregation.

I also feel guilt about the dedication that the study conductor displayed towards me.

Jehovah Witness teach that if you are brought to Jehovah and you renounce him, he will renounce you forever. Therefore, if I end the study, I will be viewed as having renounced Jehovah and being an apostate. I do not feel that I am renouncing God by no longer wanting to continue to study. However, that is how it will be viewed.

I was honest when I said that as my studies progressed, I felt that what I was being taught was becoming progressively negative. However, if I were to say this to my study conductor, I fear that I will be labeled an apostate. Whenever, I have expressed an opinion that was in opposition to what I was being taught, I was shown bible scriptures that supported what I was being taught. I have even sensed anger and defensiveness from my study conductor whenever I have said something that was not in agreement with what my study conductor was teaching. It became a situation where I felt that I could not express my opinions. Eventually, I just shutdown and stopped expressing my opinions.

I am sure that my study conductor has noticed a change. I used to be very active in commenting at the meetings, reading the literature and watching the broadcast. Now I just remain silent.

Thank-you to everyone for your kind words and advice. Its been helpful to me in coping with the situation that I find myself in.

• new boy
    new boy

As others have said here you are very fortunate to have spotted the insanity early. Many here have taken years to break free.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

[quote] All you have to do is ask some awkward questions that Witnesses get very uncomfortable with, plenty here will give you examples. You might even help your study conductor to "see the light".

I agree. There are many issues that a JW will run away from. There are the questions that cannot be answered that to a faithful JW are questions that cannot be asked.

The biggest "hammer questions" will deal with the failed prophecies. jwfact will give a comprehensive list (but you cannot tell them you were looking at apostate sites. Tell them someone from work or school or a family member gave you the material and you are trying to refute it and need their help in doing so.

Key failures

Armageddon was predicted in 1914, 1925 (when the faithful men of old were also to be resurrected early), 1940's, 1975, before 2000. ALL THESE PROPHECIES ARE FAILURES.You can get the quotes and possibly the photo copy of the articles at jwfacts and here if you just ask.

Now quote Deut 18:20-22 ~ "But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death. 21 You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?” 22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken."

In the past, every Kingdom Hall had a "library" where you could have read these old articles, but just recently WTS told every Cong to dismantle their library and destroy these old publications that are incriminating.

Another is to ask them to explain the "overlapping generation" from the Bible. For years they preached that "this generation will not pass away" before "THE END" (Armageddon) and claimed "this generation" was all persons

1) of mature age in 1914 when they claim Jesus took rulership in heaven

2) of age to recall the "change" of events in 1914

3) just born before Oct 1914 (even babies)

Of course, these people are ALL DEAD, and THE END never arrived, thus JWS were forced to chance this to an "overlap" of generations (meaning my JW Grandfather, Father, Me, and my Sons are all "one generation"). Now compare that scripture (matt 24:45) to the gospel account of Jesus lineage that indicates the realistic length of generations.

When they deny they predicted Armageddon all those times, show them the documents you received from your "workmate" and demand they show you the "real" publications if they say they are "fake".

Do NOT let them back pedal on a topic. Stick to it. Set up a time for them to return with the answers or "true" materials.

My bet is you'll never see them again, but you will have had the opportunity to show them The Truth About The Truth -- TTATT

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

You mention that your study person has devoted time and years. No doubt you have a bond with them too. Sadly, it is that bond which hampers the ability to say No.

Perhaps you need to write a short honest letter to them and ask that they do not call round again. If that fails then a stronger letter may be needed to either them or the local elders at the hall. I suspect though, that if they ignore your first letter, you will probably feel a' little cross' and that, itself, will strengthen your resolve to tell them No..... But keep it polite, but firm..

As regards disfellowshipping etc, you are not at risk of such treatment...

Wish you well.

• tiki
    tiki

It seems your biggest issue is your compassion for your study teacher....and really, your acceptance or nonacceptance of her religion and the effect it has on her is something over which you have no control. And you certainly cannot accept involvement in something that goes against your grain simply to please someone. You need to put your own agenda first and let go of anxieties about possible repercussions.

I am happy for you that you have seen through the manipulative and unloving stance the religion takes. Would cancelling a few study sessions help? An easing off of the relationship and association? I personally would stop going to the meetings and if you've been doing field service that too. Then your study person will likely nail you and barrage you for explanation. That is when you have to be tough and realize you owe no one any explanations, reasons, rationalizations for your choices and decisions. Good luck and keep us posted!

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Your JW teacher won't be treated poorly by the congregation because you quit the study. Everyone will say that Satan got to you but they won't blame the JW. I have never in the 40+ years I've been associated seen anyone treated poorly because a "worldly" (sorry, I don't mean that as an insult to you, just using the phrase JWs would use) person quit a study. Now, if you were the persons child, that would bring some impact but really so many born in JWs leave, even that wouldn't be that big of a deal.

You will lose their "friendship" but keep in mind, ALL relationships as a JW are conditional. But, it won't be the same as being disfellowshipped. They will still talk to you in efforts to recruit you again. But, I don't they duck you in public.

I'm happy you woke up before you got in too deep!

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Maria - you are not rejecting God or Jesus or Christianity, you are simply choosing not to continue studying the literature and doctrines of the religious denomination known as "Jehovah's Witnesses."

Ending the study ends JW's "friendships." Start your life again without them.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

another idea--Maria--why dont you invite your study conductor to join you at a cinema--or theater or whatever you like---see her reaction .

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

A good thing to come out of this and you can be thankful for is that you woke up in the early stages. Be thankful that you didn’t spend years of your life in this religion like many of us have.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Hi Maria and welcome to this forum. Well it seems you have made a bunch of new friends who are looking out for you by offering good information. Count me in as well.

I certainly admire your ability to work through those things that have been troubling you......you are a rare Bible Study......... one that puts honesty and clarity first.

As has been noted......... you are not in debt to your conductor........ it's sort of the other way around. Non family Bible Studies are difficult to start and even more difficult to get them to attend meetings. Your Conductor should thank you for your time and hospitality. She is probably considered an excellent teacher by the Elders and congregation. You have assured her reputation.

You owe her no more then she owes you.

If you feel that you need a reason to end the study.......... read up about the growing child sexual abuse that has been covered up for decades by the JW's and their corporation.......... the WTBTS.

Check out the 'two witness rule' that is misused to protect the pedophile.

If you find this information as offensive as we do and the public at large...... speak out.

She will have no comeback other then saying something lame like..... it's a lie from Satan.

Please get back to us before or after the study ends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit