If You Had The Choice To Live Anywhere In The World or Any State Where Would You Be?

by minimus 71 Replies latest jw friends

• fulano
    fulano

@jesscd... do you think it is easy to move to Italy as an american?

https://www.quora.com/How-easy-is-it-for-an-American-to-move-to-Europe

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Cleveland and Detroit would not be at the top of my list.

Rub a Dub

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Mrs Phizzy and I just love Italy, especially the unspoilt Rural parts, or tourist free seaside ones. I have though, recently, been thinking seriously that we now need to move out of the crumbling U.K, the idiot electorate,mind controlled by the MSM, have just elected a Racist Prime Minister ( Bojo The Clown) heading a Racist, Xenophobic Right Wing Government, intent on ruining our economy and selling off our N.H.S.

I no longer wish to pay Taxes to such a Government, and so am considering Portugal. They have a Social Democratic Government, which has achieved wonders in just its first 4 years, they have a good climate, wonderful people and fascinating places to visit. Oh and good Wine !

Wish me luck !

• caves
    caves

@nonjwspouse That house looks amazing. As an air B&B it would have paid for itself quickly.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Caves, I agree. We even have a number of trekke conventions in the city.

Unfortunately my husband disagreed, and money was tight enough that I reluctantly passed it up.

Balaamass2 - Chattanooga TN is within one hour 20 minutes of one international airport, and between 2 and 3 hours of three more. The cost of living here is a fraction of what you have in Calif, plus no state taxes! ( We do have a sales tax of 9.25% on most items) Cost of housing depends on the area of town. It varies widely.

You should visit. We have our own decent sized airport that people from Atlanta will drive up to use to avoid Hartsfield Int'l. (second only to O'hare as one of the busiest).

We were voted a top place to retire. (Somewhere, I forgot which publication.) In Outdoor Magazine voted as a top place for outdoor activities. I think Chattanooga won number one a couple times.

Mild winters, summers can get hot though, but nothing like the mid west. We have the four seasons. Lush greenery. Mountain's or river, or valley where you either can, or can't see a mountain. If you want more snow you can drive almost two hours and get to a ski resort.

( Can you tell I worked for a while at a company that focused on animating Downtown, and another rather large Festival company? I also worked for years for UTC gathering information through surveys about area tourists.)

Yeah, I like this area.

• fulano
    fulano

@phizzy. Did you know that a foreigner moving to Portugal wil not pay income-taxes the first five years?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am considering retirement in Hawaii. The wife and I would live in a small studio and I would have to cook most every meal at home, but I can really enjoy reading books at the beach most every day.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

As a U K resident I believe that Phizzy paints a distorted view of our homeland and our Government and Mr Johnson, the Prime Minister.It ain't that bad over here, apart from the weather. Too many rainy cold days that sap your spirits.

I always loved the culture of the USA , especially the South (the home of the music) but could I live there ? Hurricanes, Twisters, forest fires and searing hot summers put me off.

Canada looks nice...but I'd miss our football, that's soccer to the uninitiated)...

It's all superfluous anyway since I am not going anywhere. Let's make a cup of tea...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thank you Fulano for that info. I was going to investigate my Tax position in Portugal, I will be much happier paying taxes to such a Government as theirs.

Bluesbrother, have you proof that I need to alter my view of the P.M and the Government, please ?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hi Phizzy

What is “proof” in such things? Anyway let’s not turn this lighthearted thread into a political argument.

Happy New Year

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit