If You Had The Choice To Live Anywhere In The World or Any State Where Would You Be?

by minimus 71 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I do like the USA but winters suck! Florida has some charm but it gets brutal with heat and humidity. California is too looney. Aruba sounds nice right about now.

Where would you want to live if you had your choice??

• LV101
    LV101

NV - perfect weather except for few summer mos. Cali and Utah few hrs. away to cool down -- even few areas in oven-hot Arizona (few minutes outside Flagstaff) have cooler areas in summer -- not Phoenix! Cali is "looney" but my home country. Hope it improves but it is very concerning.

I think if I relocate from Cali I'd like to live part time in Seattle - I love it and it's not as "looney" as California -- almost -- but nice cosmopolitan city w/great food/shopping/rain - lots of water all around. Nice lifestyle - everything in walking distance.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

In comfort. The SF Bay Area is ruined. I'd like to try the CA coast for a change.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I moved to Florida from the northeast about 25 years ago, by choice. I just like the water, fishing, boating, scuba, etc. I am in the South Miami area.

It was fun the first year going to the beach on New Years Day and calling my parents up north that I was swimming in the ocean. But after about a year, I realized that no sane Floridian would go to the beach in January with water temperatures down to the mid-70's (23-25 C.). That is considered temperatures for tourists ... lol.

It certainly is hot and humid by many standards but if I was moving to Florida, the only place I would go would be the lower southeast side, or the Keys if I could afford it. With the Gulf stream just a few miles off the coast and an ocean breeze, the temperature is very stable as long as you are near the ocean. There is even debate as to the highest temperature ever reached here. Based on where the temperature was taken (airport or downtown), it is argued that Miami has never reached 100 F. Just 98 F. But if you go inland (Orlando) or further north (Jacksonville) then you will melt. And you will melt even quicker on the Gulf side of the state and the panhandle area.

I have been to California, Oregon, Washington, BC, and other Pacific areas but for me the water is just too cold. I would like to go to Hawaii but from what I hear it is very expensive. The Gulf states, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and the and the west coast of Florida are just WAY too hot and humid in the summer.

I will stay here in South Florida. It is expensive by many standards but I still like to cook on the patio wearing a T shirt and flip flops in the winter.

Rub a Dub

• minimus
    minimus

Jealous of Rub

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Min ...

When you mentioned "in the world", I would rule out Europe (too cold for me) and Africa (haven't been to many places there but not where I would choose to go). Asia, maybe. Hong Kong was interesting before China took it back with the political crap.

Australia? Maybe. Never been there but it may be interesting but they drive on the "wrong" side of the road.

South America? Probably not.

Caribbean? Probably not. Either way too expensive or too much crime.

Costa Rica. Yes! Very stable politically, great food (especially seafood), excellent health care, relatively low prices, a huge number of Americans and Canadians there and overall a very nice place. Very good beer for about one dollar per liter (quart).The Caribbean side does have more crime than the Pacific side. There are some very, very beautiful areas there, especially on the Pacific side. A lot of English is spoken there with so many ex-pats.

Easy flights to the US from the capital San Jose to most major US cities.

The people are extremely friendly.

I would definitely consider living or retiring there.

Rub a Dub

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Jealous of Rub

Min ...

It is just way too expensive to live here, at least from the housing side, due partly to the huge amount of foreign money that pours into here. Real estate is just ridiculous. And just for our homeowners insurance on a simple 3/2 home, we pay about 6,000 per year. It can easily be double that if you are very close to the water.

Rub a Dub

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

Just outside of Florence Italy.

• minimus
    minimus

Most Italians LOVE their homeland.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Arizona (Scottsdale area) or Texas (Hill country).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit