Climate Change - True Believer or Skeptic?

by Simon 129 Replies latest jw friends

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Does all of the exhaust fumes of all the cars around the world contribute to any change in Climate?

Well, in the micro sense, but I am yet to be convinced of the macro sense. Also, what about the exhaust fumes of the fossil fuels that must continuously be sure to restart wind turbines or used for supplementary electricity sources when the sun powered stations don't have quite enough? The loss of the power from a charged "battery" of sorts that solar power inputs, will lose a good bit of power across a long distance. Fossil fuels must be used in my examples of "green" energy unless you use nuclear.

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/factsheets/germanys-dependence-imported-fossil-fuels

None of it is as simple as recycle. It's more about reuse and reduce. But even that isn't changing the global climate, though it makes for a much nicer local environment.

How about the destruction of critical long term climate data at University of East Anglia? Once the Hockey stick graph was produced, the data disappeared. Coincidence? Is refusing to release data, coincidence? No, I am not convinced of man caused global climate change.

Here is just one source of information about Anglia I could find quickly

• Simon
    Simon
    Fossil fuels must be used in my examples of "green" energy unless you use nuclear

Not least in the manufacturing of them - mining for metals, costing, forging, transporting ... is all that factored in to how "green" something really is? Or only the second it's turned on? They are green to the person plugging in, but the pollution has been shifted elsewhere. Does that really make people limit their output compared to if they had to live with it?

Again, I think it's great to be frugal with energy use and to pollute as little as possible but there's a lot of fraud and denial going on when it comes to how clean renewable energy really is.

Quick poll: which kills more people? Nuclear, Solar or Wind power? Which is really safer?

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

The teenagers have spoken. Human caused climate change is real. Learn it, live it, love it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/15/world/climate-strike-students/index.html

• knowsnothing1
    knowsnothing1

The first thing you have to ask yourself is, is carbon dioxide a green house gas? It is, and it makes the Earth trap more heat.

We are at an unprecedented place in history. Over 400 ppm of atmospheric carbon dioxide levels. Ice coverage is at a historic low in the Artic, polar bears are migrating inland and mating with grizzlies.

We are treating our planet like a blank check, expecting infinite growth on a finite planet. You can expect more mass migrations in the future.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

I always have to laugh at the silly Republicans who worry about the environmental cost of "manufacturing" solar panels and wind turbines. Gas and coal refineries and power plants ALSO have to be manufactured (and at a much higher environmental cost). But the environmental cost to manufacture them is absolutely minuscule compared to the pollution they put out by burning their fuel - not to mention the fact that these fuels have to be shipped hundreds if not thousands of miles.

We can build wind turbines and solar panels that get their energy on the spot and don't put out green house gases. Or, we can be stupid, and build more gas and coal planets and refiners that put pollution into our atmosphere and need their fuel brought to them from halfway around the world. Which one do you think sounds more efficient?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse
    We can build wind turbines and solar panels that get their energy on the spot and don't put out green house gases. Or, we can be stupid, and build more gas and coal planets and refiners that put pollution into our atmosphere and need their fuel brought to them from halfway around the world. Which one do you think sounds more efficient

Coded Logic did you read the link in my previous post about germany and their dependance on imported fossel fules to maintain/suppliment their wind/solar energy sourcees?

The dependnance on fossel fuels does not go away with that "clean" energy. However, with nuclear it does.

"While the EU as a whole needed to import 53.6 percent of the energy it consumed in 2016, Germany’s dependence was still higher with an import share of 63.5 percent – a slight rise compared to the previous year’s 61.9 percent."

Now, Isn't Germany claimed to have100% of the energy it uses as renewable such as wind and solar? This fossel fuel must be used for when the sun power isn't enough, or the turbines need a restart ( wich is a continuous thing across these turbines)

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    However, with nuclear it does.

What about nuclear waste? Where are they putting that now, it used to be in sealed barrels underground.

• Judgejudy
    Judgejudy

Not a believer. I have see too much of the media if not lying having an agenda. Oil has given us the ability to live like no one has ever lived but the most wealthy in history. There is nothing that can take its place at the moment. The Media will cry about how we need to change at the same time flying all over the world in private jets and living like kings.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse
    What about nuclear waste? Where are they putting that now, it used to be in sealed barrels underground.

Absolutly a good question! One that has been worked on. Using research spending on this a good idea. Especially in order to reuse the stockpiles of waste.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/nuclear-fuel-cycle/fuel-recycling/processing-of-used-nuclear-fuel.aspx

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Really interesting nonjwspouse, thanks for the link.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit