Climate Change - True Believer or Skeptic?

by Simon 129 Replies latest jw friends

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Sadly, I've read that the emperor's penguin nursery on a large ice shelf, has disappeared, drowning the chicks - this is sad but how much of it is to do with anthropogenic factors?

You know that ice shelves have never stayed the same size forever, right?

They've grown and shrunk throughout (pre)-history.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Ever notice how blizzards are "just a weather event, not evidence that global warming is wrong" but any localized flood or hurricane is touted as "proof" that anthropogenic climate change is real?

Doesn't it remind you of a certain group of people?

"When good things happen it's the truth, when bad things happen it's the truth..."

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

David Attenborough has just done a Progarmme on it, I have not yet had a chance to watch it. Has anybody else, did it make you mess your pants or what ?

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

LoveUnni - Volcanoes affect the earth when they spew ash and gases. The fine ash can circle around the earth for several months affecting weather. Are you saying the chemicals and pollutants from factories don't have an effect? I'm not talking extremes but certainly they do something to the earth.

• cofty
    cofty
    Which is the bigger number? 200 or 24?

24 billion is bigger than 200 million by an order of magnitude.

• Simon
    Simon
    24 billion is bigger than 200 million by an order of magnitude.

Yeah, apparently I need to put glasses on / not copy and paste so quick

• barry
    barry

https://youtu.be/gJwayalLpYY This I believe is a fair appraisal of the so called climate debate without the hysteria and frothing at the mouth by the lunatic fringe. Well worth the time for your consideration

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Are you saying the chemicals and pollutants from factories don't have an effect? - factory chemicals and other pollutants obviously have an effect.

We should try and reduce our carbon footprint and look for cleaner ways to live, certainly.

But all this crap that we have x amount of years to save the earth, spouted by Greta Thunberg and other activists ... well, sorry, but I'm just not buying it.

It sets my bullshit detector off.

I'd like to see some honest scientific investigation, funded by independent philanthropists, that looks at the climate and anthropogenic pollution. Then, I'd like open access to both the scientific report and raw data.

Honest discussion would be great, wouldn't it?

• Simon
    Simon

These sort of things happen all the time. Usually to much less publicity and fanfare than the alarmist headlines based on them:

Irony - the colder temperatures were responsible for incorrect readings that it was warmer. But we're supposed to bankrupt ourselves on the say-so of people who can't read a fucking thermometer!

https://electroverse.net/the-dmi-admits-it-wrongly-reported-greenlands-record-warm-temperature-this-summer/

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Whether it’s human-caused, natural, or some combo of the two, I think we Canadians well weather it fairly well (no pun intended).

At the very least, it’ll open up access to more of the north’s natural resources to us (which we share with our neighbours, BTW), and we’re in no danger of experiencing resource depletion or overpopulation any time soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit