Climate Change - True Believer or Skeptic?

by Simon 129 Replies latest jw friends

• Not_Culty
    Not_Culty

Real (former) NASA Scientist Dr Roy Spencer worked on the software that was jury rigged to do climate models .Heres his take http://www.drroyspencer.com/

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

It's good to be sceptical, generally speaking.

The doomsday proclamations re climate change are quite off-putting - 'act now and save the planet' ... 'we have only 10 years to avert disaster', etc.

That kinda thing is fear-mongering, plain and simple.

What I also find off-putting is that it often seems to be the case that the voices telling me to walk everywhere, get rid of my car, or avoid foreign travel are the same voices who travel in limos and criss-cross the globe in private jets. Anyone remember that global forum on climate change a few years ago in Denmark?

World leaders jetted in on private jet and had to use airports in Norway as well as Denmark because there were so many private planes. This was the same event that Tony Blair and Gordon Brown attended ... but travelled to in separate planes.

Also, take Prince Charles. He passionately believes that humans need to stop polluting the planet, so he made sure he has a Toyota Prius ... but he keeps all of his other Bentleys! Complete twat. Get rid of the gas-guzzling Bentleys, and I'll take you seriously.

Stuff like that really pisses me off. Utter hypocrisy.

Humans may indeed be contributing to climate change and this should be decreased, of course. We can all have smaller carbon footprints.

But how much are humans contributing to climate change? I don't know.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Here's another thing that pisses me off: these protests by school kids were started by a young Swedish girl called Greta Thunberg. She took time off school to protest against humans polluting the planet.

Other school kids in other countries have done similar.

Well, in the UK, if parents take their children on holiday in term time they are fined. There have been many cases of that happening.

So, shouldn't these kids protest in their own time, and not during school hours in term time? Shouldn't their parents be fined for allowing it?

• never a jw
    never a jw

I am skeptical of both sides. However, regardless of the exaggerated doom and gloom headlines on the majority side, we humans have definitely altered the composition of the atmosphere in the last 250 years in an unprecedented ways. We have to be cautious not to be complacent with a position that could hurt coming generations the most. So, yes I am all for reducing emissions as much as it is practically possible.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I'm glad you brought this up as it seems to be blasphemous to ever question this. I'm not saying that it's real or not as I've not spent time researching it myself, but it's the way that climate change or global warming or whatever it's marketed as today that makes me skeptical. It's too reminiscent of propaganda with end of the world scenarios that are just around the corner. My guess is that yes, this is happening and we are contributing but that forecasts of imminent doom are vastly emotional overstatements.

• Tobyjones262
  • Tobyjones262
    Tobyjones262

Personally 2 deg. 100 years from now is past our sell by date and I don't give a shit.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I do not automatically believe anything that the media says about science of any type. Science reporting is pretty awful, generally speaking.

I certainly don't believe what any politician says about science or anything else for that matter.

I also don't buy the "But there's a PhD in Belgium who thinks the opposite of X" argument. Complete nonsense. I'll have a PhD in a few years -- if I tell you the sky is made of pumpernickel bread, please don't believe me.

• Tobyjones262
    Tobyjones262

Breakfast, its called critical thinking. Al Gore had over 15 things found in a court in the movie an inconvenient truth to be false. I don't believe if it is true that its as critical as the alarmists are trying to say it is. AOC the idiot on the left saying the world is dead in 12 years is just obvious bull shit.

• Simon
    Simon
    If you want evidence that our oceans and atmosphere are warming at an unprecedented rate compared to anytime in history - then there are dozens and dozens of scientific papers I can point you to. And if you want evidence that releasing CO2 into our atmosphere is the driving cause of this temperature increase - then there are yet more scientific papers I can point you to.

The warming is not unprecedented compared to anytime in history, it's compared to a very narrow and carefully selected time period where temperatures were low and to exclude previous peaks to make the charts look more "impressive". Some of the data has been changed if it didn't fit the trend or contradicted the conclusion that was demanded.

It's a little like those stats people pull up of Islamic terrorism. They always start the day after 9/11 which is deceptive.

However, if the purpose of this thread is just for you to bash MSNBC - and for liberals to turn around and bash Fox News - then can we all just agree CNN sucks and be done with it?

It's not, but you admit that it is a thing pushed by the left then?

Why are we supposed to believe and just roll over when people shout "science denier" when the same people don't think babies are alive or that men and women are different? There's more evidence of that then there is of man made climate change that is going to kill all live in the next decade.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit