Climate Change - True Believer or Skeptic?

by Simon 129 Replies latest jw friends

• Thomasdam
    Thomasdam

Simon you have it spot on. Now don't tell the left you are making fun of them. They don't get it.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

So we've gone from climate change is not real but....... if it is you really shouldn't live on the coast or an island in case that polar ice melts.

Wait, we need to use nuclear power. It's the best. Why? Well becasue it's better than wind or solar, they're a stupid idea.

Why bother if there's nothing wrong with coal? If global warming is rubbish?

What a waffling argument. So logical! Too deep for me!

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

Now that we have a Genius in the WH we don’t´ have to care about all these “scientific experts” that tells us that something is wrong…

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Here's a thing: if we really are gonna soon destroy the planet with pollution, there'd be an international crisis. All cars would be banned, save for electric ones. Airplanes and buses would also be banned, etc.

Instead, we don't see any of that.

We just see preaching celebrities, such as Bono, tell us to go greener. Well, ok, and perhaps he could stop travelling everywhere by private jet and limo.

All I see is a hypocritical elite telling us plebs what to do, and government taxing us.

That is not saving the planet.

• blondie
    blondie

In the end I think it is not clearly defined or is defined in a way that is confusing to many. I do think that the weather patterns are changing from what they used to be. The cause, well, that is not too clear. I just know from my 66 years of life on this planet and from my experiences from the various places I have lived on earth, the climate is different, especially where I live. When I planted my garden, the planting zone was for one zone lower that meant I had a later planting time. Now I can plant one zone earlier. We have had about 1 tornado a year (or none) in an area that used to be well known for having more tornadoes. Either situation is a positive. but if it keeps getting warmer earlier here, the winter tourist season will suffer and residents will have to go farther north to use their winter play vehicles and skiing.

As to doing things that keep the air and water cleaner, I don't see that as a bad thing.

So I don't consider myself true believer or a skeptic. I think in the end time will tell. It's like my viewpoint in god existence, not enough true evidence he/she does not or does which makes me an agnostic in some people's opinion

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Here's a thing: if we really are gonna soon destroy the planet with pollution, there'd be an international crisis. All cars would be banned, save for electric ones. Airplanes and buses would also be banned

You really think the majority of humans are logical and that politicians actually care about the future? They can actually see further than the end of their noses or the next election? What planet did you say you were from?

• blondie
    blondie

Xanthippe, I remember the Love Canal fiasco where a subdivision was built over a toxic dump (unknown to the people who bought homes there). Then adults and children starting developing cancers at a much higher rate then normal and then the toxic dump was discovered.

I remember an interview on television with one of the vice presidents of the company that dumped the toxic waste.

The interviewer asked him if he wasn't concerned about what his children and grandchildren could experience if other companies did the same thing and his family suffered.

His answer: That was his children's and grandchildren's problem because by then he would be dead but have reaped the financial benefits of his duplicity.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yes Blondie, exactly. People who pollute and damage the earth care about profit and yes they don't even care about their own grandchildren and what they'll inherit. Wealth and status today, that's it, let tomorrow burn.

• waton
    waton

I am a true believer, in conservation, glass enclosed houses for the passive solar collection( in winter country). driving smallish older vehicles, bought at bargain prices.Avoid using the brakes by coasting. Keeping the warm water in the tub, until it's heat is radiated off (leaves rings though). Closing off windows at night with super-insulated reflective shades. Close to zero food waste. Some time ago they build a solar heated, super insulated prototype in Canada's midwest. They did not need the solar heat, the insulation and internal activities were enough to keep the comfort.

If we truly eliminated waste, fashion/redundancy, oversized engines, etc, we could cut calamity by half. at least

no.1. priority, mandatory birth control. quotas for all.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

As usual, when Simon can't win on the facts he has to resort to strawman fallacies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit