Climate Change - True Believer or Skeptic?

by Simon 129 Replies latest jw friends

• Thomasdam
    Thomasdam

waton that is a personal choice. I don't think there is any one on the right who says they want to ban you from making a house out of cow crap if that is your choice. Its the left who wants to ban things. There is a difference. Like the Berlin wall was made to keep people prisoner and the border wall is designed to keep illegals out.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

It seems quite odd to me, to have a scientific question of whether man made contributions to CO2 contribute to climate change..... and to offer the option of skeptic or believer. Especially poignant on an ex religious site.

i very skeptically believe human pollution is likely contributing to climate change and that it is indefensible to not try and reduce that possible contribution, for our childrens sake.

It takes decades to become an expert in this field, armchair opinions are exactly that and dangerous no matter which side they stand by.

By far the majority of experts are in agreement that it it taking place, dangerous and that time is of the essence. That will do for me.

Non expert opinion has already seen me lose nearly three decades to a cult.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@snare&racket: everyone in the scientific community agree that global climate change is happening, this has happened over the passed 4 billion years.

Whether it is warming, cooling, significant, man-made etc is an entirely different topic. Yes, there is a spike that seems to be related to the population growth over the last few centuries, but it seems unrelated to the type of fossil fuels we're burning (wood, coal, oil etc) but more correlated to the amount of farming necessary to support this population growth. Whether it's a problem depends on your perspective, if you zoom out to the 4By range, it seems inconsequential, the dinosaurs survived through various, much larger swings in either direction, if you zoom into the last 1000 year range, it's a catastrophe.

The other question is what to do about it. Here you really have to be careful, you can't just inject chemicals into a global chaotic system and hope for the best, we've learned that most likely we'd be wrong and make it worse. Killing off portions of the population, either as an experiment or as a solution is likewise unacceptable. It seems that we should stop burning fossil fuels, that will stop the climate change (hopefully), but producing solar panels, massive dams, windmills, batteries etc poisons the environment. Nuclear is clean, stable and sustainable - if its properly managed - which nobody seems to trust any government or even their own neighbors to do.

The problem and solution space is very fractured and if there were an easy answer, we'd all be doing it by now. Nobody wants to die or have their investments destroyed by unpredictable weather but nobody trusts a government to do anything right and as things get worse, anyone with a 'solution' gets a platform even though it may be utterly ludicrous (eg. AOC's Green New Deal) which destroys the trust in anyone coming up with a sensible solution even further.

In the end, nature will sort itself out, if that means people will massively die-off (as cynical this may sound to be), then people will die although unlikely to be wiped out completely as a species, we may have a collapse of civilization (which may comically, per capita, result in more fossil fuels like wood and dung to be burned) but that will be at least another 100 years. Hopefully in between then and now, we'll have leaders stepping up and hopefully for us it's not green Hitler or Stalin.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    By far the majority of experts are in agreement that it it taking place, dangerous and that time is of the essence. That will do for me.

It will do for me too Snare. The strangest thing is you watch someone come on here and try and talk about creationism or the paranormal and they get bombarded with scientists say this....

Suddenly mention climate change and we can't believe a word scientists say. Talk about confirmation bias.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse
    snare&racket: everyone in the scientific community agree that global climate change is happening, this has happened over the passed 4 billion years.

It not quite all believe it is human caused, and when really looking into the stats, it not 90%. There are differences of opinion. Also, don't foget who funds the climate science research, and what is benefiting from the Carbon Credit or taxing emmissions.

http://ossfoundation.us/projects/environment/global-warming/myths/31000-scientists-say-no-convincing-evidence

Now I believe basically all believe change is happening. It is known the climate changes on the earth in cycles. A faster cycle caused by humans? I find it hard to believe. Do what we can to clean up our environment, sure! Burden our economy doing so. Nope. There is a balance. The massive smog of the 70's was out of balance.

We can all do what we can personally to keep our cities and water clean. It is just common sense to want a cleaner environment.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Non expert opinion has already seen me lose nearly three decades to a cult - yes.

And non-expert opinion keeps telling us on a regular basis that we have ten years to save the planet. As an ex-JW, I've heard all this shit before.

Very similar to JW end-time preaching.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

If you believe in it, then start doing something about it rather than discussing if it is or it isnt !

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
  • Thomasdam
    Thomasdam

Latest seems to indicate polar bears population quadrupedal. Another brick in the GW wall collapses. https://www.thegwpf.org/polar-bear-numbers-could-have-quadrupled/

• barry
    barry

I'm a skeptic on global warming and all the lies that goes with it. I would suggest that the earth is cooling because of the lack of sunspot activity and at the same time the earth is getting a dose of CO2 from fossil fuel . One may be cancelling out the other but what happens when the low activity of the sun ends?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit