Climate Change - True Believer or Skeptic?

by Simon 129 Replies latest jw friends

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    The warming is not unprecedented compared to anytime in history,
    -Simon

I didn't say the warming was unprecedented. I said the rate of warming is unprecedented. And this is the problem. Our atmosphere and oceans have risen in temperature more over the past 100 years than it has in the past 100,000 years. The earth goes through natural cycles of warming and cooling - over geological spans. Not human lifetime spans.

This is a problem because it doesn't give ecosystems time to adapt results in mass extinctions, desertification, and stronger and stronger weather systems (i.e. less habitable to humans).

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    The earth didnt always have polar ice caps. Must it have polar ice caps for us to survive? - Simon

If you live in an island nation yes!

If you don't want to be flooded dont live near a river or the sea. - Simon

Seriously? See my previous comment!

• Simon
    Simon
    If you live in an island nation yes!

OK, so assuming it's all true. What then makes more sense:

A few thousand people need to relocate ...

... or we try to act like King Canute, stopping the tide coming in? Pay trillions of $$$ so that those people can continue to live where they do?

Flood defences and costal barriers are short term tactics but are the sensible long term solutions? It's been shown that many just shift the problem elsewhere. They are talking about building out Manhattan Island into the sea under the guise of "flood defences" but it sounds more like creating some prime real-estate and having tax-payers foot the bill for it.

Is it sensible to build in areas prone to flooding? What happens when we prevent flooding and reclaim marshlands etc... What happens to all that water?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Millions of people not a few thousand. I hope your economy can cope with all those ex-fisherman living inland.

I believe eighty-five percent of Australians live on the coast becasue it's too hot anywhere else.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Simon - "... lying by omission is one of the cleverest because it uses facts but paints a misleading (sometimes outright false) picture but it's impossible to point to anything specifically as the lie..."

Yup.

Once more, for the newbies, lurkers, and trolls...

...if you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, your beliefs don't deserve to be defended.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    Why are we supposed to believe and just roll over when people shout "science denier" when the same people don't think babies are alive or that men and women are different?

Please point me to a single person on here who has said that babies aren't alive. Oh, what's that, you can't because no one has EVER said that? Stop obfuscating and start addressing what people are actually saying. Your persistent "whataboutism" is getting tedious.

• Simon
    Simon
    Please point me to a single person on here who has said that babies aren't alive

The democrats are pushing for 9-month abortions - effectively legalized infanticide. The myth of infinite genders has "pure left" all over it. Or maybe the parties just this minute switched, you know, like you imagine they did with slavery.

Your persistent "whataboutism" is getting tedious.

You can deny it all you want, it's a fact. It's not my fault you find your political party's views morally repugnant and impossible to defend but don't try to blame me for pointing to them as evidence.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

On the other hand does all of the coal fired power stations around the world contribute to any Climate change ?

Does all of the exhaust fumes of all the cars around the world contribute to any change in Climate ?

They say there is a City in the sky above us with over 1 million people anytime of the day or night flying above us .

All of these Jets spew out exhaust fumes constantly all around the world night and day ,how much pollution are they causing every minute of the day and night ? Do they contribute to any change in climate ?

I don`t know ,but surely it must be having some effect somehow on the environment because the environment was never subjected to this amount of man made pollution 200 years ago.

• barry
    barry

You can't argue against global warming it's a ten billion dollar a year industry. Capitalism at it's finest when you can sell something that doesn't exist

• Simon
    Simon
    On the other hand does all of the coal fired power stations around the world contribute to any Climate change?

Yes, but "renewables" simply don't generate enough power and have their own environmental issues.

The answer is Nuclear of course.

Does all of the exhaust fumes of all the cars around the world contribute to any change in Climate?

Definitely, they create pollution. But the air in modern western cities is cleaner now than it was before cars. Instead of taxing people, it's better that market forces produce cleaner and cheaper to run vehicles.

All of these Jets spew out exhaust fumes constantly all around the world night and day, how much pollution are they causing every minute of the day and night? Do they contribute to any change in climate?

So how much pollution for Al Gore to fly over the pole so he could point and say "oooh, ice!". Truly, a monumental discovery of earth shattering importance. Right up their with his invention of the intertubes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit