Pro Gun Florida mom shot by 4 year old son

by Witness 007 94 Replies latest jw experiences

• juandefiero
    juandefiero
    @juandefiero glad to hear you say this but to be honest that's not at all how you acted with me a month or so ago. A bit of pot and kettle.

I'm pretty sure I've toned down my rhetoric since then. Keep on keepin on.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

@RubaDub but the mom surely should/could have right? I mean the sheer stupidity to be cruising around like that is unreal.

Imagine if pepper spray, a taser or a knife etc slipped from under the seat could have lost complete control of the vehicle and they could have both been killed. The point is lots of bad things can happen when you're irresponsible and stupid.

Or better yet be responsible and prevent all of it and put the kid in a child safety seat as required by law. Unless I missed it haven't see the pro-banners here mention that the kid should have been in a child seat to begin with. Let's forget about all the other aspects to this story and go right to the controversy I guess.

• Dick Trashy
    Dick Trashy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ4EQFcFQQo

When you do not have a gun you use THE FORCE.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What a sad story with a ironic twist to it.

Mother carries a gun in her car to supposedly protect herself and her child , then the child uses the gun on her killing her dead.

The idiocy part to this story is that no one should carry a loaded weapon inside their vehicle when its preconceived that children will be transported in that vehicle repetitively.

I'm reminded of the woman who took her young teenage son to gun ranges to practice shooting with the guns she bought intentionally and supposedly as a training means of protection, then the kid uses those same guns on her then goes to a local elementary school and kills dozens of people there as well.

So much for instilling self protection by gun possession.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Hadriel, I did mention that the child should have been in a safety seat in my first comment on page 1.

The mother was irresponsible in multiple areas. So, my question is how do you keep irresponsible people from owning guns?

• done4good
    done4good

Aggressive, divisive rhetoric like yours, Simon's and others is why the NRA still has the power they do.

Post was deleted again....

No, they have the power they have because of the $$$ of the gun lobby. If only I had that kind of influence.

No, it is not rhetoric at all. These are facts based on sound mathematical principles of probability, used across many fields of study. Call me condescending if you want, but if the pro-gun folks on this board applied the same critical thinking skills to this issue as they applied to leaving the WTS, they would see the same patterns of logical fallacy.

Sorry, but the rest of the world gets it. Being different is not always "good". Dislike on.

d4g

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Greatteacher, I have a shot gun loaded in my room but its on the top shelve of a closet and I'm the only one tall enough to reach it. I also have a pistol with the a gun lock on it the key in a different place as well as the clip. Getting a gun safe with a combo so I can have it the pistol ready but only I know the combo. Also both my older boys have been trained how to use the pistol and have shot it at a gun range. Teaching kids about guns and how to use and respect them is the best way to reduce the odds of having kids accidently shooting it off. No it's not full proof but it's proven to be a better strategy then doing nothing with the kids.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Glad you're teaching your kids gun safety.

I personally wouldn't have a loaded shotgun in my bedroom. Anybody could be tall enough to reach it with a step-stool.

I think it's important to keep a gun unloaded until you intend to use it.

Good on you for using a gun lock and storing the clip in a separate place, as well as getting a gun safe. They're expensive, but a good investment safety.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

@GreatTeacher you can't. Mass murderers have proven they'll procure the weapons somewhere. All for gun laws but even if you ban them they'll still get them.

Drugs are banned right? How's that working out? It's done nothing but cause violence. Do I think reasonable drug laws are required yes but the stringent nature of it all has caused nothing but more and more violence. This can't be argued.

Again zero issues with making obtaining guns difficult however banning them altogether might literally make things far worse. I genuinely believe that, just as it did with narcotics.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

There is a contradiction between guns being a protection and guns being safe. The only way a gun can be a protection is if it is, by definition, unsafe - if it's loaded, to hand and ready to shoot.

No contradiction. A safe gun doesn't need to be a gun closet that has 7 keys and blocked by furniture. There are many gun locking safes and mechanisms that can be unlocked in seconds.

You cannot gauge the US by the same gun "logic" that is used for other countries. We are not the UK or France, where guns were always pretty much out of the public's hands. We already have guns, many guns, and we've had them around for a long time.

If there was a way to make all guns magically disappear from the US, i'd say do it, but trying to restrict them now in the manner that the UK or France do, means that the only people who won't have guns are people who actually care about restrictions and laws.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit