How do you deal with depression?

by BlackWolf 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Worldling9
    Worldling9

And don't rule out meds...it's often just a matter of finding the right one for you. Just please stay away from drugs and alcohol. They are tempting but will just get in your way.

wl9

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I just want to point out that there's nothing wrong with pills, if you need them, and that they aren't magic. I'm sorry you had a bad reaction, but instead of running away you probably needed either a different med or dosage. You have to be allowed to work with them for a time to get things straight.

With that said, pills are just a tool, you have to have other tools like counseling, the ability to control your own life, and support. Your parents are extremely a abusive and negligent. Get away from them, live life free, and things may clear up. You should definitely still see a therapist as you come out of this, and if someday you need a pill, that's cool too, just know that getting it right is a process, not a one time thing. Brain chemistry is tricky and always changing.

• LaurenM
    LaurenM

I struggle with depression too..but once you get out on your own, start making new friends & discovering yourself it gets a lot better :)

• HBH
    HBH

Hi BW,

You'd have to be crazy not to be depressed in your situation. IMO, the real core of the problem is in the culture. The US has the #1 depression rate in the world. See Here

My advise would be to "spin straw into gold", try to find a new surrogate family and social network. I would strongly consider some kind of foreign exchange/education. Search for ways to fund it. Your soon free from your old family, forge a path for yourself and your siblings.

You want to cure depression, get a passport and get the hell out of here. That's what I'm gonna do as soon as I'm free of my parental care taking responsibilities.
    All the best,

HBH

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Do you have a passport? If so, and you can afford to buy an airline ticket to Warsaw, Poland, I will put you up for 3 months (your legal limit). That should be enough time to start to get your head on straight. Is anybody in the US able to make a similar offer?

If not, why not? Are we just all talk here and not willing to help out?

• Giordano
    Giordano

Hi Blackdog. Why don't you call your local High School and see if you have the right as a 17 year old to go to High School if your parents don't want you to. Or at the very least to be tested to see how well the home schooling is working out. Maybe your ready to test for a GED.

Then find a full time job so you can start saving money for your move.

Also contact child services and or social services to try to get some therapy and counseling.

Getting care and treatment for your emotional state is important.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

@FadtoBlack,

Is anybody in the US able to make a similar offer? If not, why not? Are we just all talk here and not willing to help out?

I wish I were able to help out like that. I rent a room from a couple and live with their disabled daughter and I make about $1000 a month. I am in no place to offer anything more than advice. But I would offer my home if I had one of my own.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    BlackWolf : Thanks everyone, I'm going to try to stay more positive.

That's it kiddo!

The best revenge on the bastards is to have a good life, whey they want you to have a bad life (if you leave).

Call on your survival instincts! At the worst moments that befall us - that's all any of us have. There are still millions far worse off that yourself, and the instinct to survive is all that they have.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

If you have anorexia and they are refusing medical treatment, that is abuse. Anorexia is a serious disorder and needs proper treatment, both physical and emotional.

PLEASE see your own doctor. If they are a pediatrician, tell them what is going on, briefly and succinctly. They HAVE to report it even if you aren't saying your parents are evil brainwashed idiots. (oops, sorry). Your parents can be hateful and vindictive, or they could have the sense knocked into them. If vindictiveness is the ruling thing, then you need to run to child protective services. If they are going to put you out, get it done NOW, because the state will at least try to HELP YOU FOR REAL. Schools, local youth centers-a lot of places will help kids who need it, especially when you are a good kid, just trying to survive, not running away and committing crimes. ASK for help in the simple ways, first. Give your parents a chance to get educated on the harm they are doing.

If, when you are 18-if they do kick you out, you will have some friends here and elsewhere and hopefully will have developed some resources. You need to start looking after your future NOW, your parents sure the hell don't seem to be.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

BlackWolf, I try real hard to give advice within the boundaries of what someone will listen to and/or actually do. I won't tell someone to go to the emergency room for "depression" and problems with an eating disorder if they won't go. I will scream it if they are thinking of hurting themselves or others.

I won't say you should try to get more medication if that's not what you want. People do need to know that meds change you in good and bad ways. You seem to know that and don't like more meds. Okay.

So, you can go to the meetings and put in some bogus token "service" or you can leave at 18. Leaving at 18 is not as terrible as it sounds. It would be an excellent time to reach out to some college and have them help you find the counseling you need while you also figure out future short-term and long-term goals about where to live, work, and further your education.

It would help if there are any non-JW relatives willing to let you crash at their home until you find a way, but not impossible for you if that's not the case.

Before this time, you need to get a grip on that depression and stay busy. You need to work, exercise. Just think how ready you can be. No matter what, you can be ready for the opposite sex if you exercise.

The road is rough, but not impossible. You can do it. Sure, you will have money problems for years, but so many of us have them anyway. You will find your way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit