How do you deal with depression?

by BlackWolf 62 Replies latest jw friends

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

This is just me talking; a personal experience. Hearsay.

I fought depression for many, many years and did not know what it was or why it was. This was due to the fact I would never acknowledge it was depression. I was just "moody."

But, I wanted to take a run at a wall with my head. That's exactly what I fantasized doing.
    Anyway. . .

It finally grew to such serious proportion I wondered where it would all end? (Or where I would end.)

One day, I was listening to the radio and there was a discussion (I think it was on NPR) about St.John's Wort. I decided I would try it because it was over-the-counter and I have a phobia (almost) about drugs (prescription) although I have taken antibiotics on rare occasions.

Cut to the chase.

I ended up trying 4 different brands and only one of those brands "worked" for me.
    My symptoms simply went away.
    If I couldn't get that particular brand, they symptoms would come back.

I skeptically assumed I was experiencing a placebo effect. Yet--that one brand did work and the others didn't. So--I dunno.

Here is the bottom line.
    This may sound a bit fuzzy.
    But--I learned where that feeling of "normal" was inside my head. I sort of staked it out and memorized it so I could find my way back.
    Then, I dropped the pills and did just that.

It has been about 18 years. The depression has not returned (and that without pills.)
    I seem to always (well 97%) be in a jovial mood--even when I 1st wake up.

Make of it what you will.
    It is just a testimonial and not evidence of any sort.
    I'd tell you the brand of St.John's Wort but I won't.
    Validate your own experiment.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Blackdog free mental health care until your 18 you've got to get some of that at least call and talk to someone.

If you want to try the St John's Wort idea here is a good place to research:

http://www.ethnoherbalist.com/st-johns-wort-for-depression/

They also recommend three brands becausenot every St Johns Wort has St Johns Wort in it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

BlackWolf - "How do you deal with depression?"

Distraction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit