How do you deal with depression?

by BlackWolf 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

As PB addict above mentioned WORK OUT ! IT really helped me especially when your age I was orphaned, my uncle tutor mismanaged our estate and I had self esteem issues. Sports were great for me especially the bodybuilding was able to flip off most people that harmed me earlier was great, sweet revenge. Seriously Black Wolf time heals all and many good suggestions above education, reading, sports, the outdoors, arts / crafts - engineering -medicine- law - finance you name it ! Make the rest of your life the best of your life ( sounds cliché I know but even in my early fifties I live by that moto. The JW thing was a HUGE learning experience for me ) Look up the book by investor Jim Rogers https://www.amazon.com/Gift-My-Children-Fathers-Investing/dp/1400067545

Bets wishes we are rooting for you dear !

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Your parents are trying to manipulate you into obedience. Like that's going to somehow put loyalty to the religion in your heart. In their weird world they believe that's going to work. But come your 18th birthday (which, being witnesses, they won't even acknowledge), I am pretty sure they won't say anything right away. You will probably have more time than that. But be prepared if the worst happens. I know you re going to finish high school early, so get a job and save your money like mad. Work on that relationship with your aunt via Facebook. Try to think positively about your situation. You have freedom in front of you, and believe me, it's going to feel miraculous. Don't get involved in drinking and drugs or falling for the wrong kinds of partners, it would be easy to go that route. Concentrate on things you love, like Art and develop your curiosity about everything you could learn about. Enjoy your freedom fully in good ways, like getting involved in environmental activism, politics, or just celebrating holidays or going out dancing. I'm excited for you. You will have times of missing your parents in your life, but because you were never baptized, maybe they won't be out of your life. They are going to miss you too, and might find ways to make it work.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Make sure you are eating well and getting enough sleep, take vitamins. I find meditation and exercise helpful. Look for the silver lingings, no matter how bad things are there is still plenty to be thankful for, and taking time to feel gratitude for what you do have helps you deal with what you don't have. You are young and healthy, that's a whole lot.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

http://theconsciouslife.com/how-to-meditate-a-guide-for-beginners.htm

Here is a website on beginning meditation. Meditation has proven health benefit, It lowers blood pressure, relieves stress and depression and enhances well being. If anyone needs meditation, it's ex JWs, as it helps you deal with difficult emotions and become more self aware. It has been life changing for me. I have ADHD, and meditation has helped me improve my focus and concentration. The Watchtower associates it with religion and spiritualism, but that is nonsense. While some religions do use meditation, it is not a religious practice in itself, and of course it has nothing to do with demons, lol.

I highly recommend it for any ex JW.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear BlackWolf:

I hope you will hang in there. Many here have responded with love and encouragement.

My spouse and I were fanatical and unreasonable with our teenager. When it came to our child doing self-harm, we snapped out of our cult mode and said, "You don't have to be a Witness, just obey the house rules. You don't have to go to the KH anymore." The rebellion stopped and peace and love came into our home.

Well, that action on our part didn't please the powers that be. But we saved our child and have a wonderful relationship still, 30 years later.

Hope this helps, though it's from a different vantage point.

Love, from a grateful father,

CoCo

• never a jw
    never a jw

Exercise has been the best medicine for me to cure any physical and mental ailments. Try it. I hope yo do and stick to it, not as a temporary remedy, but as a permanent lifestyle. Your priorities should be in this order

Focus

Fitness (physical and mental)

Finances

Family and friends (only if they are healthy)

Fulfillment and felicity will come next

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

DO NOT SAY YOU ARE SUICIDAL IF YOU ARE NOT! Did you hear that? You do not want to open that door if its not true. You will open yourself to a 72 hour hold in some cases and a start of a file documenting your being unbalanced by the county/gov mental health system. If you are suicidal then call a hotline and get help. By all means speak up. Take a breath about all this and let it play out. From what I have read you are not going to panic. No matter what, when you are 18 you will be somewhere. You can't help but be somewhere. If you stay positive something will open for you. All the best!

• kaik
    kaik
    One the best way to deal with depression is physical activity like jogging, hiking, and working out. Sun increases positive feeling (which is reason why people tends to suffer with depression in winter), and weight lifting also improves overall mood and well-being.
  • BlackWolf
    BlackWolf

Thanks everybody, I will try the exercise ( though it's so hot where I live). My parents told me that I can only live with them if I go to all the meetings an out in service 3 times a week, those are the house rules apparently. I can't legally move out yet, so I'm forced to be a jw. It irritates me that children have no rights when it comes to religion. :(

Anyways, I'm trying to look on the bright side. I haven't had any success with my aunt, (we aren't close and she's busy all the time) but it's OK. I've realized that I can't rely on my family members, I have to be independent. I'm thinking of moving somewhere ive never been before and starting a new life. :)

• BlackWolf
    BlackWolf

Wasaneleder once: I know what you mean, I've been to the mental hospital ( aka prison) quite a few times already and it was horrible. I don't joke around with that stuff anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit