The book burning has started

by pale.emperor 74 Replies latest jw experiences

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"But your parents and your parent’s siblings are of the same generation..."

No they aren't. There are 3 distinct generations there.

If you insist of redefining words then there is no point in a discussion with you, is there...

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/generation

Lots of definitions there... You choose one.

And now compare...

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/contemporary

This generation will not pass away.

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"The denial of simple facts and logic here is astounding!"

Projection!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There was a BOE letter that gave a choice to keep a library or else make a computer or tablet available in the KH. Elders were to make up their own mind. It said space might be a factor, but surely most KHs have room for a library, even if just one wall of the smaller room.

• freddo
    freddo

Bob-a-job said

"If WT didn’t each any of of this, this would be no problem for you all to accept."

"Generation" - every reputable dictionary defines this one way - WT defines it as another.

"587 BCE" - every reputable historian says this was the year of the fall of Jerusalem - WT defines it as another year - 607 BC.

I see a pattern ...

• skin
    skin

This is how it happened here in this area (New Zealand). It would be about 5-6 years ago now, we had a letter read out to the congregation from the Branch office (Australia). They requested that all the old books (in the KH library or our personal collections) be sent over to the Branch because they needed them for the JW museum that they were putting together over there. Our extensive KH library disappeared, and so did another KH library that I know of. There was also a rumor going around at the time, that because of the cost to post these books over to Australia, the instruction was then to destroy them.

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

Note of correction.

I misread a post from bobby above:

"But your parents and your parent’s siblings are of the same generation..."

Yes they are but their children are not.

Just out of interest, in the scripture that clearly alludes to the generation that will not pass away what was the Bible referring to?

A child who has yet to reproduce, a parent or a grandparent or a great grandparent?

Logically you would say those who were decoding the Bible. But maybe it was referring to the youngest generation. So if a child was 1 they would be over 100 now. There are a few people of that age range and contemporary with that time period left in the world but not many. I can understand why new light was needed in order to avoid another 1975 embarrassment but this overlapping generation crap just beggars belief.

It's almost like the GB don't care anymore. And it's not like they needed to rush to be 'inspired' because if the generation referred to was the youngest you could probably allow a few extra years after this supposed date of interest as that would remain in keeping with what the Bible states and with what this channel of god's truth has been selling this past century. A simple clarification of what may be inferred by generation would have bought them another decade or two.

But instead we have this carbuncle of a teaching that requires people like you bobby to twist meanings of words. And you lap it up!

As another poster often writes:

It's a cult.

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

Don't have time to read whole thread, but I want to let you know what I know. I've heard that new Kingdom Halls can choose to have a digital or paper library. This is just a way to burn books if you think about it.

Edit: o.k. I read it now

• RolRod
    RolRod

This has happened before, I remember in the 80s a letter being read to the congregation from the Society, it told of all the branch offices they were building and how they needed old books preferably before 1950 to stock in their libraries, and asked that JWs and Kingdom Hall libraries send their books. This was done. I later learned from a high ranking bethelite that these books were destroyed.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

The concept of the "Overlapping Generation" is quite simple really. I find this graphic to be helpful:

• never a jw
    never a jw

Bobo2446

"Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. (Luke 21:32)

"Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:28)

Is it possible that Matthew and Luke used different wording for the same idea???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit