The book burning has started

by pale.emperor 74 Replies latest jw experiences

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

One can only wonder to what lengths the WTBorg Cult Inc. will go to distance itself from its false past. Could this move indicate that a re-vamping of The Cult may be in the works? Putting on a new set of clothes to appear to be something different?

Not that it will make any difference of course...

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

TBH we don't have to wait. Every one of us can swipe the important stuff in small quantities and discreetly right now . . . Because JWs never even USE the stuff, they're like relics that collect dust, they wouldn't even notice

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Interesting. We're downsizing my mother's collections of decades, which includes WT bound volumes, and scores of brightly colored books from the 40s, 50s 60s and more. I've encouraged her to hold on to them as I thought I might like to have the actual "hard copy" reference available for some things.

Most recently though, I've become not to care so much for anything JW -- what they say, what they do, etc. so I was considering have a bonfire too.

Maybe I should rethink this?

• Sliced
    Sliced

Well this kind of book dumping happened here in the states about 4-5 years ago at our old KH. There was an announcement that the library was being cleared out to "make room" for something or another... older publications were being stacked up and it was announced to bring in your own older publications since we now had them on CD and off the new website. There was no mention of "well, if anyone wants these older books, feel free to add them to your library" as was the case in times past. I remember thinking it was odd to ask people to bring in old books, but it was (of course) a passing thought at the time. Now, I realize exactly what they were doing---- and they DID DO IT!! Only pubs from the late 90's and up were left... NO JOKE! They had successfully wiped their history books in our old hall--- everyone complied.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

This happened in my hall.

During a work-day at the hall, The co-ordinator directed that all older books (in this case 1980 and older) were to be boxed up and thrown to the tip.

I was kind of still in, and so objected and stated that "this is part of our rich spiritual heritage", as I had just had a talk on that subject not long before. The talk encouraged us to value all the older books.

In the end, I hid them all under the KHall, and progressively borrowed one after another to check them through. That is when I found out the really crazy stuff "we" used to believe!

These very books, "Our rich Spiritual Heritage" were full of wacky and crazy stuff!

It was then that I understood why they wanted it all destroyed!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

They can destroy the KH books all they want but copies are out there in thrift stores, on ebay and apostate bookshelves everywhere. Images on google show they existed and exist. Everybook they ever published is at Warwick are they going to destroy the ones at Warwick also?

If...if, they are still sending out destroy old books directives this is just so ordinary JWs don't have access to them. Out of sight out of mind.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

There are PDFs online of virtually everything they've printed, so I guess the only value hard copies have now is in reverse witnessing. Show a JW a real book and they'll trust it. Show them an electronic version not from JWdotORG and it may be "apostate lies".

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PALE.EMPEROR:

This isn’t new. Through the years they got rid of things in Kingdom Hall libraries.

The religion knows their old publications with past teachings are an embarrassment and they want to get rid of them - or prevent anybody new from reading them! I remember donating a very old JW book that a lady I studied with gave me - it disappeared from the hall library never to be seen again.

This means old publications are valuable and people should hang onto them as proof. But, thank heaven for the internet. This religion cannot hide its past like it used to.

• flipper
    flipper

It's 1984 George Orwell style all over again. WT Society attempting to burn and incinerate their history so nobody finds out their mistakes . Really creepy

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Several years ago my mother in law cleaned out her vast bookcase of WT literature/books. I don't know what she did with them, but I think they were to destroy them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit