The Scientific Method

by cofty 83 Replies latest social humour

• captaingrl
    captaingrl

how?

My claim is we don't have a lot of new theories these days. I don't see how that quote disprove that.

Einsteins theory, which the quote is about, is 100 years old BTW.

• captaingrl
    captaingrl

funny how everyone on this thread thinks I am a total idiot but nobody can answer my question lol.

in my opinion, it is a sign of intellectual insecurity to point out ones own education in a discussion rather than addressing the issue!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    nobody can answer my question lol.

bullshit

your question has been answered

just because you won't accept the answer doesn't mean it didn't happen

*to add: lol!

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Only thing I get out of all this is that DJS is definitely elder material.

• captaingrl
    captaingrl

opencrow:

yah somebody pointed to epigenetics as an example of a recent scientific theory...

I think that just illustrate my point, as epigenetics is not very important compared to evolution (=a theory) itself.

do you disagree???

what other theories would you point to?

MrRoboto, lmao, I was thinking the same thing!

"I have a MBA and aaaalmost a phd".

ha!

• DJS
    DJS

I just knew Ms. Roboto and Princess Captain Gurl would finally combine their intellects. Together they reached 100 on the IQ scale. Yay!!! Such a milestone requires a commemorative photo. Smile guys. Or not.

• DJS
    DJS

Ms. Roboto is the typical Conspiracy Theorist. She has a limited education, she has never accomplished anything important in life, is too lazy to obtain an education or do what is necessary to accomplish anything meaningful, and she surfs the web from her mom's basement obsessively scouring various CT and Right Wing Nut Quackery websites and then terrorizing the good people of Gotham with her shiny new toy.

She is typical that is with one exception: She lacks courage. Yes, class, Ms. Roboto won't own her CT. She's afraid we will make fun of her if she admits to being a CT. We will of course, but at least we will have some respect for her to finally OWN it. So I'm going to help her own it and to stop being a limp wrested, flaccid, impotent, CT denying coward. It's the least I can do.

Ms. Robot0: What makes a king out of a slave? Courage! What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage! What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage! What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? Courage! What makes the dawn come up like THUNDER?! Courage. What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in ape-ricot? Whatta they got that you ain't got?

Courage.

Soooo, by the power vested in me by AWEs (get it, AWEs/OZ), I hereby bequeath to the cowardly Ms. Roboto what she clearly lacks. You dear, are now ordained as a card carrying member of Conspiracy Theorists R Us. Go forth and terrorize the natives on the world wide web.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Scientist sad

That's where the meme is wrong. When the data tells us something that we were not expecting, is precisely the point where the investigation gets interesting and the scientific method gets down to work.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Here's on older thread on a very closely related topic:

It's interesting to note how quickly that thread also was hijacked by ignorant, off-topic comments from people that clearly didn't understand the subject well but wanted to argue it anyways!

• captaingrl
    captaingrl

I keep hearing I am ignorant, yet nobody will answer my question! LMAO.

About 100 years ago, man discovered many, grand theories that would reshape science. Today, not so much, more like innovation within existing theories.

Elder cofty weighted in that we discover facts and not theories... except I had a quote of actual scientists saying exactly that scientists discover theories!

Then elder cofty went into hiding, and now everyone is calling me an idiot.

Elder DJS promised to call me a bitch, but has settled for "princess"; sticks and stones!

This is like a goddamn elduhr meeting!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit