Williams sisters

by Phil 90 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

What ded said.

• LDH
    LDH

Yesterday, Wimbledon finals--commentator states, "The two sisters were raised as devout JWs--I laughed so hard snot flew.

Everyone knows Pops wasn't no JW--and as they made this remark, the camera was focused on Mom. With her nose ring, fake blond weave, and black leather outfit.

I wonder who was the "devout JW."

LOL.

Lisa

• Mulan
    Mulan

I still remember the Olympic ceremony where they wrapped a huge American flag around themselves and paraded around. I think I heard they are not baptized, but they "know it's the truth".

Didn't you always just HATE that expression?

• Dansk
    Dansk
    I laughed so hard snot flew.

Physio and I just read this and laughed our socks off!

Thanks!

Physio and Dansk

• Maverick
    Maverick

Ditto Dedalus!!!!!! Maverick

• joelbear
    joelbear

I think it gets under our skin because so many of us gave up so much just to claim the moniker "Jehovah's Witness".

I think it also is a bit of them wanting to have their cake and eat it too mentality that is always irking.

It is clear from witness interpretation of the Bible that they are not behaving as "true Christians".

Anyone can say they are anything and hypocrisy is just aggravating.

• dedalus
    dedalus
    I think it gets under our skin because so many of us gave up so much just to claim the moniker "Jehovah's Witness".

Well, if there's a trend of Witnesses having to "give up less" to become or remain Witnesses, so much the better (although in this case, I think it's an anomaly of celebrity).

I think it also is a bit of them wanting to have their cake and eat it too mentality that is always irking.

I think you're being unfair -- the Williams sisters' affiliation with the religion is not something they make a big deal of. Some disgruntled ex-Witnesses do, though, because of ... jealousy, curiosity, self-pity, I don't know.

It is clear from witness interpretation of the Bible that they are not behaving as "true Christians".

So? Fuck the Witness interpretation of it. If they're in some kind of loophole, getting away with stuff we'd've been nailed on, hooray for them. Do you want them to go stoically through their careers, disdaining their own talents, rejecting the frills of celebrity, simply because they haven't publicly reconciled every aspect of their behavior with the strange, cult-like religion in which they've been raised?

Anyone can say they are anything and hypocrisy is just aggravating.

Now they're hypocrites? How quickly and harshly you judge, Joel!

Just my opinion, but I can enjoy their talent without projecting my Witness angst on it.

Dedalus

• teejay
    teejay

Dedalus,

Don't worry too much about Joel. He means well but...

Personally, I'm happy that they can have every joy possible, whether they are true (baptized) JWs or not. If they can get away with it, fine. Good for them. I encourage every JW kid I encounter to go to college, date... whatever. And I heap heartfelt praise on every JW kid who's already doing the things I never could. Besides, it hasn’t been established that they're even JWs. Judging strictly from outward appearances, they aren't.

Just because we lived a hellish upbringing doesn't mean that we should want that for others who are coming up now. Get over yourself, Joel.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Do you want them to go stoically through their careers, disdaining their own talents, rejecting the frills of celebrity, simply because they haven't publicly reconciled every aspect of their behavior with the strange, cult-like religion in which they've been raised?

Yes. Why should there be two sets of rules?

• dedalus
    dedalus

Teejay and Dedalus agreeing twice in one week ... are we in bizarro world or what?

Dedalus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit