Williams sisters

by Phil 90 Replies latest jw friends

• dedalus
    dedalus

Perhaps Joelbear, LDH, and Stephanus should form a judicial committee.

Dedalus

• LDH
    LDH
    Is there a difference (for "our" purposes) between an 'active, baptised' JW and someone who was 'raised in the truth and believes it but doesn't follow the rules'? Does the general public understand the fine points of distinction between these two 'types' of JWs (or those who call themselves JWs)?

Maybe they could hide behind their "unbelieving father" when they were younger, but it's pretty obvious that they're adults now and they are behaving in a stunningly untheocratic manner (competition, calling attention to themselves, wearing 'immodest' attire on international tv, not 'buying out the opportune time from worldly pursuits', that whole 'nose ring' thing of mom's) while still allowing themselves to be portrayed as JWs.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

Asleif,

Those quotes are priceless. i wonder what Teejay has to say now.

Lisa

• teejay
    teejay

What teejay thinks is that Asleif's comments have zero relevance unless the Williams sisters are baptized JWs. Are they? Anyone prepared to answer THAT question yet?

Teejay also thinks that the real issue behind this angst directed at Venus and Serena is nothing more than sheer JEALOUSY. Deal with it!!!

• LDH
    LDH

I can honestly say, my first thought when you said "JEALOUSY" was to....

laugh out loud.

Thanks for the chuckle.

• teejay
    teejay

Whatever, Lisa, but at least it's good to know that you made it home from "the trenches." You know... that place that is just as dangerous as Iraq: your office! *insert eye rolly thingy*

:D

• dedalus
    dedalus
    Maybe they could hide behind their "unbelieving father" when they were younger, but it's pretty obvious that they're adults now and they are behaving in a stunningly untheocratic manner (competition, calling attention to themselves, wearing 'immodest' attire on international tv, not 'buying out the opportune time from worldly pursuits', that whole 'nose ring' thing of mom's) while still allowing themselves to be portrayed as JWs.

Yes -- and this is a good thing. Their faith in God and the role of religion in their lives cannot be measured by nose rings and short tennis skirts. No doubt certain zealous Witnesses look down on them for these sorts of things, but I still don't get why certain ex-Witnesses are so hot about it.

Perhaps celebrity keeps them an arm's length from the judicial committees that would drag them in for this. Perhaps their exposure to the religion has been so scattershot that they don't quite get the sort of religion it is. Meanwhile, the tacit assumption on this thread seems to be that, because they look the way they look, they must also be immoral hypocrites (otherwise, what was the point of LDH's co-worker analogy?).

LDH, those quotes only tell me that the Williams sisters are Witnesses. We already knew that. The disparity between their public image and the strictures of their fundamentalist cult is a problem for Witnesses, maybe for them, but not for me! The most I would admit is that there is an apparent disparity. I would not therefore conclude them to be hypocrites. Rash judgment of individual character is one of the hallmarks of the religion I've abandoned.

Have you seen these girls play?

Dedalus

Edited to add: I liked this comment, which LDH didn't quote:

I don't blame the Williams themselves. If something fishy is indeed going on, it's the society who's at fault for not seeing to it that the rules apply to all equally (but then, we knew that already).
  • teejay
    teejay

>>> Rash judgment of individual character is one of the hallmarks of the religion I've abandoned.

Thank you, Dedalus. Nice post.

• Prisca
    Prisca
    You have no extended interaction with co-workers while blithely delivering packages---I do

As you enjoy the solitary lifestyle of a delivery man, I'm in the trenches

Lisa, why do you bring TJ's work into this?

BTW, since TJ has to live with a JW wife (and possibly associate with other JW relatives), why discount his viewpoints of how JWs view Venus and Serena Williams? Why should the fact that you work (what, 8 hrs a day?) with 2 JWs be worth more points than anything TJ does or says on the matter? And wouldn't he have more access to JWs' viewpoints than someone who doesn't talk to her JW family, or former JW friends?

• minimus
    minimus

This is a great thread. TJ vs. Lisa. Funny too! So far, I must give TJ the edge. But, it ain't over til we find out someone, anyone, that knows them from their congregation and actually saw them get dunked. I'll bet they aren't baptized. But it makes little difference anyway. They're the best tennis players out there, especially Serena......Minimus, of the I love Serena "class".......

• amac
    amac

They are not baptized.

I guess all "fringe" witnesses would be considered hypocrites according to some arguments on this thread. Whatever. At least their not "full blown" and making the mistake of ending their careers so they can pioneer instead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit