Williams sisters

by Phil 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Phil
    Phil

I was recently having a discussion with a JW on the extent to which the Williams family are JWs. His statement was that only the mother is a JW. Papa? Who knows. After a recent tennis tournament one of the girls refered to Jehovah God. As far as I know, only JWs use the two words in combination in that fashion. Does anyone out there no the truth.

• Phil
    Phil

What happens when a person becomes a celebrity while in the org.(michael Jackson, Williams sisters) If they stay in are they allowed to sidestep the fmissionary work or do they just pay something to the org. and Jehovah God will grant special dispensation.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Hello Phil. Both the sisters are JWs and I heard them on TV talking about their faith as JWS. JWs will want to make believe the dad wasnt a JW, especially since he got arrested a few times for beating up their mother.

Jacko had to go on service inspite of his fame.

Brummie

• freedom96
    freedom96

Though they have some ties to the organization, I would hardly call them active, in good standing JW's.

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

Yup, they are both JWs. One of them did the typical athlete thing and thanked Jehovah. God does love sports.

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

I was listening to the radio and the sports guy covering Wimbledon answered some questions that people had emailed in. One was are they JWs. He said yes and that so was most of their family apart from their dad of course.

Does anyone know if they're baptized?

I suppose they must have to go preaching at some point. They don't have to of course, considering how much money they have I doubt they'd ever get shunned for being weak etc.

Ignored One.

• teejay
    teejay

>>>Does anyone know if they're baptized?

Good question, IO. Mine, too.

People can call them Witnesses but are they BAPTIZED? Interested people who have been to a few meetings and have a bible study often call themselves Witnesses, too. Doesn't mean they are.

Any reports of them actually going to the meetings or out in service?

Note: Using the name "jehovah" in an interview doesn't count.

• Gordy
    Gordy

I happen to be listening to BBC World Service about a week ago. They were interviewing Serena Williams about whether she will retain her Wimbledon title.

The interviewer asked how much a part did her religion play in her life. She replied that it gave a good grounding for life when she was younger, but now its not much a part of her life and plays little part in it.

Looking at the way her mother and other two sister were dressed in a photograph that appeared in the papers, I don't think it plays much a part in theirs either!!

• dedalus
    dedalus

Aw, leave the Williams sisters alone. If they are "in good standing," maybe they'll be good role models for Witness kids who still aren't allowed to play sports ... If they aren't "in good standing," then they can enjoy their tremendous and well-deserved success without bothering about a stupid religion holding them back. What's important is that they're kick-ass tennis stars lighting up an otherwise pretty dull (at the moment) sport.

Dedalus

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

I have read in a few different sources that they were raised as Jehovah's Witnesses. They may not be baptized, but if they have been involved with the organization since early childhood I'd still consider them Jehovah's Witnesses.

Edited To Add: I agree, Dedalus! They both rock. I'm partial to Serena, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit