The Watchtower & the cigarette company

by expatbrit 207 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jwsons
    jwsons

to Gcc2k:

Just look in any Commercial and Law Dictionary about the definition of the word "Trust" and you will see how much involvement of WacoTower and Dark Society had with this business.

and remember again:

Quote regarding not investing in "unethical" enterprises

*** g00 10/8 pp. 25-27 Is It Wise to Invest in the Stock Market? ***
    By considering the background of a company, an investor can also ensure that his money will not be used to support an unethical enterprise.—See Awake!, February 8, 1962, pages 21-3.

Did WacoTower and Dark Society "ensure" about the donation they received not come from a brothel, a warfare industry or a Philip Morris CO cigarette ? "Teach others but not teach yourselves" ?

to gypsy:

You print out the pages from original scan, highlight inportant lines and send to your relatives. The documents talk by themselves.

jwsons

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

To Expabrit:

The evidence you have posted namely the WT benefiting from the PH Morris CompanieS does not prove conclusively that the Society derrives moneys from Tobbacco. All you show is an investment in the PH Morris CompanieS whatever that means. Although you appear to state that investing in PH Morris means WTS investing in Tobbaco, and that the PH Morris only means tobacoo, and that the other industries owned by PH Morris are traded SEPERATELY and not included in the PHM companie"S" stated in the Comerica sheet you posted, you have not proven that. I am not eager to convict the WTS of propheting from Tobbaco when that has not been established as fact on this Board. It must be proven that the Society is making money from Tobacco. You have not done that. Hence, the accusations you make against the WT with regard to Tobacco are unfounded and unfair. A case first must be proven before judgement is passed

. You have not posted any more evidence, just made more statements. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

You are wrong. If one invest in Phillip Morris, one invest in a tobacco company. Your stock could actually lose money during the time you were invested, but nonetheless, you would have invested in tobacco.

What hasn't been proven, and in my opinion is very unlikely, is that anyone at the WTBTS actually knew about the investment, or even was negligent in telling the trustee what they could or could not invest in. This was a fuck-up on the trustees part, not on the WT's part, in my educated guesstimation.

So is there a scandal? Yes. The scandal is that Jehovah "let" this happen. Why? The simplest answer is because God has nothing to do with, and never had anything to do with, the Jehovah's Witness religion.

• sxybrwneyes
    sxybrwneyes

I cant wait to see what the societys answer to this one will be.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Fear not, O Truth, the answer is easily located on the Internet. The mandate of Philip Morris is clearly stated on their website.

http://www.pmusa.com/home.asp

If you mistrust the Internet, you could write them for an authentication on their mandate.

Mail

If you would like more information about Philip Morris USA or this website, please write to us at:

Philip Morris USA
    Consumer Affairs
    120 Park Avenue
    New York, New York 10017

Cigarette Quality Issues can be directed to:

Philip Morris USA
    P.O. Box 26603
    Richmond, Virginia 23261

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

Emperor

Thanks for your view, however my post was directed to to person that posted the evidence suggesting that the WTS is investing in Tobbaco. You are free to believe in what you like and conclude what you like. You can even belive that I am wrong if that makes you happy But your reasonings do not prove the WTS invests in Tobacco. In my post to Expatbrit I humbly open mindedly and objectively said to correct me if I am wrong with respect to any additional EVIDENCE posted that I may have overlooked, not for your reasonings that prove nothing.

The information about Atria that Aztec posted clearly shows that PH Morris means more than tobbacoo as Expabrit failed to disclose with his post. According to the info PH posts in the Atria website link posted by aztec. PhM on or about 2003 changed their name to ATRIA to "clarify msiconceptions about PHM..." as stated in their website. They also state that PHM now ATRIA owns General Foods besides Kraft and other non tobacco industries. This informatiom is important. Expabrit also failed to disclose this on his initial post accusing the wts of investing in tobacco. That is deceptive. You may want to take the time and carefuly read some of the info in the Atria website posted on this board. What is relevant is any information showing WTS investing in tobacco. If you have any post it.

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

Jgnat.

The Atria Weblink posted on this board clarifies your misunderstanding. The Society invested in the Philip Morris Companies not in PHM USA. Don't jump to conclusions.

• jwsons
    jwsons

Imagine a local JW's congreagation bought a building from a Baptist Church with the Cross on top of the building and a big sign at front gate "....Baptist Church." Then they made it a local Kingdumb Hall for meetings. BUT didn't bother to chop down the sign and even the Cross. What does the Brooklyn think ? When Brooklyn assign the Trust to make money for "God's Organization," did they consider to make sure ("ensure" as Watchtower read) the investment not relate their WacoTower and Dark Society's name get along well with the name of Baptist Church, Philip Morris Tobacco or name of a brothel ? When all "False religions" have an international convention to praise for peace on earth and they also include the name Watchtower Bible and Tract Society on their "False Religions" banner. What do you think ?

When The name of "Watchtower Bible and Tract Society" appeard on a pyramid graveyard of Charles Taze Russell with a "Cross and Crown" on the top (where the eye of Masonic symbol is). Did you hear any reaction to refuse (or disclaimed) that Watchtower Bible and Tract Society not own that Russel's tomb ? So this time is not out of track. They did as they used to be. I'm not surprise.

jwsons

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Whatever you think there fearnotruth22.

BTW if you actually read the thread expat explained about PHM owning Kraft etc.

As far as I am concerned PHM is the largest producer of cigs. Only a complete idiot in the USA and Canada wouldn't know that. Sure it buys other companies and makes money off them. But when someone says PHM - we all think smokes including the "boys in the hood" along the river in Brooklyn.

Scully's posts on what the WTS magazines have stated is just as clear and something you convienently failed to mention like any good JW who practices Theocratic War Strategy. The onus is on a JW who buys the stock to check that stock out first. By not checking into the stock and allowing it to be bought by the JW or the JW's agent, or, by knowingly buying a wrongful stock are both violations of the doctrine of the JWs and would require a JC to be formed.

So the WTS is toast either way you look at it.

I still think this thread needs to be put on the top of the active page for at least another 5 weeks!

hawk

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Hello again Fearnotruth:

The evidence you have posted namely the WT benefiting from the PH Morris CompanieS does not prove conclusively that the Society derrives moneys from Tobbacco.

There are two aspects to that sentence, as I see it. First, that investing in a company does not necessarily mean deriving money from it, and secondly that investing in Philip Morris Companies does not necessarily mean deriving money from tobacco.

As regards the first aspect, sometimes investments lose value, that is a fact. However, when an investment is made, it is done with the intent of deriving a benefit, usually in the form of making a capital gain on the investment, and in receiving dividends from the company involved. That was obviously the intent with the Trust investing in Philip Morris Companies.

For the second aspect, it is true, and has been mentioned several times, that Philip Morris Companies (now Altria) owns non-tobacco companies, most notably Kraft. It is also true that Kraft is traded seperately. Why is this? Because the Philip Morris name is overwhelmingly associated with tobacco products. Any investment into the Philip Morris Companies is therefore inextricably connected with tobacco products. Even though the Group may make and sell other products, tobacco remains a fundamental part of Group activities. How can this square with the Watchtower principle of "keeping without spot from the world"? It's much like the library card excuse they gave for the UN. Even if that excuse had turned out to be the real reason, the fact remains that they had still associated themselves with "the wild beast", for whatever reason.

I am not eager to convict the WTS of propheting from Tobbaco when that has not been established as fact on this Board. It must be proven that the Society is making money from Tobacco. You have not done that. Hence, the accusations you make against the WT with regard to Tobacco are unfounded and unfair. A case first must be proven before judgement is passed

I was unaware that this board is a court of law. I posted information I had, and I gave my opinion on it. People can draw their own conclusions. Sixofnine has for instance, and I respect that. So have you, and I respect that. Many others, it would seem, can see the hypocrisy of the Watchtower's position on this.

You have not posted any more evidence, just made more statements. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

I posted the evidence I have. Why would I hold back evidence to post it later? Seems pointless. Assuming I get hold of the April 2003 return (hopefully in the Autumn), I'll post a follow up to show what happened with this stock, and any money made from it.

Finally, here's a quote from the University of California, at http://www.altriameanstobacco.com/

In January of 2003, Philip Morris Companies officially changed its name to the Altria Group, Inc., claiming that the change was to clarify the relationships between the parent corporation and the operating companies. This site is created to show the public the REAL reasons for this change: to hide the “taint” of tobacco and attempt to restore a corporate image brought low by decades of deception and death.

As researchers at the University of California, San Francisco, we studied Philip Morris's own internal company documents to learn more about why this change was planned and undertaken. Our findings were published in the American Journal of Public Health (April, 2003, Vol. 93, #4). Although Philip Morris had already purchased the rights to the URLs altriasucks.com and altriakills.com, altriameanstobacco.com is here to help other researchers, community activists, and the public develop counterstrategies in the face of this Philip Morris/Altria public relations ploy.

For more than a decade, Philip Morris planned this renaming and restructuring in order to distance itself from the ever-increasing liability of selling tobacco, a product that kills more than a third of its long-term users. As part of this strategy, Philip Morris hopes to be perceived as an outstanding corporate citizen by increasing its philanthropy under the name of Altria. But don't be deceived. Don't allow Philip Morris to win by corporate sleight of hand. Accepting gifts from Altria is the same thing as accepting gifts from Philip Morris: it allows the company to buy legitimacy and respectability while ignoring its starring role in the deaths of millions worldwide every year-over 400,000 in the United States alone.

Philip Morris/Altria also now claims it is trying to be “responsible” by acknowledging on its website that cigarettes are addictive and dangerous—ending decades of denial. A genuinely responsible company, faced with its role in the deaths of millions, would—at minimum—stop marketing this addictive product that would not be allowed on the market if introduced today.

This website also provides resources to help you do your own research on the tobacco industry and its activities, including links to online libraries where you can search the internal company documents of Philip Morris, R.J. Reynolds, Lorillard, Brown and Williamson, and American Tobacco Company, plus the Tobacco Institute and others. See tobacco documents research sites for more information and links.

I believe that this effectively disposes of the idea that just because Philip Morris now has a nice new name and sells some non-tobacco products, an investment into the Group is free from the taint of tobacco.

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit