The Watchtower & the cigarette company

by expatbrit 207 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

bttt for the JW lurkers and apologists - some 'meat' to chew over, while you ponder whether this arrangement will allow you to purchase cheap ciggies through your local congo.

cheeses - checking his share portfolio to make sure he hasn't got any shares from that evil WTS

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Time to dust off the excuses:

We had need to access the Philip Morris company library in order to conduct research into the adverse health effects of cigarettes. At the time we first obtained our library card there was no need to be a shareholder in Philip Morris...now this matter has been brought to our attention we have formally returned our library card and disposed of our shares.

Yours,

WTB&TS

• Aztec
    Aztec

Thirdson, cute!

~Aztec

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

From the "Reasoning Book "pages 109 to 111.

"Why do Jehovah's Witnesses view tobacco smoking as such a serious offense?

It shows disrespect for the gift of life

It is not consistent with what God requires Christians to render to him

Smoking is a violation of the divine requirement that we love our neighbor"

SMOKING IS A DISFELLOWSHIPPING OFFENSE.

Jesus said,"Out of your own mouth you condem yourself"

Blueblades

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

It could be that my understanding of the way a trust works is wrong but typically the recipient of the funds doesn't have anything to say about how the money is managed. In a way this is like have holdings in a large mutual fund, stocks are traded constantly, you have little idea what the holdings of the fund are on any given day. By the line of reasoning being employed here it would be inadvisable for a Witness to be involved with any mutual fund because of the possibility that at any time they might hold stock in some company that was in a line of business that they disagreed with. This is really hair splitting and frankly a lot of nonsense, gnat straining and camel gulping. If this is the best you can do you might as well throw yourself under a bus now.

Now, if the Christian Congregation buys 100,000 shares of Phillip Morris for their own account then you've got something but this is foolishness on the line of requiring Witnesses to centrifuge meat so there's no blood in it.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

OMG!!! I can't believe I missed this. THIS IS HUGE!!! Do you know how many jw's can be "stumbled" by this???

THANK YOU EXPAT!!!

• link
    link

If I understand you correctly Pork Chop, it would also be quite alright for the Society to obtain an income from the manufacture and sale of weapons as long as it was done through a Trust?

Please correct me if I am getting this wrong.

link

• avengers
    avengers
    Is it possible that they accepted the investment donation and didn't bother to look at how it was set up?

The WT Society is the only Organization that has the Truth! They are led by Jehovah's Spirit!
    Anyway that's what they claim. If that's the case, then shouldn't the Spirit have guided them?
    The Holy Spirit should have seen this and corrected their actions.

• Scully
    Scully

ROFLMAO @ avengers' gif!!

BTW, porkchop:

It could be that my understanding of the way a trust works is wrong but typically the recipient of the funds doesn't have anything to say about how the money is managed.

A lot of investment companies WILL respect the ethical and moral sensitivities of their investors. If the WTS made it clear that they do not support the use of tobacco, and did not want the trust to include any shares in companies in the tobacco industry, the company managing the trust would likely have to respect those wishes.

Having said that, if the shoe were on the other foot and it was your average JW holding that trust that included shares in a tobacco company, how long do you suppose it would take for a judicial committee to be convened to DF this person once the information became known? Do you think there wouldn't be any pressure at all for the average JW to get rid of those stocks so as not to become a "stumbling block" to other JWs or people who were studying??

It isn't hair-splitting, it's the application of Bible Principles™. Remember, "a little leaven ferments the whole lump."

Love, Scully

• waiting
    waiting
    It could be that my understanding of the way a trust works is wrong but typically the recipient of the funds doesn't have anything to say about how the money is managed. pork chop

Getting hard to defend the actions of the WTBTS, isn't it?

I'm quite sure I remember that the Catholic Church took hell in the public opinion poll - and from the WTBTS - for having stock in "war-making weapons" (I believe during the Viet Nam *Conflict* - napalm (sp?) bombs?).

If the Catholic Church denounced abortions (which they do) - and condemned to hell any woman having one (which I think they still do) - then it would be hypocritical as hell for them to have ANY stock in an Abortion Inducing Company - or a product which is used exclusively for aborting zygots, babies, etc. lol - or stock in a company which is primarily known for producing birth control pills - as they condemn that too.

And to make many thousands - for several years - off this same stock....while having accountants who are supposed to know where their company money is......is evil.

When jw's invested money - we were supposed to KNOW where we were investing money, because we knew we could be held accountantable if it were invested in a sinful enterprise. I know I was counciled to KNOW what stock was in what company before investing in any fund. I remember turning down one particular fund because they invested in Philip Morris. I followed my trained conscience....and the Biblical advice of the WTBTS and my local elders. In other words, I checked where money was coming from.

Smoking - according the the WTBTS & their biblical interpretation - is a Serious Sin Worthy of Enternal Death.

• The WTBTS is encouraging people to sin against Jehovah God.
    • The WTBTS is encouraging sin worthy of being killed by Jehovah God
    • The WTBTS is making thousands off of people sinning against Jehovah God.
    • The WTBTS is also promoting cancer, according to many knowledgeable medical persons.

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse." - USA Government & the WTBTS on the Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit