Legalized marijuana. It's coming to canada and I want to try it.

by hoser 88 Replies latest jw friends

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

When I was a young man (before becoming a JW obviously) I was what you would categorize as a heavy user. I carried around a cigar box with 20 or 30 pre-rolled and ready to go, along with the supplies for more. Be prepared, right? I would agree with what other posters have already said wrt going easy at first and being in a comfortable safe place with friends. Some people are extremely sensitive to THC. It might not be your cup of tea.

At the other extreme (my case) it is exactly your cup of tea. Everything is enhanced.

If I had a do over, I would avoid it though, at least until I was older. It just made it too easy to sit around thinking about all the stuff I could/would do, as opposed to doing anything.

In all things, balance is the key.

• done4good
    done4good

To be clear, people respond differently to different stimuli, and response to MJ is no different. MJ is certainly NOT for everyone, and can be abused. Addiction takes one of three different basic forms, (physical, physiological, and psychological), and marijuana can fall into the last group, (but so can watching too much TV, snowboarding, golf, whatever...). The point is anything someone likes too much has the propensity to become psychologically addictive. To say marijuana is addictive in the sense the drugs mentioned below are, is a myth.

Caffeine, nicotine, cocaine, and many other drugs are physiological in their addictive properties, and produce side effects of physical discomfort when someone is experiencing withdrawal from those drugs. Pot does not fall into this category. Nicotine is extremely addictive in this area, by contrast.

Alcohol, (yes, alcohol), heroin, and other opiates, are physically addictive. The human body actually builds a dependency upon these. Many older alcoholics actually die in hospitals, (for treatments non-related), because alcoholics are denied alcohol during their stay, and die of "complications", (actual alcohol withdrawal). Alcohol also contributes to sugar addiction which leads to type 2 diabetes, hypoglycemia, etc. Alcohol IS the ultimate gateway drug.

Marijuana abuse is over-hyped. Sure, there will always be people that cannot be balanced about using or doing anything they enjoy. This almost always points to something else wrong in their lives that they need to address, and as a result should avoid things they have the propensity to abuse. However, to put marijuana into the same category as physically or physiologically addictive substances is either ignorance on the part of those repeating this rhetoric, or outright misinformation campaigns from those with an agenda. It is what is known as "junk science".

d4g

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    I've known a few heavy pot smokers, I would say over time they get fat and unhealthy because all they do is sit down and eat, they don't exercise and this leads to other health problems.

I'm 62 years old, 5'7" tall and weigh 160 pounds get lots of exercise eat healthy and smoke about a pack of cigarettes about every 4 days. But everybody is different and some people have an unhealthy life style which is their choice regardless if they smoke Cannabis or not. Again high THC content with very little CBD can make one isolate themselves where CBD has the opposite effect.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Cannabis can be harmfull when used throughout adolescence, I have personally observed others who have done harm from it.

The same could be said of many drugs, but cannabis does have a tendency to get abused by teenagers. And it's often misused by those who already have the odds against them to succeed in life. Getting stoned day in and day out is normal for many youths and that is not a good way to see cannabis consumed

• done4good
    done4good

BTW, I'm 43, 167 pounds, I workout, and I in the best shape of my adult life. This nonsense about sitting around and eating everything in sight, is once again, just another myth. I am actually more balanced and healthy about what I choose to eat, drink, and spend my time doing than ever. I was over 200 pounds a couple of years ago.

d4g

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Great post done4good. You said it.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The statement I made is one of generalization, not individualism..

There are variables to be realized such as usage and age among others.

What my intent was to point out there are some health concerns for habitual users

and there appears to be a concerning problem with young adolescents who consume regularly.

As its known not all people have the same physiological make up.

• bradford
    bradford

I am 50/50 on it. I am mostly a very active and productive person when I get high, but sometimes if I have stress from work or life and I'm not eating right or hydrated I can get serious anxiety.

If you are prone to get anxiety I would stay away from caffeine if you plan on getting baked.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

A recent Dutch study showed that teenagers who indulge in cannabis as few as five times in their life significantly increase their risk of psychotic symptoms.

The increase in evidence during the past decade could be tied to the increased potency of marijuana. A review by the British Lung Association says that the cannabis available on the streets today is 15 times more powerful than the joints being smoked three decades ago.

Schizophrenia can sometimes be triggered by heavy use of hallucinogenic drugs, especially LSD; but it appears that one has to have a genetic predisposition towards developing schizophrenia for this to occur. There is also some evidence suggesting that people suffering from schizophrenia but responding to treatment can have an episode as a result of use of LSD. Methamphetamine and PCP also mimic the symptoms of schizophrenia, and can trigger ongoing symptoms of schizophrenia in those who are vulnerable.

Melbourne University's Professor David Castle stated in a February, 2005 interview that heavy drug use during formative times of life, such as the years at school, could affect the way a teenager or young adult thought, impairing cognitive ability and having a long-term impact on job prospects. Victorian studies had revealed that regular use of cannabis by adolescent girls could trigger long-term depression. And for those vulnerable to a psychotic disorder, even a small amount of cannabis could pose a threat.

Professor Castle, author of the book Marijuana and Madness, has said that those people with this "psychotic proneness" were those who had a family history of mental illness or who had had a bad response on their first use of cannabis or to a tiny amount. Others at risk included those who had experienced a psychotic episode where they had paranoid thinking or heard a voice calling their name. Professor Castle said experiencing such a one-off episode was far more common than people thought.

"People with such a vulnerability should avoid cannabis like the plague," he said.

Without the effects of the drug, such a person might live their whole life without ever experiencing mental health problems. It has been estimated, for example, that between 8% and 13% of people that have schizophrenia today would never have developed the illness without exposure to cannabis.

• talesin
    talesin

I would advise everyone to do their own research. Look at the history, and the studies done by the USA gov't since the 1940s. There is a lot of 'fuzzy science' with little proof being posted. Individual studies can be skewed, and like tobacco, results can be made to support anything the researchers choose to support.

Do you own research! : )

tal :sunglasses:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit