Legalized marijuana. It's coming to canada and I want to try it.

by hoser 88 Replies latest jw friends

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I personally don't smoke it anymore but support the Canadian government to finally legalize it and regulate it like alcohol. There has been too much harm created in the illegal black market in the sale and distribution of Pot, gangland murders, destruction of personal property and alike.

Risks of Marijuana Use

Though you may have heard otherwise, marijuana can be addictive: Nearly 10% of people who use it become dependent on it. It isn’t clear whether marijuana is a gateway drug that makes people more likely to try harder drugs like cocaine and heroin.

The amount of THC in marijuana has gone up in recent years. Most leaves used to contain between 1% and 4% THC. Now most have closer to 7%. Experts worry this might make it easier to become dependent on or addicted to marijuana -- and it also strengthens many of the drug’s mind-altering effects.

Even if you buy from a legal, state-regulated dispensary, it can be hard to know exactly how much THC or other compounds found in marijuana you’re ingesting, so the effects can be unpredictable.

Marijuana can also cause more health problems if you have a condition like liver disease, low blood pressure, or diabetes.

If you’re a man, heavy use could lower your testosterone levels, and your sperm count and quality. That, in turn, can zap your libido and fertility.

Research shows a link between marijuana use and mental health problems like depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, short-term psychosis, and schizophrenia. While it’s not clear if marijuana causes these conditions, it can make them worse.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

I know the temptation. I tried it too

but drugs are no good

just avoid them at all cost

some people are fine with the odd toke and some let drugs destroy their life

not worth the risk

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    Finkenstien, its one one the most misguided myths that mj is not addictive,I've seen it destroy families, I know quite a few heavy users that have quit using it in recent years, they cant emphasise enough how much better they feel in fact most of the people I know who are users want to quit but are struggling to.
  • Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

I am fascinated by marijuana. It is such an incredible plant. It's use is not for everyone, though.

As to uncomfortable psychological effects, yes, I have experienced this too. Certain strains can produce effects like paranoia and anxiety more so than other strains.

Bob Marley had a saying, "Pot reveals you to yourself. But don't believe everything it tells you, either!"

I have found that the inner journey that one can embark upon when using certain Sativa-dominant strains (more likely to cause psychological discomfort than Indica strains) can definitely be uncomfortable. Cannabis can reveal a person's insecurities and flaws and highlight them in vivid, painful light. It is not easy to face personal demons, but some of these insights were helpful toward beginning an acceptance and love for myself, and to heal wounds from the past, and to notice whether these impressions are true, false, or a bit of both. Cannabis can make one painfully self-aware or self-conscious.

It is much more enjoyable to have an outward-journey than an inward journey.

So while it is not for everyone, many people can find a strain which is useful for them and their needs. There are medical strains which have little to no THC (which gives most of the psycho-active effects) and these high-CBD strains are proving very helpful with pain, spasms, seizures, among other conditions.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Oh, and would also like to add that for anybody new to Cannabis, always start SMALL, only a puff or two (whether smoking or vaporizing) and then wait. Many first-time users feel nothing at all the first time or two and conclude that there is no effect, or that pot doesn't do anything for them. It is almost like the body has to "learn" or recognize what marijuana is.

So start small, wait, and see what happens. When you do notice an effect, you will probably feel a slight shift of perception, somewhat similar to the feeling of having a glass (or more!) of wine or alcohol, where suddenly the room feels louder, brighter, more vivid. And then you may feel a wonderful sensation of relaxation and well-being. You may also experience a drop in blood pressure, making you feel a bit dizzy or light headed. This passes quickly. Some people also notice an increase in heart rate, and this too passes quickly. If you have any heart irregularities or damage, using Cannabis may be contraindicated for you. Though not toxic, there are some effects not desirable for certain situations or compatible with other medications. It is not innocuous, despite its safety and non-toxicity.

It can also be a lot of fun, enabling great conversation, laughter, insight, compassion, clarity, energy, or peace, connection, stress relief, sensitivity, serenity, awareness, wonderment, appreciation, and creativity. It's like it relaxes the brain, too, and opens up new possibilities and ways of looking at things. I like to think of it as a "balancer" yet sometimes it can make you feel unbalanced. It is very mysterious, cool plant - it feels like a gift from the universe. It has the ability to be BOTH stimulating and sedative, one of the few or only plant/drug capable of doing this. So there is a "shaman-like" quality about marijuana. Very cool. And when energized and yet feeling so at peace and connected to everything, there is (for me, anyway) a side effect of wanting to put flowers in my hair.... and start painting, singing, writing novels, composing poetry and songs.... Dancing, exercising, riding bike, walking dog... Cleaning house... All at the same time.....

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

A powerful sativa strain with a very high THC content can make you feel unsettled and start bringing up paranoid thoughts that make one feel frightened. Being a long time user you know how to kind of not let it get to you because you know this will pass in an hour or maybe two. That's why I recommend a strain that doesn't have all the CBD breed out of it especially for new users.

I started smoking cannabis when I was 14 for 5 years then left it for 29 years while being a JW and started up again in 2000 which led me to leave the JWs as it opened up my mind and helped me to see I was in a mind control cult by Febuary 2001 I left the JWs.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Yes a Sativa strain is probably more likely to induce those feelings of paranoia or anxiety, as compared to pure or more dominant indica strain. Indica strains will have a more sedative narcotic feel.

For example a strong Sativa might have a ratio like 16-18% THC and only 0.5-1%CBD. That is blast for those who like THC, otherwise maybe not that enjoyable. A more balanced Sativa/Indica would have 2-3%CBD maybe.

I have CBD strains which are suppose to be around 6% THC and 6-8% CBD, that is a very high CBD ratio. These kind of high CBD strains are proving popular among medical users. CBD has a powerful medicinal effect but doesn't get you "high" as such, being a non physcoactive cannabinoid.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Just saw your second post Muddy Waters. I liked your description of feeling the buzz from good cannabis. The way Cannabis both soothes and stimulates is it's beauty for me.

And music... holy shit the music.....

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I've known a few heavy pot smokers, I would say over time they get fat and unhealthy because all they do is sit down and eat, they don't exercise and this leads to other health problems.

I get high now by exercising and going for a swim/sauna, I feel healthy alert and I didn't shove a bunch of food in my face in the process. a better way to live in my opinion.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    I eat healthy, exercise regulary . I feel healthy and alert. I also smoke weed, and that feels great!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit