I find it interesting that after the cult people still hold on to religion....

by BeaverEater 137 Replies latest jw friends

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

The funny thing is, your ‘solution’ is that the universe appeared out of nothing, and an infinitely complex being just always existed.

Not funny at all. The premise is that something always existed, God and the universe came from something.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

🤦‍♂️ The unskilled apologist proposes that in his view, something always existed, apparently not realising that the proposed non-physical entity would necessarily violate the laws of thermodynamics (and basic reason). He also ignores the fact that despite Sea Breeze’s straw man, neither atheists nor cosmologists assert that the universe just ‘appeared from nothing’, which is actually the creationist position.

Cosmologists offer various hypotheses about the earliest moments of the known universe, none of which are asserted as fact. Because of the relationship between matter and time, it may not even make sense to suggest there could be anything ‘before’ the universe, though it is also possible that the current universe was preceded by one or more prior universes.

Some atheists are aware of hypotheses proposed by cosmologists, and others are not. There is no ‘atheist worldview’ about how the universe began.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The o/p asked why people may retain Christianity after seeing through the falsehood ofthe WT.?

I have done that, simply because what I can see wrong about the WT does nothing th shake my basic belief in Christianity. I took exception to the doctrine that only JWs were acceptable and the time scale shows the 1914 to be unbelievable now... later on other man made teachings of theirs became obviously wrong.

Why should that shatter my belief in God? No reason to. I have no wish to debate with the diehard atheists on here , each one is entitled to their views and there is no reason to fall out over it.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The premise is that something always existed, God and the universe came from something.

I just can`t get my head about that statement,?

What came first ? GOD or the universe ?

Or was it the universe and then GOD ?

How could either one be something that always existed ?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Some still believe and some don't. There is no real rule of thumb as far as I've ever seen.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

What I find sad is those who see through a particular religion, but still retain some of the plainly stupid ideas that promote fear, and therefore work against such a partially free person actually being happy.

This is not only seen in an XJW who retains a fear of Armageddon say, but can be seen in those who have left other areas of "Christian" faith and still retain a fear of Hell or god's adverse judgement in some way.

Such people need to do proper research, free their minds and hearts , and then be truly happy.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

I am a believer. I have always believed in God. It took me 10 years going to a Christian church and reading the Bible to finally admit that it reveals that Jesus is God (along with the Father and Holy Spirit). I would read a scripture clearly saying it and say Interesting! And one day, I just could not deny it anymore and I bowed my knee and then declared it! Shortly after that, a door opened to tell my mom about the Trinity concept whereas I would have been terrified before! It transformed me. You can believe or not believe, but I can't deny the supernatural "coincidences" that follow the things I pray about. The part I love most is the comfort I get when I am upset. It can come from anywhere. People will step up to defend me, it's amazing! I feel seen, loved and I have a hope and peace that transcends circumstances. There's also great purpose and adventure in my life as I pray and see how it all gets worked out!!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i wish i could believe in god,...sometimes. After all--i believe in the Loch Ness Monster -and the fairies at the bottom of my garden.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    laws of thermodynamics

The descriptive universe did not exist before the big bang. Or did it? What laws applied if it did or didn’t? Fill me in on what existed or didn’t exist before the universe existed and what laws applied or didn’t apply, Einstein.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    I just don't understand why some leave and embrace other wacky shit, or remain in the umbrella belief system of Christianity etc.

It's like asking why a person still marries after going through a bad divorce. People leave a cult but don't necessary abandon the belief system. And nowadays everything is labeled as a "çult".

Religions work differently for different people. Some people find solace in it and are not concerned about the science behind it. In the end, you do what makes you happy and you are not obliged to explain or defend your religious stand to anyone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit