Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

•  The Bethelite
    The Bethelite

Maybe we could sponsor large groups of Chinese tourist to visit the world headquarters in upstate New York.....

Just kidding....of course

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Down here in South Florida, there does not seem to be any panic yet.

I bought a couple boxes of the wipes yesterday and an extra bottle of Clorox at Walmart.

I also have 2 cases of Corona, a dozen limes, 2 cases of Leffe Blond and 2 1.75 litre bottles of Johnny Walker Black and a full wine rack.

I already have enough rice and beans for several months, a full freezer and about 30 rolls of toilet paper.

In an emergency, I have a huge 5 litre bottle of Tequila we bought at a duty-free store at the airport in Mexico City last year. We also have a small lime tree in our back yard.

We're good to go.

Rub a Dub

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

My point of concern is that this possibility has been on the radar for a long time, if you follow this kind of stuff you would know that it is overdue. Have you noticed how most health authorities have been reactionary - shutting the borders after the contagion has entered and not pro actively shutting the borders in early.

Anybody health official who was watching closely should have got the message in December that this could be the big one and we had better get serious right now.

Many people are saying that it is just another flu, wrong flu typically hospitalizes 0.2 percent of it's patients, the hospitalisation rate for this one appears to be around 12% with half of those requiring an intensive care bed.

How many intensive care beds are there in your city? - Not many and most of them are already full most of the time. Take it seriously friends, I think that this will be the main punctuating event of our lives.

RB

• newsheep
    newsheep

Just placed our orders for our processing plant and every single item is up ten dollars including a box of plastic bags. I see people cashing in on this which is really sad in times like these. Things are already expensive. Today I went to buy two prescriptions and they were back ordered and not knowing when they can be filled. This scared me so that I got my doctor to write up the two prescriptions for my stash which I will pay out of pocket but then return next month for my regular scripts if there are any and have my medical plan cover those monthly. I will die if I don't have these two drugs on hand which I take everyday for the rest of my life. Already have a backup plan if all fails. The shelves of antacids, gravol, hand sanitizers are all cleaned out. No one was in the doctors office yet both doctors had their masks on walking around. I have never seen that ever. In the hospital my internal medicine doctor had her mask on. Even the hospital was dead come to think of it. Don't know how anyone can say we live in exciting times. Our investments are doing well so far and have nothing to do with the stock markets. They have really taken a dive. I wish all of you the best through these trying times and hope none of you get it. Best of luck!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I have a doctor/ hospital visit this week. Interested to see if they ask different questions, ( usual is been out of country, will they add state) wear masks, ask me to wear one.

Seems panic is showing a bit.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

As has been mentioned on other threads, it's not the severity of the virus, but the method(s) of transmission. This is the biggest question out there: if you touch someone, breath their air, sit on their toilet, get in a bus with them, get in an airplane with them ???

With the flu, at least you have a reasonable chance of avoiding it with a flu shot.

With this shit, what do you even do? Hide in your house? Shut the windows? Take a Clorox shower?

At this point, who knows.

Rub a Dub

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I live in the area where 6 have died

A school 3 miles from here has been closed down for sterilization.

So far our local stores have plenty of the sanitation items others have claimed are in short supply in their area.

Per the News

Spread of the virus is from close personal contact with someone infected (6 feet or less) via droplets from coughs or sneezes.

It is also spread by contact with these droplets on surfaces and then touching the eyes nose mouth.

The virus lasts up to 9 days on surfaces (less on copper and steel) at room temp but are easily destroyed by common disinfectants. The virus appears to be affected by heat.

Not likely to live on packages or products coming from oversees due to shipping time.

The general uninfected public shouldn't wear masks because fiddling with masks with hands can contaminate the mask and concentrate the virus in the area of the nose and mouth or be spread from a mask onto hands while handling the mask.

80% of those who are exposed to the virus will have little to moderate illness sometimes no symptoms at all. Those who have died so far already have underlying health conditions.

• Simon
    Simon
    Not likely to live on packages or products coming from oversees due to shipping time.

That assumes the only person who touches it is the original sender, what if someone is infected in the mail depot and handles it?

Treat ANY surface that others can touch as a potential source of infection. Clean when touching those, have the boundary going to your own space (car + home)

The general uninfected public shouldn't wear masks because fiddling with masks with hands can contaminate the mask and concentrate the virus in the area of the nose and mouth or be spread from a mask onto hands while handling the mask.

I personally don't buy this - I think it is to stop people buying masks which they would rather prioritize for medical staff. If they protect them, they protect us.

Those who have died so far already have underlying health conditions

I think this could be unintended misinformation. You are are greater risk if you have underlying health conditions but it's not so selective that no one else could die, it's just that you odds may be better the younger and healthier you are.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    You are are greater risk if you have underlying health conditions but it's not so selective that no one else could die, it's just that you odds may be better the younger and healthier you are.

This is generally true. We had a young boy in our area die from the flu just a couple months ago. He was 12, healthy, had the flu shot, and didn’t seem to get that sick. I interpret that as he didn’t exhibit many of the common flu-like symptoms. The best we can say is that the situation escalated quickly for some reason, and he died. Nobody is sure why it turned out that way... but there you go.

I think it’s likely to be the same with this virus. If you are young and healthy, you’ve got good chances. Maybe even great chances. But every now and again, there will be an improbable death.

• caves
    caves

I too live near the area where 6 have died. My doctor called to check on me tonight. That's never happened before.

From what I understand she was calling all her patients.

I'm trying not to panic but this seems real odd. I do have the mountains to (escape to) if it gets out of control. So there's that.

ALL of my work gigs for the week cancelled today. Its going to get rougher I'm afraid. Life sure does't seem worth all the hassle at the moment. That was cryptic , sorry . It has just caught me off guard today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit