Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

• Sea Breeze
  • Simon
    Simon

Good news for that 82%

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: for everyone who thinks that it's OK because "only" 2% die and 15% end up in serious condition, we don't know yet if you can catch it again or what those outcomes may be. China is stopping visitors coming in because they want to prevent re-infection.

Put it this way, if you have a gun with 50 chambers and you play Russian Roulette. That's the 2% odds. You might fancy your chances. But will you be as confident if you have to play it 10 times?

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I reckon getting it and living will innoculate you.

The hospital is having to hide the masks because people were taking handfuls. Same questions otherwise. Several flu cases admitted each day. Ni coivid19 yet

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    Put it this way, if you have a gun with 50 chambers and you play Russian Roulette. That's the 2% odds. You might fancy your chances. But will you be as confident if you have to play it 10 times?

No I wouldn't ever intentionally point a gun at my head empty or full. I also wouldn't worry about the likelihood of encountering someone with a gun that only had one bullet in it, especially if that one bullet only had an 85% chance of doing me harm. I'd worry even less if that person and I were taking precautions to make sure the bullet stayed in the gun and/or missed other people if it did happen to fire.There are more risky things out there to focus on.

• Simon
    Simon
    No I wouldn't ever intentionally point a gun at my head empty or full

The point was about the potential cumulative risk of the virus. Even if we take 2% to be low and acceptable, it changes if it's possible to be re-infected by it. If that's possible (and it appears to be a concern) then it may not be a virus at all.

I just read that the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Washington state rose to 27, including 9 deaths.

If that's true then there is a serious level of under-diagnosing going on, or else Americans are especially weak and have a much higher mortality rate than other places. For 9 deaths you'd expect many more confirmed cases, wouldn't you?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

https://www.king5.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/washington-cases-of-coronavirus/281-67146033-877c-44d1-9bc0-ada91226156b

Those who died in Washington had underlying health issues and most were living in the same nursing home hence the high mortality rate.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Slightly off topic, but I see that the WTS has made a statement on the website ....

NEWS ALERT | Coronavirus Update and Response

As reported on by international organizations and the media, there has been an outbreak of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19). The world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses is closely monitoring the situation and providing practical steps that we can take to protect ourselves and others. These proactive measures are based on Bible principles and the recommendations from medical professionals.—Proverbs 22:3.

Some may wonder how our brothers and sisters are doing in the affected areas. The outbreak of COVID-19 has significantly impacted the branch offices and congregations in Italy, Japan, South Korea, and other countries. In some cases, the branch office has had to cancel tours and visits from outside guests. In other cases, the government has restricted large public gatherings, which has required the branch to cancel circuit assemblies. Additionally, congregations have had to adjust arrangements for the ministry and congregation meetings in some areas. Despite these challenges, our brothers continue to build themselves up spiritually and encourage one another.—

..............We should also keep frequently touched surfaces clean in our home and at our Kingdom Hall. Additionally, medical experts discourage shaking hands in such situations,””

("....................end quote)

The article promotes the advice given by the authorities and says that meetings and ministry may be cancelled if necessary

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

why should the watchtower cult be concerned?

we are living sooo close to the end and a few dubs that could catch it--and die--will get resurrected anyway.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

A letter was read from the US branch to congregations Sunday saying something very similar. I know it was read Sunday as I was in attendance. Which is shocking in one sense because they often want publishers to risk their lives to make meetings but I applaud their using common sense in this isolated case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit