New light on shunning?

by Mikejw 86 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jehovaxx
    jehovaxx

Wasn’t there a change in the past about 50 years ago or something like that where they relaxed the rules on shunning?

then they went back to hard shunning rules again

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    NotFormer - “…shunning may be part of its appeal to certain types…” (paraphrased)

What types?

Fucking sociopaths?

😵‍💫

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    jehovaxx - “…Wasn’t there a change in the past about 50 years ago or something like that where they relaxed the rules on shunning? then they went back to hard shunning rules again”

That’s called “a tug on the leash”.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

jehovaxx: Wasn’t there a change in the past about 50 years ago or something like that where they relaxed the rules on shunning?

In Crisis of Conscience, Ray Franz described how the rules regarding shunning were changed to deal with him. The changes were towards people who had voluntarily disassociated themselves, which included Franz's employer (after he had left the GB and moved to Georgia). Franz was seen having lunch with the brother in question, and this formed the basis of the JCs that eventually DFed him.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Notty What are the odds they coincidentally get new light from Jehovah and lighten up their shunning policy ?

I agree they're going to have to get around it when it comes to minors, because that's the issue that caught the Norwegian govts attention.

With adults it may have been harder to argue around the whole freedom of belief thing in court.

However they are in a tight spot, because on the one hand the easy, most straightforward solution is to stop minors being baptised in the first place. That way there's no disfellowshipping/shunning of minors without the need to make major doctrinal changes.

But getting kids baptised and locked in through fear of loosing everybody, and everything, they've ever known is just about the only way they get new members. The risk in waiting until the kids of JWs are 18 to get baptised is that it leaves them enough time & maturity to start researching and/or thinking for themselves. The risk they become independent enough - emotionally & financially - to say 'no' to parental demands to join the religion.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Nice analysis, D.

It’s not unlike the quandary faced between needing to appear more “mainstream” in order to stave off insolvency…

…yet doing so can’t help but water down everything about them that they held up as “proof” they alone had The Truth.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    Wasn’t there a change in the past about 50 years ago or something like that where they relaxed the rules on shunning? ~ Tonus

In addition to what Tonus stated, back in the 1970's there was a period of time when the shunning was relaxed towards DF who were not continuing to practice sin and not opposers to the WT, such as someone attending with the intent to be reinstated.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I don't recall any relaxing of the DFing position in the 70's, tho perhaps some read into something to that effect on a local level. In fact something I've brought up before was the NewLight of treating unbaptized published "As Disfellowshipped" if they were judged in a committee to have been guilty of something that would have resulted in disfellowshipping had they been baptized. I lost a good friend who at about 12 years old was a victim of this policy. Not long after lawsuits followed, and new light reversed that specially abusive policy.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA
    In addition to what Tonus stated, back in the 1970's there was a period of time when the shunning was relaxed towards DF who were not continuing to practice sin and not opposers to the WT, such as someone attending with the intent to be reinstated.

I have heard older ones talk about this change. It would not be surprising if they flip flopped back again into a modern equivalent of the old light.

yes I can easily see an updated understanding of only having to shun those who are really bad and no need to shun those who are good people who just don’t believe anymore?

but who gets to decide which category each individual fits in? If they leave it upto JWs then some loved ones will have exceptions

😞

• Biahi
    Biahi

Dio has it right. If they stop baptizing those under 18, they won’t be able to trap the kids while they are young. Which presents a quandary to the leadership. 😁 One thing I know, if that were the case, I NEVER would have gotten baptized.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit