New light on shunning?

by Mikejw 86 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

After just reading the post on the decision in Norway, it appears to me that it is the shunning of minors that violates the new law.

IF WT does choose to make some kind of adjustment to get the decision reversed, I think it will only involve a change respecting anyone under the age of 18.

Perhaps they will reinstitute some kind of "Probation" that will "mark" the minor (vs DF) that will be reviewed when they are 18 years old. The "probation" will not require shunning by R&F, but will only require limiting association as they do if someone is "marked" as bad association. Upon review at 18, if the person is judged as repentant then probation will be lifted and they will be announced as being in "good standing", or if they have not been a good little boy or girl, they will then be DF.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I have only read a few posts on this issue. But my take is that if Watchtower relaxed it's shunning policy, the organization will lose one quarter of it's membership...namely all PIMOs with family members still in.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW
    They are slowly deleting all of Tony’s videos

I have kept a record of videos and have seen no change in the count. Last count was 39 this morning.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    I have only read a few posts on this issue. But my take is that if Watchtower relaxed it's shunning policy, the organization will lose one quarter of it's membership...namely all PIMOs with family members still in. ~ Vanderhoven

I guess that's as good of a speculative number as any for the number of PIMOs that there are today. I'm not sure it would affect everyone who is PIMO. If they wanted to be out of the social club, they could just fade or walk away and not suffer any judicial consequences that would result in being shunned. They're hanging in for the BBQs and going on cruises with other (not to zealous) JDubs.

But, regardless of the number that might bail on WT if they changed the policy, would WT really care? At this point, what are the PIMOs contributing? Aren't they just using up oxygen in the room? I think it very doubtful they are contributing much financially. And isn't that what matters to WT? So who cares where they go?

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    So who cares where they (PIMOs) go?

WT should care where PIMOs go! After all...a very significant percentage of JWs are actually either PIMOs or PIMOs in the making. It's anyone's guess but likely the amount of JWs who are irritated and annoyed with WT's GB Leadership may be quite high.

• AlwaysBusy
    AlwaysBusy

I was df'd 26 years ago, and during that time, I have had only one of my former 'friends' talk to me. I've been, shoved, scowled at, run away from, pushed into a wall, sneered at and scoffed at, while attending the meetings, after my df'ing. I only heard from one of my "friends" 5 years ago, when she called to ask for $5,000.00 to send to a man she had met online so that he could come to the USA. She asked me to take out a loan or borrow from my kids to get the money. I didn't give it to her and after a few weeks of her begging, and her realizing that she was getting nowhere, she disappeared. After living df'd for 26 years, I have come to the conclusion that shunning will never be done away with by the org. The people are basically mean, and love to act superior, and shunning is a great tool to accomplish that. The organization may appear to lighten up on shunning but it will be a facade, and won't translate to the r & f. I have had dozens of meetings, with dozens of elders, and nothing has changed or gotten any better in that regard. I'm 72 and have a good and meaningful life with a great husband who has gone through all of this with me. Poor guy, we met after I was df'd and he's been witness to the abuse all these years. This is my experience and my opinion. Don't hold your breath, shunning is here to stay. I love the Bible, Jehovah and Jesus, but people broke me.

• Mikejw
    Mikejw
    .a very significant percentage of JWs are actually either PIMOs or PIMOs in the making.

This is so true. There is a scale of 1-100.

100 is total belief in everything the GB says is from Jehovah and is true. These would shun everyone the GB tells them to.

Hardly anyone is up near 100 these days, even the staunch PIMIs are less than 90 and these are few and far between. These would shun most most people they were told to unless it was a loved one then if it was a very close loved one they would certainly think twice about obeying the GBs direction to shun.

The majority of most congregations are at about 50. They think the GB are doing their best but they may be wrong about lots of things like 1914. They would not shun loved ones close to them if the GB directed them to and they probably won’t shun others either if they are good people.

The rest are well below 50 on the scale and they know in their heart that the GB are almost certainly wrong about almost everything. They will not obey the GB directions to shun anyone they will think for themselves

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

AlwaysBusy, that's a depressing story. 😿 You make an interesting point, that shunning is actually part of the WT's DNA, and may be part of its appeal to certain types. I've never quite thought of it that way before. 🤔

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    If my family hadnt spoken to me for years and then suddenly contacted me because they were told it was ok, I would tell them to go f%^K themselves.

This has already happened to me. My dad called 5 years after hiding the fact that my mom was sick and allowed her to die a horrible death from starvation. He said he was afraid she might die without blood, so in his mind it was better to let her starve in hospice instead of allowing a fairly routine surgery. She was 82 with a weak heart… but still…. Really?

After he called, I looked on this board and found out there was a recent WT directive to reach out to shunned family members to see if they wanted to return.

Like I would want to return to that death camp.

• LV101
    LV101

I'm so sorry, Always Busy, and agree with you re/the shunning. There's some evil, envious, miserable, people, and the shunning gives them an excuse to act like social misfits. Many have no social skills to begin with and once they're part of the Watchtower it's sealed. Watchtower has done a good job of showing the world what a loser religion it is -- many know about this cult-shunning factor and would never set foot in a bunker/hall.

So sorry Sea B -- JWs (WT) are ruthless and beyond hope. The religion would never be one of respect - I had many elderly women yrs. ago asking me about the ole fraud, charlatan, Russell, and it's horrible reputation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit