New light on shunning?

by Mikejw 86 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ElderBerry
    ElderBerry

It seems hardly any kids are even getting baptised these days. It seems they have to get them pre teen to be unbaptised publishers and then get them baptised before they have the mental capacity to think for themselves

If kids get old enough past a certain point then they won’t want to get baptised

this is happening and it’s great to see

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

It's a particularly cruel approach to manipulate children in this way. But the organisation seems to have always disliked children. Too much drain on vital "Kingdom" resources, I guess. 🙄

Unfortunately for them, their century old disdain for children is finally attracting attention. Not allowing minors to be baptised, and therefore removing their eligibility for disfellowshipment and shunning, would be a great start. Would they extend the kinder gentler approach to adults? Not likely. The leadership has always enjoyed its power to grind its loyal subjects down.

The non reporting of hours and loosening up on beards looked for a moment like a step towards being a more compassionate organisation. But the real truth is probably that the changes are to muddy the waters on how much control the GB has over individuals.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5143429722406912/reason-behind-recent-watchtower-changes

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    ElderBerry - “…It seems hardly any kids are even getting baptised these days…”

Wanna bet PIMO parents are ever-so-subtly discouraging it?

Like I keep saying, never underestimate the power of passive resistance…

or just how versatile it can be.

😏

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Vidiot, do you think that even PIMI parents might also discourage it, if they're forward thinking enough and have crunched the numbers on what might happen?

I imagine even PIMIs have grey areas and limits on their loyalty to the organisation.

• bbqbob
  • NotFormer
    NotFormer

We're talking about minor children, for the most part. As some have pointed out, Jesus was baptised when he was 30, yet minor children are pressured into entering a contract with the WBTS, CCJWs, whatever, which if they are arbitrarily determined to have breached in any way, they are shunned. Until recently, even by immediate family. That's child abuse.

• bbqbob
    bbqbob

Talk about relevant, see the new #2 GB update!

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

Personally I welcome the new update news.. Timely inview of the memorial too.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

It does appear GB 3.0 is trying to head off trouble at the pass.

Today's "confidential" (lol :) ) letter to all Elders (Thank you Atlantis) is to be read after the GB online announcements. Regarding disfellowshipping for adults...and children. #1. "..6. When meeting with a Christian who has become involved in serious wrongdoing, the goal of the committee is to ‘lead the sinner to repentance.’ (Rom. 2:4) The committee may decide that it would be appropriate to meet more than once with the wrongdoer in order to reach his heart. Meeting with him more than once will allow time for the individual to grasp the gravity of his wrongdoing and its effect on his relationship with Jehovah, and most important, to repent and ask Jehovah for his forgiveness. (Ps. 51:1-4; Prov. 28:13) Meeting with him more than once will also allow the committee to try to reach the individual’s heart by means of the Scriptures. 7. By skillful use of the Scriptures, the committee should try to reach the wrongdoer’s heart and lead him to repentance. If through your efforts Jehovah gives the individual repentance, this is a cause for rejoicing. (Luke 15:7; 2 Tim. 2:25; 2 Pet. 3:9) In such cases, appropriate restrictions will be temporarily imposed. If the wrongdoing is widely known or likely to become known, a brief announcement of the reproof can be made to the congregation. Restrictions should be viewed as temporary and should be removed without delay as the individual makes a spiritual recovery. Of course, with certain kinds of wrongdoing—such as child abuse, apostasy, and scheming to end a marriage—restrictions will need to be in place much longer. (sfl chap. 12 pars. 10-12; chap. 14 pars. 22-24) Whatever the case, the elders will also provide shepherding so that the individual can keep making straight paths for his feet."

Boom...it appears the old: "tell us".. "How many times you did the nasty?"..."for how long?"..."did you enjoy it?...etc. etc.." So this was repeated unrepentant sin over a period over time?.... is.... over.

#2. Now PARENTS are to be included during a minor's judicial investigation..with only 2 elders...attempting to CHANGE the minor's attitude and behavior...rather than trying to gain sufficient evidence to boot them. Multiple meetings can be held this way.

With 2/3 of self-described "JWS" "inactive or former" per the PEW studies, no doubt GB 3.0 thinks more ex-dubs will return...and donate again. $$$$$$$$$ ??

interesting

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Hi LongHairGal,

When I saw the change at the recent annual meeting where they took away the century old requirement to report hours, I took notice! I was judged over this!

Yep, when I saw the change I immediately thought of a friend of mine who refused to submit F/S Reports even though he was regular in service. On principle, he refused all the ‘encouragement’ from the elders ro report. I thought at the time that he was more genuine and sincere in his field service because he was doing it because he wanted to, and not just to fill in a report.

For his ‘crime’ he was labelled “weak” and relegated to car-park duty at the meetings; he wasn’t even allowed to have the “privilege” of cleaning the Kingdom Hall windows.

Cheers, Ozzie 🍷

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit