Overlapping Generation

by pandorasbox1914 103 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The G.B. might as well be saying "Badges? We don't need no badges. We don't have to show you any stinking badges."

Now substitute "proof with scriptures" instead of "badges."

It was one of the easiest ways to not abandon any previous teachings yet, buying time for them to come up with som other whacky doctrine involving the flood or seven times or whatever.

• James Jack
    James Jack

Jesus did not say “these overlapping generations “.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It should logically and honestly realized by now the WTS has created and propagated false doctrines to enhance the proliferation of the literature the WTS publishes, against scriptural support.

Jesus own condemnation toward his faithful followers of not setting a time upon god's own sacred time, nullifies the date setting of 1874, 1914, 1925, 1975 made by the WTS/JWS these were acts of apostasy against Jehovah and his son.

• waton
    waton

jws are still going from door to door selling the "you will never die doctrine"

That of course is not the generation that "jesus" was talking about, because he said that they would die after all these things occur.

It could not be the wicked, because they die, not later than Armageddon

It could not be the anointed generation, because they have to die before Armageddon, to be warriors with "jesus" in it. so:

the whole generation is generated, artificially plus the overlap, that the jws lapped up,

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Picked this up somewhere:

PROGRESSIVE WATCHTOWER LIGHT ON “THIS GENERATION”

In 1968 the youngest of the 1914 generation were 15 years old.

"Jesus was obviously speaking about those who were old enough to witness with understanding what took place when the 'last days' began. ... Even if we presume that youngsters 15 years of age would be perceptive enough to realize the import of what happened in 1914, it would still make the youngest of 'this generation' nearly 70 years old today." (Awake! Oct 8, 1968 p13)

In 1978 the youngest of the 1914 generation were clearly not babies

"Thus, when it comes to the application in our time, the "generation" logically would not apply to babies born during World War I. It applies to Christ's followers and others who were able to observe that war and the other things that have occurred in fulfillment of Jesus' composite "sign."" (Watchtower Oct 1, 1978 p31)

In 1980 the youngest of the 1914 generation were revised to 10 years olds.

"As indicated by an article on page 56 of U.S. News & World Report of January 14, 1980, "If you assume that 10 is the age at which an event creates a lasting impression on a person's memory," then there are today more than 13 million Americans who have a "recollection of World War I."" (Watchtower Oct 15, 1980 p31)

In 1984 the youngest of the 1914 generation were reduced to babies.

"If Jesus used "generation" in that sense and we apply it to 1914, then the babies of that generation are now 70 years old or older. And others alive in 1914 are in their 80's or 90's, a few even having reached a hundred. There are still many millions of that generation alive." (Watchtower May 15, 1984 p5)

In 1988 the youngest were babies that were born in 1914

"Likewise today, most of the generation of 1914 has passed away. However, there are still millions on earth who were born in that year or prior to it." (Watchtower April 8, 1988 p14)

In 1995 age no longer was a factor in determining the 1914 generation

“Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term “generation” as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historical period, with their identifying characteristics.” – Watchtower Nov 1, 1995, p.20.

Finally in 2010 the 1914 generation overlaps.

How, then, are we to understand Jesus’ words about “this generation”? He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great
    tribulation. That generation had a beginning, and it surely will have an end. The fulfillment of the various features of the sign clearly indicate that the tribulation must be near. By maintaining your sense of urgency and keeping on the watch, you show that you are keeping up with advancing light and following the leadings of holy spirit.—Mark 13:37. Watchtower 04/15, 2010 Article: Holy Spirit’s Role in the Outworking of Jehovah’s Purpose

https://youtu.be/ejO0Z8m2n-k

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Awake 1995

Which generation was Christ referring to in Matthew 24:34?

The Greek word “genea” (pronounced ghen-eh-ah') appears thirteen times in Matthew's gospel. Four times it is used to delineate “one set of parents to the next”. Ignoring Matthew 24:34 for the moment, in every other appearance, including 6 of the instances Matthew places the definite article “this” (houtos) before “generation”, “this generation” (houtos genea), in context, clearly cover the same group of people -i.e. “Christ's contemporaries”

Mt 11:16 But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places, who call out to the other children, (the persons then living contemporary with Christ)
    Mt 12:41 The men of Nineveh will stand up with this generation at the judgment, and will condemn it because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, something greater than Jonah is here.
    (the persons then living contemporary with Christ)

Mt 12:42 "The Queen of the South will rise up with this generation at the judgment and will condemn it, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and behold, something greater than Solomon is here. (the persons then living contemporary with Christ).

Mt 12:45 "Then it goes and takes along with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself.... That is the way it will also be with this evil generation ." (the persons then living contemporary with Christ)

Mt 17:17 And Jesus answered and said, "You unbelieving and perverted generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? ..." (the persons then living contemporary with Christ)

Mt 23:36 "Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.

Reading Mt.23:36 in context again shows " the persons then living contemporary with Christ are being referred to:

29. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye build the sepulchres of the prophets, and garnish the tombs of the righteous, 30 and say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we should not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets. 31 Wherefore ye witness to yourselves, that ye are sons of them that slew the prophets. 32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers. :33 Ye serpents, ye offspring of vipers, how shall ye escape the judgment of Gehenna? 34 Therefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: some of them shall ye kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city: 35 that upon you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of Abel the righteous unto the blood of Zachariah son of Barachiah, whom ye slew between the sanctuary and the altar. 36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation. (the persons then living contemporary with Christ)

Mt 24:34
    "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.
    What generation was Jesus referring to Matthew 24:34? (Obviously his own generation)
  • lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

"Jesus was obviously speaking about...”

-So obvious in 1968. What rubbish.

“How, then, are we to understand Jesus’ words about “this generation”? He evidently meant ...”

-evidently means from evidence. What evidence does the gibbering buffoons offer?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Thanks, Vanderhoven!

Good summaries!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This "overlapping generation" is the biggest load of b### s### ever laid on the sheeplike congregation. I wonder they can't see that! Actually I think they do. They are so indoctrinated that they think, " if it's wrong, the "slave" will fix it. I will wait patiently"

I have searched in dictionaries and I found not one giving a definition of generation that allowed that teaching.

The fact is... the time has run out . IF Christ began his presence in 1914 then the kingdom had to be in force long before now . Since the WW1 vets have died out, ( WW2 vets are knocking on too) Did Jesus' prophecy fail? No.

The only conclusion is that 1914 was not the right date. This whole doctrine of being in the time of Christ's prescence just cannot be true..... and that knocks away the very bedrock of JW beliefs.........if you stop and think about it.

If I had not quit when I did 20 years ago, I am sure I would have by now.

• menrov
    menrov

Just been thinking. Despite the fancy graphs and playing with words, the WT cannot deny that having overlapping generations still means 2 generations. You can only overlap one thing if there is another thing. As such, their current doctrine is simply not supported by the scriptures as Jesus was talking about one generation, single: "This generation.... etc".

No matter how they play it, overlapping generation is plural. I guess hardly anyone of the R&F realize this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit