Overlapping Generation

by pandorasbox1914 104 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• waton
    waton
    Will we be made to feel we were wrong to believe the generation from 1914 will not pass away?

There is already a feeling there is something wrong with that belief. because:

The generation can not be the anointed: because they will pass away, and Jesus said they will not,

and it can not be the other sheep, because

Jesus said the generation will pass away after all these things have occurred.

Yes you will have to accept the blame for having believed all that, starting with the talking snake.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

What ever revisions they are doing to their past failed doctrines, they would cleverly and silently sneak the new doctrineinto one of their studies, not giving much importance to it as if its not a big deal. Time will mold it, and thats what they beleive and it really works.

They would never admit they were wrong. Rather they would say "Adjustment in thinking"

What a CULT!!

• James Jack
    James Jack

No where in the Bible is the term "overlapping generations" mentioned!

• waton
    waton
    No where in the Bible is the term "overlapping generations" mentioned!

JJ: true, but it does so indirectly, and of course David S. did not say "overlapping generations" but "overlapping groups". and

there clearly were overlapping groups in the bible.

Each generation had a female group and a male group. they definitely overlapped / underlapped, it happened every time somebody "begat" somebody else.

The begatting overlap. from the german "Gatte" = husband.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Another take on what constitutes a Generation according to the Scriptures in the Bible.

Will 3 Bible witness texts be enough ?

1. Matt.1 : 17 ,Jesus born about 2 B.C. Abraham about 2018 B.C. and there are 42 generations between them covering 2016 years .

2016 years divided by 42 Generations = 48 years that equates to one Generation.

2. Luke 3 : 23-38 where we have 76 generations from Adam to Jesus a total of 4024 years ,

And when we divide 4024 years by 76 generations we have 53 years that equates to one generation.

3. Matt.24 : 1-2 , Jesus died just after uttering this prophecy when he was 33 years old and according to the scriptures it was full filled in the year 70 A.D about 37-8 years ,when he said this generation will not pass away.

In other words it would not go longer than 50 years .

So here is three Biblical witnesses that put a Biblical Generation at approximately 50 years in length give or take a few years .

And their is no indication of any sort in scripture of an overlapping generation ,that is purely a figment of imagination of Jehovah`s Witnesses to cover up there failed prophecy / predictions once again.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Right on, smiddy3!

I was just about to say the same thing (I did the same math you did when this 'generation' thing started) ......

Yep, smiddy3, since "Jesus set the example" "This generation will by no means pass away" What happened in HIS day? From 33 to 70 is how many "generation years"? 37, plain and simple. NOT 120 or more.

Sit down and shut up JWs.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005
    The September 2015 broadcast had David Splane explain Matthew 24:34 “Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place”. His explanation of this scripture was by means of a chart to indicate an overlapping generation.

Let's make this case perfectly sPlane -- Matt 24:34 had a clear omission, a word that was available in those days, overlapping.

It should have said, "this overlapping generation will not pass away until all these things take place."

An obvious blunder on the part of Matthew in the taking of Jesus' dictation -- or Jesus, in dictating. But we certainly can't blame Jesus, now can we? That would be blasphemy.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Good arguments, Smiddy3 and Cha Ching.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Here is a great little video shedding light on WTS versions of "this generation"!

https://youtu.be/sc-quw6PdDI

• Ding
    Ding

Splane's s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g o-f t-h-e 1-9-1-4 g-e-n-e-r-a-t-i-o-n reminds me of the infamous photo of Nixon's secretary, Rose Mary Woods, demonstrating how she "accidentally" erased 18 1/2 minutes of a key Watergate tape.

Image result for rosemary woods tape erasure

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit