Overlapping Generation

by pandorasbox1914 103 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pandorasbox1914
    pandorasbox1914

The September 2015 broadcast had David Splane explain Matthew 24:34 “Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place”. His explanation of this scripture was by means of a chart to indicate an overlapping generation.

No scripture was used to show the overlapping generation concept, and as a result it makes no sense.

To illustrate how crazy this concept is, look at the lyrics of the song My Generation.

My Generation

In 1965 Pete Townshend of The Who wrote the song My Generation, he told Rolling Stone magazine in 1985 that "'My Generation' was very much about trying to find a place in society."

So with this in mind insert overlapping before generation and see if it makes any sense!

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    This is my generation
    This is my generation, baby
    Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    This is my generation
    Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    And don't try to d-dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    I'm not trying to cause a b-big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    This is my generation
    People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    Just because we g-g-get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    Yeah, I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
    This is my generation

If you insert overlapping before generation the song no longer works, it does not tell the story as it was written, it makes no sense!

I postulate that overlapping generation has been formulated to overcome the failed 1914 prediction, the increasing anointed numbers and to perpetuate the Cult of FDS for the foreseeable future.

For just as inserting overlapping before generation in the song makes no sense, inserting overlapping before generation in Matthew 24:34 makes even less sense, as these are the words of Jesus himself, if he meant overlapping generation then he would have said so. But the reality is, he did not say this, so logically he did not mean this!

• sparky1
    sparky1

I am of the opinion that some 'brain dead' member of the Governing Body (tm) helpers committee came up with the idea of applying 'overlapping generations economic theory' to Jehovah's Witnesses problem of how to explain away the 1914 generation teaching. Look what the fools did with three loaves of bread!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Generation??? No, it's ''generations'''.
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt
    I think one of the funny parts of his chart is that it shows the time from today to the Great Tribulation about equal to all the time where you see the "anointed" in the pink strips. Then they wondered why people would think the End wasn't coming next Tuesday.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

it works for me.

my 94 y old jw dad passed away last month--before that--there was him--me--my older son--39---and his baby boy.

all the same overlapping generation. so when this current overlapping generation passes away--it should be another 70 plus years ahead. so armageddon is just around a very distant corner---long after the watchtower cult is just a distant vague memory.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

They were pressured to come up with some trite bullshit to uphold 1914 and the generation of ones who supposedly witnessed the events of that year.

Part of being the head editorial writers for the WTS is coming up with bullshit lies to appeal to an already believing and indoctrinated audience.

A few years from now the WTS heads will be saying, well I guess we got it wrong about 1914. New light

• prologos
    prologos
    BethSarim:

Generation??? No, it's ''generations' That is why in WT lingo it is one generation, overlapping groups. It is more like an relay race in the Olympics, passing the baton, wt writers please note: -- it is limited to 4 --. 2 are done, a limit of only 2 to go. hah. = 2236 for an olympus style overlap lapsing.

stanlivedeath: condolences, 94? well done! The Splane explanation in he OP actually carries it's build in example, the ~ 100 year old WTBtS INC's president F. Franz who died in 1092, ~ 80 year after his anointing, and a similar individual grabbing the Baton in 1992, would bring the second group to ~ 2075. way off that wt chart.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''It is more like an relay race in the Olympics, passing the baton, wt writers please note: -- it is limited to 4 --. 2 are done, a limit of only 2 to go. hah''

Pass the baton. From generation to generation.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein
    Its funny when the GB heads make shit up and everyone else in the Christian theology community just shake their heads in disbelief, like their nuts .
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

'' like their nuts ''

Maybe they are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit