$5.5 Million to be transferred to World Wide Work from Assembly Hall fund

by Sour Grapes 90 Replies latest jw experiences

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Wouldn't it be great if the circuit voted against this resolution. Then have the org. Confiscate the money anyway.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

So what are they doing for a hall in that area now? I would think having and owning a hall would be a big money maker so why rent?

• PorkyFree
    PorkyFree

This is so typical of the deceptive and sneaky cult. They did a similar thing in New Zealand when they sold off the entire branch facility for many millions. They promised to build new KingDumb Halls and never did. the money all went offshore to Watchtower. This World Wide Work thing is a total scam.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I'm sorry, Sour Grapes, for those affected by this move. I can add nothing other than when I became a Witness in the '60s, we rented the civic auditorium in my coastal town for the circuit assembly and the fairgrounds for the district.

Sure, it was lot of work, but it was good to participate in the set up, the cooking, distributing the anticipated releases -- everything that made our faith seem relevant. And leaving the venue cleaner than when we arrived. Oh yeah, the latest from FWF!

For the circuit assembly, the Friday evening meal was prepared in portable kitchens, then the program; Saturday morning service, afternoon and evening programs; Sunday, the same. Not to overlook, the three squares during each day of the weekend. It was exciting as we anticipated the countdown to the Big A.

No denying the craziness of the religion, but money and real estate were by no means the focus.

What a total letdown, on all counts.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Coco: It was exciting as we anticipated the countdown to the Big A.
    No denying the craziness of the religion, but money and real estate were by no means the focus.

Well, it might not have been the focus for you, Coco, but...

The 60s and 70s were a buying frenzy for the WTS:

https://therealdeal.com/2016/09/22/the-secret-to-jehovahs-witnesses-real-estate-success-maintenance-and-patience/

When the rest of Brooklyn Heights was besieged by crime and blight in the 1960s and 1970s, the Witnesses snapped up properties and meticulously maintained them. “The Bossert Hotel, when they bought it, was a mess,” Citi Habitats’ TRData LogoTINY Christopher Havens told the Commercial Observer. “There were hookers there.”
    coco: What a total letdown, on all counts.

Not so much for the WTS. They made lot$$$$$$ on their wise and prudent real estate foresight. While you and the other faithful JWs were concentrated on cleaning convention rentals, they were stockpiling real estate in Brooklyn that paid them back large.

At one point, the Witnesses held 4.5 million square feet over 30 buildings. They’re down to nine buildings, having made about $1.25 billion on staggered sales since 2004, according to the CO.
    In August, a partnership between Kushner Companies, CIM Group and LIVWRK closed on the flagship Watchtower building for $340 million.
    “The selling off in a systematic manner worked to their benefit because they set the market,” said Timothy King of CPEX Real Estate. “Each sale almost set a record for one [transaction] but then raised the bar for the next one. This was very thoroughly thought out and executed.”
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Could they have strongly suggested that the money would be used for new buildings "somewhere" but really never said that exactly? I mean, is it likely that they really only promised it would be transferred to the worldwide work and that money was needed for building projects?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, OC, for the reality check.

Come to think of it, when I went to Bethel in '69, the Squibb Building had been recently purchased, but it was Jehovah's hand in the matter! There was a story told about how Squibb spent a fortune shoring up the quicksand base, and . . . Apocryphal tales are not told at World Headquarters!

I've always been naive and easily swayed, believing and hoping the best. I guess the seamy underbelly developed very early on. It simply did not occur to many of us that Jehovah would permit anything that "broke the rules." Was I ever uninformed!

It's good there are realists like you who know the truth and state it. I'm still trying to shed my Pollyanna nature and get real.

Thanks for links.

CC

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Hi fellow Hoosier!!!

Wow, that's crazy. I remember them selling the assembly hall in Indy and the promises of a new one in Cincy. Lmao at all of the sheeple donating money to protect pedophiles, errr.... I mean bring glory to Jehovah with their valuable things.

Didn't they make everyone make a pledge to donate some amount chosen by each family to this? Lol, they expect you to live up to yours but they can change their end. I thought Jehovah didn't change. Idiots.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart

They dont need any money for new kingdom halls because they have stopped printing millions of magazines each year and have sold most if not all the property they had in new york and are doing the same in central london

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I have attached some pictures of our assembly hall that was sold for $2.7 million to another church. So if $5.5 million is being transferred to the worldwide work that means that the JDubs in Indiana and southern Ohio had $2.8 million in contributions to the Assembly Hall fund. Oh well, Mother knows best. They will just have to be happy to continue to have their circuit assemblies in college gyms. In another year there will be another push to start saving for another Assembly Hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit