Evolution is a Fact #31 - Ten Questions for Creationists

by cofty 95 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Hoob, why would you not join the conversation yourself?

You were criticized for lazily posting links.

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

Hoob is yet another candidate for the Dunning-Kruger effect. Although to demonstrate such a low level of understanding in just 2 posts is unusual...

1 - Does not understand what peer review means.

2 - Does not understand what science is and how it works (hence the link to a creationscience site).

3 - Does not understand logical fallacies; confuses constructive criticism with a personal attack.

4 - Uses the term evolutionist...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I would argue that an "evolutionist" - in an accurate rendering of the term - is simply one who accepts that virtually everything evolves... biological life, social systems, technology, whatever.

By that logic, I'd be hard-pressed to deny the label, myself.

• cofty
    cofty

I don't think accepting the fact of evolution deserves a label.

I also accept that gravity is a thing.

• talesin
    talesin
    I don't think accepting the fact of evolution deserves a label.

Neither do I, but when a person takes every opportunity they can find, to assert their passionate crusade to make all creationists or believers in g-d, see THE TRUTH, that goes way beyond 'accepting the fact of evolution'.

Making derogatory comments about the idiocy of people of faith, and jeering and laughing at them, goes far beyond 'accepting the fact of evolution'. It is the essence of forcing your own conclusions on others, and belittling them because they have their own thoughts and feelings that are different from yours, that defines a bully.

• cofty
    cofty

Just rushing out Talesin but I Iook forward to responding later.

By the way there is something wrong with your keyboard again...

"creationists or believers in g-d"
  • talesin
    talesin

No, my keyboard has always typed the word g-d that way. Must be demunz in the keyboard. Enjoy your reply, I won't be reading. That was a statement of my opinion, and as such, is not arguable. Opinion is not fact.

If you choose to writhe in your attempts to prove you are not a bully, I wish you well. : )

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

talesin - If what you state here "That was a statement of my opinion" was stated accurately then it does not follow that anything needs to be disproven...

• cofty
    cofty

Talesin let's have a chat about your latest rant.

Creationism is THE fundamental dogma of Jehovah's Witnesses. No Adam means no ransom and the whole house of cards collapses.

Refuting most JW doctrines amounts to arguing about one interpretation of a fictional book over against another. Evolution is different. We can prove beyond all reasonable doubt that creationism is wrong using objective evidence.

The proof is not a simple soundbite. It depends on thousands of interconnected facts, many of which require some basic knowledge of science. Evolution is the one doctrine that ex-JWs seem to be prone to hold onto.

My objective in this series of threads has been to bring together a variety of lines of evidence and explain them in a way that is accessible to a typical JW. In my opinion it is a worthwhile venture. I have PMs from a number of individuals who have found this information helpful. Just last night I was watching a video of a talk by Matt Dillahunty and Aron Ra. A member of the audience introduced himself as an ex-JW and told them that he had managed to persuade his JW mother that "evolution is a fact".

I will never apologise for having the patience to share and explain important information. All I ever get from Jesus' followers in return is personal attacks, name calling and insults. That only makes me more convinced that it is worthwhile.

Making derogatory comments about the idiocy of people of faith, and jeering and laughing at them.. - Talesin

I never do that. Faith is not a valid basis for knowledge but having faith does not make somebody an idiot.

It is the essence of forcing your own conclusions on others

Sharing facts is not forcing your conclusions on others. You have a very low opinion of believers if you think anybody could be forced to think something.

belittling them because they have their own thoughts and feelings that are different from yours

I don't do that. When I get called names by Jesus' followers I don't retaliate, I respond with facts.

Thoughts and feelings are not relevant to a discussion about what is true. The only thing that matters is evidence. I pay others the respect of assuming that they care about reality even if it conflicts with their feelings.

that defines a bully.

How can respectfully debating facts in a religious discussion forum amount to bullying? My conduct in all of my conversations is exemplary.

Your accusation is out of order. Next time you want to derail a thread with a personal attack please use PM.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Well - Was you there?

Science Shmiance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj4Dq3ebNrc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit