Evolution is a Fact #31 - Ten Questions for Creationists

by cofty 95 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

The Scotsman - Would I be right in guessing you haven't read a single word of the "Evolution is a Fact" series?

I have defined exactly what the fact is that I am defending numerous times in the past 31 threads.

Here it is again just for you...

Every living thing evolved from a common ancestor over millions of years.

This is the fact about evolution about which there is no sensible dispute.

So do you have any answers to the ten questions above?

• cofty
    cofty
    I still believe though in an ultimate creator at the start of it all. Basically I believe he set the ball rolling and then let nature take its course. - tornapart

Thanks for that. What you have described is perhaps the only way to reconcile science and religion. It is usually referred to as "theistic evolution" and is the position of eminent scientists such as Ken Miller and Francis Collins.

We have to be careful to commit 100% to methodological naturalism. In other words there is not a single detail in all of life's long history that cannot be explained without resorting to the supernatural. No arguments about complexity are permitted.

As soon as you claim that something is too complex to occur without an intelligent designer you have stopped doing science and joined Ken Ham & co.

I have serious questions about that as a theological position but at least it respects the science.

• cofty
    cofty

Coded Logic - Good example of Poe's Law.

• hooberus
    hooberus

cofty, if someone responded to all 31 of your threads and was able to demonstrate that your points do not show that evolution is a fact what would you do?

• sir82
    sir82

cofty, if someone responded to all 31 of your threads and was able to demonstrate that your points do not show that evolution is a fact what would you do?

I can't speak for Cofty, but what I would do is see to it that the person was immediately nominated for a Nobel prize. Upending a core scientific principle with compelling evidence would be astoundingly fantastic.

• cofty
    cofty

Hello hoob.

I see from your posting history that this topic is your speciality. You have approaching 100 threads of copy-paste lifted straight from the websites of evolution-deniers. Most of it is the same sort of "ID" pseudoscience that Perry posts. Walls of text that he doesn't even begin to understand.

Let's be honest there are millions of pages on the internet that we can all find in a few seconds that purports to refute evolution. Some of it is terrible and some of it looks impressive to anybody who doesn't know better. It all adds up to "complexity therefore Jesus/Allah/Joe Smith/Jehovah". Anybody who falls for copy-paste merchants deserves to live in ignorance.

If any of it could survive peer review it would be awesome. Imagine if it could be shown that an intelligent creator must exist. That would be fucking amazing.

By the way it's 31 so far. If you search "human evolution" in google scholar you get 4 million papers. Evolution does not rest on my 31 brief tidbits.

• prologos
    prologos

I am going to second tornapart on his contribution, and will go further by saying that

The evolutionary process that followed abiogenesis, that was allowed by the creation event, would require more genius to set up then the hands- on workshop tinkering that the bible portrays, and cofty seems to be fond of indirectly attacking. It takes better work to build an autonomous system then a remote control device, and creation as far as we know, is totally on autopilot. a deist's take.

Cofty's challenge proves evolution works, but it does not prove that evolution is not work.

• Island Man
    Island Man

"In answer to all your questions: We do not have all the answers at this time. Perhaps Jehovah will fill us in on the details in the New System. We just need to wait on Jehovah and put faith in what bible says and not be swayed by the satanic propaganda being spouted by worldly scientists."

LOL.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Coded - "Because scientists are dishonestly trying to make the model fit the evidence..."

Too funny. :+1:

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

sir82 - "Upending a core scientific principle with compelling evidence would be astoundingly fantastic."

Successfully - and scientifically - disproving evolution would also be ridiculously profitable for the Religious Right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit