What Do The English & Australians Think Of Americans On This Board???

by minimus 112 Replies latest jw friends

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

How many french people have I known. ? None. I saw some at an airport bar once.

Rude. Licentuous.

• shamus
    shamus

Ha! My .02 cents (about what its worth, too! )

Any person can be an arse - doesn't matter where you come from. I used to hate americans. Now I don't - not because of sept. 11, but because I finally realized that we are all just people from different parts of the world. Putting generalizations on anyone is silly.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

"Come on guys, these aint nasty comments, I didn't call every American an idiot, I was just speaking generally about the American way of life."

Oh, oh, much better. It's much better to hate a nation's "way of life," than to hate every individual in the nation.

And, by the by, just curious. What the the English think of the French? Of Germans? Of Italians? Of Russia?

I think you'd find THOSE comments to be quite revealing. And worth about as much real concern as this entire thread is.

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Every country has it's stereo-typical view of people from other countries, which rarely match the reality when you meet people from the same countries. The American view of the English is a classic example:

They think that we all talk like an English lord and wear bowler-hats, they don't know that Britain is not England and that Scots, welsh and Irish are extremely insulted by being called English.

But the British view of Americans is as wrong too. Americans are not all John Wayne style cowboys with big ranches, although watching television, any American wears a stetson.

I think the best example of stereotypes is the regional view of certain people.

The Americans look down their noses at Canadians and visa-versa. Americans think Canadians all have teams of Husky's and go skiing all the time. Canadians think Americans are know-it all bully's.

The Austrailians make fun of New Zealanders and call into question their relationship with their sheep!

And The ENglish think the Scots are tight-fisted, drunken yobs (that ones true) and that the welsh are sheep sh##gers like the New Zealanders, and the Irish are the butt of all the stupid jokes that come around.

Everyone has to be considered an individual, not labelled as a stereotype, because they are usually wrong

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well I'm a Brit whose job has moved to Scotland and they really do drink a lot, and show us up. I can't keep up, and I'm jealous.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

The American view of the English is a classic example:

They think that we all talk like an English lord and wear bowler-hats, they don't know that Britain is not England and that Scots, welsh and Irish are extremely insulted by being called English.

Ha Ha Ha!!

I think you have been reading Barbara Cartland romance novels.....

Honestly, I think you all talk like John Lennon and have bad teeth. I am not sure on the hat issue....I have noticed that the queen has a propensity for wearing them....I would not call them bowler-hats, however.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you there, Mulan. Whilst you may be able to laugh at yourself, there is the observation that Americans take themselves far too seriously (the war topic is a recent example). The slightest hint of criticism of America or Americans is viewed as "America-bashing", and many Americans take such criticism personally, as if we were attacking them.

Maybe this applies to a possible vocal minority, but this is my observation of Americans on this board.

Well, when one observes a few individuals who seem to delight in taking ignorant potshots at every available opportunity, one feels compelled to respond in kind.

Such as the following:

Pope, They also have a fast-food chain called "In and Out"... doesn't say much about the quality of the food, does it?

You are correct. The title doesn't say nearly enough, because the title In And Out is not reflective of the quality of food served there, but refers mostly to the era in which is was founded, the 1950s Southern California. But, most intelligent people understand that the title does not make the book.

IN and Out is almost always voted the best burger when people voted for their favorite burger place. But then again, we are AMERCANS and don't have the highly developed palate like those such as yourself, right?

Andee
    Give me a "Double-Double" class.

• Prisca
    Prisca
    I apologize to you Prisca if you have ever said good things about the USA

Apology accepted, Lyin. I have said positive things about the USA in the past (such as the hospitality of the people I've met, and the beauty places I've visited) but those comments have been conveniently forgotten by many on this board.

Well, when one observes a few individuals who seem to delight in taking ignorant potshots at every available opportunity, one feels compelled to respond in kind.

Such as the following:

Pope, They also have a fast-food chain called "In and Out"... doesn't say much about the quality of the food, does it?

For goodness sake, it was a joke. A bit of humour to lighten up things. And BTW, it wasn't made in complete ignorance - I have eaten at that said establishment (in the USA) and it wasn't anything memorable.

• Valis
    Valis

uh Prisca...maybe because you been out in the bush too long...a memorable hamburger is like a good blow job from the Queen Mum...it aint gonna happen....get real woman...you eat anywhere else while you were here or are you just honing your generalizations a bit more? *LOL* You really do need to travel more...

As for some of you, I'm not sure why there is a need for the anti US threads, nor the fact that they keep springing up, other than you people don't really care if the US contingent is here, or how they feel, and can't really say what you think about the people from the board ONLY (instead of your insipid generealizations). It also helps I suppose to have it sanctioned by the moderators and Simon under the guise of friendly conversation....bullshit.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Prisca
    Prisca
    maybe because you been out in the bush too long

Oooh-err, another generalisation... can't have that now, can we?

Valis dear, I have travelled far more extensively than you realise, including countries that don't even use the same alphabet that we do. Can you say the same?

And whilst I was in the good ole US of A, I did visit a number of eating establishments, and yes, I agree with you that American hamburgers are nothing worth remembering. Aussie hamburgers on the other hand....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit