What Do The English & Australians Think Of Americans On This Board???

by minimus 112 Replies latest jw friends

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Prisca:

In your replies to both me and Axtec, you made blanket statements, something you claim shouldn't be done. Axtec made comments based on her own observations, yet you belittle them, based on assumptions you have. Don't you see the hypocrisy in what you wrote to her?

Um, Prisca- I'm not finding blanket statements in what I wrote to either one of you. In what I wrote to you- I was talking to you and you have proven many times your lack of knowledge about the U.S. in the threads you've engaged in here. Please point out the blanket statements I made in what I wrote to you.

In what I wrote to Aztec, first of all, I wasn't "belittling" anything. She made some generalizations about Americans and then admitted that the people she was talking about were those she met was while she was working. I was talking to her about the generalizations she made in a previous post and I'm not finding any blanket statements there either.

Not to mention your laughable assessment about my observations and knowledge of American culture/history/sociology.

My assessment is there based on what you have proven yourself along the way. In one thread where you decided to bash Americans I asked you to have a discussion with me about specifics in American history that were being discussed at the time and you said you didn't feel like looking it up on the internet on a Sunday afternoon. You admitted that you didn't have the knowledge you would need -you'd have to look it up yet you were there in that thread throwing criticism out there about that very subject. If you'd like a link- I'll post one. I could post several in fact where your lack of knowledge is evident. My point still is that if you are going to criticize- fine- but you should at least have sufficient knowledge about what you are being critical about first.

Honey, I dare say that every one of the Australians/Poms on this board know more about your country than you will ever know about ours.

Sweetie, this is the 2nd time you have said this to me and you still aren't getting it. It is totally irrelevant what my knowledge of your country is- I'm not criticising your country. Find another red herring- that one is cooked.

America is a highly visable country, a country whose actions affect many millions more than just those living in the USA. Thus, the country is held up to scutiny, not to mention those who live in it.

And the criticisms for that scrutiny should go further than what is gleaned from the media.

XW

• Aztec
    Aztec

I stand by my statements. ~Aztec

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Princess I agree with you.

Well said XW , I am with ya girl.

Jesika, also well said.

I admit I do not know much about politics or cultures in other countries, but I dont see why I would keep responding to threads that bash these countries I don't know much about. Why? Because if I did it could be taken that I am personally attacking the person writing the post .

I just dont understand Prisca why the heck you want to keep talking about the USA in the way that you do. Maybe if you know so much about American history , you can talk about some of the good things America has done, I am sure you will find a few things you can be positive about, if you try.

It just gets old only hearing the negative things,,,,,,,, which if you think about the big picture,,,,,,,,ALL countries have negative and postive things,,,,,,,,you just have to be balanced and then it doesnt come across that you are just bashing the USA. I apologize to you Prisca if you have ever said good things about the USA, I just cant recall at this time that you ever have. There is no way you can know as much as you think about the USA, you can't see the many facets of the government here and the good things that it does do.

When you consider the USA, you have to also think outside of government, there are many good things about this country that have to do with the people who live here, the society , heritage etc. that goes way beyound world politics. I am sure it is that way in Austraila too.

Ask any American, and they can give you a list of things they dont like about the government , the laws, etc. but they can also give you a list of great things here . You have to look at the big picture to really understand what living in America is really about.

• minimus
    minimus

VIVAMUS-----What exactly is your kind???-----MINIMUS

• riz
    riz

great post, Dede. I like how you handle difficult people in such a diplomatic way. I'm not as patient as you are, that's for sure.

Prisca, I don't know the reasons behind why you say what you do about the Americans on this board and Americans in general, but it is very tiresome to see nothing but negativity coming from you about us.

I know that nothing any of us say to you will change your mind, but honestly. We get the point. Do you really need to jump in at every possible opportunity to get a dig in? My government does things that I absolutely do not agree with. Do I personally have anything to do with the choices that my government makes? NO. I don't know why you need to have it explained to you, but the fact is that the government of the United States is not representative of all of its citizens.

Maybe you just like to pick fights. I don't understand why you have to constantly say the things that you say.

You are the most vocal Australian here. I know Ozziepost is vocal too, but he doesn't go around picking fights at every given opportunity. You basically say that you get an idea of what all Americans are like based on some Americans on this forum. My point is this. What you are doing is tantamount to a poster deciding he didn't like your attitude so he was going to unrelentingly blast Australia and all of its citizens based on only his dislike for Prisca.

Please, cease and desist. You are only making yourself look bad.

• Princess
    Princess

Princess,

It is pretty hard not to make generalisations in topics where opinions are being asked for. The only way of ensuring generalisations never ever happen is to have scientific studies made. Is that what you want? After all, the most generalised group of people on this board are JWs. Frequently broad-brush statements are made regarding JWs, but no one worries about that! How many times are statements made such as, "All JWs are evil" or, "All JWs are idiots for believing what they do". Yet I rarely see anyone (especially the generalising-hating Americans) getting upset over generalisations made about JWs!

Then if all you can contribute are generalizations, I suggest you do not contribute. You will find if you look back through my posts that I do not contribute to the wide sweeping generalizations about groups such as JWs. Since I am not a JW anymore, I see no reason to jump all over those who say such things. If I were a part of the generalized group, I would have something to say about it.

I think I have personally met only one Australian person. Should I be allowed to post my opinion of Aussies based on this one woman? I have heard a lot about them from the media. Perhaps I can share what I think based on that.

I won't, I was raised better than that. Thanks mom and dad for teaching me manners.

• Francois
    Francois

Hamas, would that be a middle-eastern name? Would you dislike America and America because of our successes and our riches and our power - all things that your countries in the middle east do not have, along with no knowledge whatsoever about the production and distribution of deodorant?

Let's get the entire story out here, Hamas? Your nationality? Your education level? Your place of residence (is it somewhere in the Levant?) Come on. The whole magilla.

francois

• Francois
    Francois

Minimus, you said, "...It seems to me that this board's force comes..." What do you mean, "...this board's force?" What force are you speaking of here? Are you saying the Force is not with us? A little more explanation, please.

francois

• Maverick
    Maverick

What is all this stuff? My best buddy is a flaming Aussie. Big, hairy, smelly brut with a heart of gold...er maybe its brass...anyway, I have been 'in country' and all I can say about the locals, (Australian) is summed up in an observation I have made. The two spokesmen that the tourist board in Australia uses to promote their country; Steve Irwin and Paul Hogan both have American wives. My buddy has a very beautiful American wife and I, (after having checked out the local ladies with great care and lust), would do the same as those guys. When an Aussie comes here and meets our gals the homely local yocals just can't compete. Maverick PS They can't cook either!

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

..."what do you think about the French"....

Ack. The french are a licentuous, though unwashed, people. The English do not like the rude smelly french. And I am English. The English have always surpassed the French when it comes to warfare. The French dont like fighting.

That is my opinion of the French.

Prisca. I see you continue to do your work of baiting Americans with all vigour. nearly 6000 posts there girly. well done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit