What is your opinion of the news media?

by minimus 491 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Easy - I'm not sure it'd be easy.

Repeat the 80s - the USSR of the 80s and Russia of the 2010s are different entities, with perhaps slightly different foreign policies, leading to different situations.

Putin sees Crimea as Russian, not part of independent Ukraine. He may feel the same way about other areas of land which border the Russian Federation. OTOH In the 80s, Ukraine, Crimea and the Baltic states were all ruled by puppet leaders installed by Moscow, so no need for power grabs and shelling there.

Recognise that Russia is acting as an enemy and adjust

Make CLEAR AND CREDIBLE threats

Declare sanctions can't be lifted without serious Russian concessions - ok, these three points sound like good suggestions. Would they have stopped Putin from annexing Crimea, had they been in place?

This worked when Russia was a superpower - I think you mean when the USSR was a superpower? I think we should be careful not to conflate the Russia of today and the USSR of the 80s.

Make CLEAR AND CREDIBLE threats - such as?

• bohm
    bohm

LUHE: Since you haven't read about Putin your claim that Russia today vs. Cold war is different in relevant ways insofar policy is concerned is a bit hollow. If you have relevant literature on the subject I would like to see it, but quite frankly I find this "you read A, now I say B, try to disprove me" is a bit tedious.

Would they have stopped Putin from annexing Crimea, had they been in place?

If you have an iPhone, you can ask Siri.

This is a complex question but irrelevant: What matters is which policy will discourage the current behavior from the Putin regime. One where his behavior has clear, tangible consequences or one where he gets a slap on the hand and sanctions are then lifted.

You argued that what the US should do with Russia is lift sanctions and pursue common goals in Syria. This is something I have only seen warnings about and which I don't understand what means since Russias goal in Syria is an alliance with the Assad regime and further destabilization of EU. Terror in the EU by Muslims is a feature not a bug from Putins perspective, if not, you have to explain to me why a stream of refugees in EU in any way should be bad from a Russian perspective.

I think you mean when the USSR was a superpower? I think we should be careful not to conflate the Russia of today and the USSR of the 80s.

In which way are Russia and USSR relevantly different?

• bohm
    bohm
    Make CLEAR AND CREDIBLE threats - such as?

The usual, article 5 is in place and non-negotiable, as long as cyberattacks continue sanctions remain in place, infowarfare means expulsion of diplomats and agents, when Russia breaks a missile treaty which they just did forward deploy more nuclear weapons, no-fly zones in Syria, etc. etc.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

These are the gatekeepers of the media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO8OnxEld3M

LRG

• bohm
    bohm

good video littlerockguy. Should the tinfoil go on the head or over the windows?

• flipper
    flipper

My opinion of the media is the same as put down in the constitution by our forefathers in the United States. There should be freedom of the press. In any country that promotes a democratic society- there should be freedom of the press. So people are allowed to see alternative views and then make informed decisions based on information.

In Trumps world view - by saying that the press is " the enemy " - he's promoting a totalitarian, dictatorship type of view of the press - essentially saying any of the press which disagrees with him is considered " fake news " or " dangerous " - much like the way the WT Society tries to have information control on it's JW followers in not allowing them to have access to information that disagrees with WT leaders and their views.

Trump is heading down a dangerous pathway I feel in trying to disempower the news media so his agenda ( whatever the hell that is, it changes from day to day ) can be met. But the way he verbally lambasts the U.S. allies- countries who have been our friends , yet at the same time seems to favor Putin in Russia - I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that Trump wants an eventual alliance with Russia to double up the power play on countries to get oil and totalitarian power. It's just too strange to see Trumps vice president trying to secure peaceful relations with Nato and Europe- while Trump seems to work in opposite directions. Stay tuned folks- this is going to be a bumpy ride. Peace out, mr. Flipper

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

you read A, now I say B - we're coming at things from different perspectives. This is allowed in a discussion forum.

People with different levels of knowledge on a given subject are also allowed to participate in this forum. Just because my level of knowledge on Russian politics is inferior to yours, it doesn't mean that I have to go away and read hours and hours worth of material or pass exams before I can even discuss these matters with you. That's not how this forum works.

If you have an iPhone, you can ask Siri - no, I asked you. It's relevant because maybe Putin's eyeing up other countries/areas of land to annex.

You argued that what the US should do with Russia is lift sanctions and pursue common goals in Syria. This is something I have only seen warnings about and which I don't understand what means since Russias goal in Syria is an alliance with the Assad regime and further destabilization of EU - yes, the knock-on effect of Putin teaming up with Assad is a stream refugees to the EU and possible destabilisation and future acts of terrorism in EU countries. Up till now, I'm sure Vlad doesn't mind this. But I find it interesting that you've chosen to blame Putin without mentioning the EU's lax borders and mass immigration policies. The EU itself must also share some blame. Why can't the EU seriously tighten its borders/immigration policy and work with Putin, and Putin continue to work with Assad?

... no-fly zones in Syria - would this be legal? AFAIK, Assad is an internationally recognised head of state. He's chosen to invite the Russian military into Syria. Russia is the only country that has a legal right to be present in Syria. I don't think other countries have a legal right to be there.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

In which way are Russia and USSR relevantly different? - the USSR of the 80s and Russia of today are different. Whether that's relevant or not is a point of view.

Putin sees areas of land with large ethnic Russian minorities that were once part of Russia or ruled by Moscow as part of the USSR. He wants them back, hence the land grab of Crimea, with possibly more to come in the future. This adds up to a very aggressive foreign policy in Europe that, up till now, puts Russia at odds with the EU/US/NATO. Add to this there are terrorist hubs in the Middle East that can only be fought with countries' cooperation.

Now, the USSR of the 80s was different. Crimea, Ukraine and the Baltics were ruled from Moscow. The USSR's foreign policy was different. It wasn't as aggressive because it didn't need to make land grabs that Putin has done/may yet do - the USSR already ruled Crimea, Latvia, Ukraine, etc. The sanctions and other proposals you put forward worked then but that doesn't follow that they'd work today with Putin.

Also there's another big difference - there's much Islamic terrorism today in the Middle East. This needs to be fought by many countries cooperating with each other. Back in the 80s there was little to no Islamist threat.

• kpop
    kpop

kpop. Fake news about the protests outside parliament. If you had taken 30 seconds to look it up, you would have seen The Hill said thousands of protesters, not hundreds of thousands. Shame on you.

It literally says, "hundreds of thousands" and then again, "about 300,000" protestors in their Tweet and their original article. Here is the screenshot of the original article.

Once again, you lied to me because you believe what you want to believe and you defend the media because the media is against Trump and you are against Trump so even though they lie you still defend them. Are you ready for me to blow your LIE out of the water even further proving this is fake news?

Here is their "UPDATED" link. Notice what it says now.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/320365-hundreds-of-thousands-of-anti-trump-protesters-gather-outside

Notice they changed the first line in the article to "thousands" of protestors and edited the 300,000 down to just 7,000 protestors. Except, wait... uhh ahhh YES! Look at the link! The original LINK remains with the ORIGINAL title and it clearly says, HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS! Look at the the link please! The link is like the fingerprint! They think we are stupid because just like the JW cult who likes to go back and re-write their own history and NEVER admit wrong, the media is doing the same all day long.

Now, how do you like that? I bet Simon will get a good laugh out of this and 100% PROOF of FAKE NEWS!

Simon, do you see the link? How ironic, they forgot to update the link and make no mention of it in the article. It only says, "Updated 5:55 PM"

Cowards and frauds! Just like the JW cult and 100% FAKE NEWS.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

MSNBC Claim It's Their Job to "Control Exactly What People Think" and not President Donald Trumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm-3fBsptS0

LRG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit