What is your opinion of the news media?

by minimus 491 Replies latest social current

• TD
    TD

My opinion is pretty low. Twice in my life, I've had first-hand knowledge of newsworthy events and in neither instance did the coverage even remotely approximate reality.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

The News media is important but is subject to personal biases of the Management and the persons doing the reporting or questioning. I would love to see a new agency get as close to being objective as possible and wonder how such news would sound and would it draw viewers and be profitable$ at the same time?

Yes the news media seems to have a agenda that is not playing out in Trump's favor but for the most part I trust them over Trump as far as being truthful but all the while realizing they are not being totally objective in reporting the news because they need ratings to sell advertisements. But I have to admit Trump by his actions and words has been no doubt the reason he is making headline news several times in 24 hour day and no doubt his utter contempt for news agencies that report on his lies have drawn up the battle lines.

But the news and the internet is all we got to go on for now and I'm happy for all the leaks.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

Unless there is some huge conspiracy of the Iluminati controlling the world media, I'm going to go with whoever has the preponderance of provable rhetoric and actions. When Breitbart, Fox and Infowars begin to portray a reality that jibes with what I see and hear coming from Trump's mouth, I'll consider weighing all the news equally. I can't help but side with organizations that present a reality I see with my own eyes. My bad.

Meanwhile, I'll say a prayer for all those poor people in Sweden.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Spoletta,

Meanwhile, I'll say a prayer for all those poor people in Sweden.

What happened in Sweden?

• bohm
    bohm
    VI: What happened in Sweden?

Oh, are you missing out!

What happened was that the day before yesterday Trump saw a program on Fox about Sweden and crime (in general). He then slept for 5 hours and turned that into something that happened "last night in Sweden" which he then mentioned in his speech:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/19/world/europe/last-night-in-sweden-trumps-remark-baffles-a-nation.html

This is the kind of thing that would worry me a lot if one of my parents were doing it.

• bohm
    bohm

A thing Trump could mention is the mass shooting in Canada or the synagogues being vandalized with swastika.

But oh no... sweden..bowling green..atlanta...

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Bohm,

Oh, are you missing out!

Thanx for the info. I guess I must have been distracted when that happened.

• Landy
    Landy

You couldn't make it up could you.

His presidency will be like watching a car crash unfold.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yes, Trump appears to have made up some terrorist attack in Sweden that didn't actually happen.

This is very bad - either incompetence or deliberately talking crap (more likely).

Trump deserves proper scrutiny of this behaviour.

But Bohm leaves out why Trump chose Sweden.

So, I'll fill you in: Sweden has big problems with immigration - illegal and legal - and with integration of immigrants into Swedish society, and with sexual crimes carried out by immigrants on ethnic Swedish women. The Swedish media have a policy of reporting crimes carried out by immigrants but they won't say the ethnicity and immigrant status of the criminals.

Multiculturalism - doncha just love it ...

• bohm
    bohm

freemindfade:

Oh come on those two guys again!

Pewdiepie has a well-established record of making jokes with nazis that just aren't funny (this is my subjective belief); i.e. more or less putting Hitler randomly into his content. Wallstreet journal reported on this and Disney decided that they would rather not associate their brand with a guy who makes nazi jokes and stopped their sponsorship.

Kind of like how there is a limit to how many nazi jokes you can make in any publically-facing job; this has nothing to do with a limit of free speech. Pewdiepie has as much right to a Disney sponsorship as I have: none!

That wall street journal is reporting on nazi jokes in videos is just ... what is it called ... free speech. It would almost seem like Sargon of Akkad is complaining that free speech is hurting feelings ;-)

Best part: Sargon of Akkad complains about cherry picking, "unflattering articles", etc.: L-O-L.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit