Do You Think Trump Bares Any Responsibility For The Mass Shootings Occuring?

by minimus 236 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Lv u r correct. This is not a Trump thing.

• cofty
    cofty

I agree with Pete Zahut. If all media outlets voluntarily agreed to never mention the name of a gunman it would reduce the frequency of mass shootings.

As for Trump, I think he issues 'dog whistles'. Sooner or later somebody will respond. I don't think for a moment he approves of this incident but his language is careless.

Henry II once said 'will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?'. Four of his knights rode off and murdered the Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Becket. Henry was mortified. Words have unintended consequences.

• minimus
    minimus

But Trump never suggested to shoot up a place.

• cofty
    cofty

Of course not. If he bears any responsibility it is far more subtle than that.

He could take an uncompromising stance against illegal immigration from Mexico in more professional terms.

Ultimately the blame all rests with the racist with the gun.

• minimus
    minimus

More professional terms.... ok lol like Obama ? Does not do much good

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    I agree with Pete Zahut. If all media outlets voluntarily agreed to never mention the name of a gunman it would reduce the frequency of mass shootings.

Yes and simply report once or twice in a 24 hour period that it happened and stick to the basic facts (time place number of casualties) and refrain from showing video and playing up the emotional reaction of those who witnessed the event.

As it is, they are constantly bringing us instant up dates by the hour and reporting (with video) on every salacious tidbit of information they can possibly find.

• Humphry
    Humphry

I think some of these news agencies get carried away and are trying to blame Trump for every thing under the sun. I also think Trump kind of set the pace for a lot of these agencies by calling them all fake.

That being said let's see what they uncover about the shooters motives and then we can have a more informed discussion about whether or not Trump's rhetoric bares some responsibility in motivating these mass shootings. In any event let us hope the Prez can read the gravity of this situation and refrain from outrageous tweets for a time till things settle down. That's behaving responsibly if you ask me.

What worries me is that with all these mass shootings we might have more by copy cat killing encouraged by these being so close back to back.

• Humphry
    Humphry
    simply report once or twice in a 24 hour period that it happened and stick to the basic facts (time place number of casualties) and refrain from showing video and playing up the emotional reaction of those who witnessed the event.

Unenforceable and against most news outlet agendas and let's not forget this biggie the 1st Amendment "Freedom of the press".

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

That game is easy to play - was it Bernie's fault when one of his supporters shot up a baseball game? Whose fault was it when Christchurch happened (because the shooter had both left-wing and right-wing ideas in his manifesto).

Trump has nothing to do with someone making a conscious decision to do evil. There are a lot of things that play a role in these though, not the least the notoriety the media gives to these people, they're practically made into folk heroes by the media and fuel the left's anti-constitutional agenda.

If the media stops trying to publish the names and manifestoes of these idiots, then nobody would have incentive to even start. In the mean time, 50+ people died in inner cities from drug-related gun violence over the same period of time, thousands were aborted, hundreds died on illegal drugs, in cars, medical error, the flu, cancer etc.

• Simon
    Simon

The mistake everyone is making is going off some mass murderers 'manifesto' as being truthful. There's reason to start doubting that what people put as the reason is really the reason, and not part of what they want to achieve - by causing discord, blaming the wrong people etc...

The current immigration issues in the US are not the fault of Trump, they are the fault of the political system and that is as much the democrats fault as the republicans. It has been broken for years, in no small part because many people actively work to keep it broken because they see benefits from the illegal immigration (either votes or cheap labor).

Maybe people see no future and no hope, like they are trapped in a system rigged against them. They are told that democracy has failed and they have no way to express an opinion that they don't like the present system without being labelled. Throw in constant hyperbole and rhetoric that the world is ending and if anything it's amazing that there aren't more incidents happening.

If anyone believes that Trump is to blame for this then they have to accept other shootings as being the fault of other politicians, where they have much clearer and direct link with their rhetoric and someone's actions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit