Do You Think Trump Bares Any Responsibility For The Mass Shootings Occuring?

by minimus 236 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

1). The workers (4 women of color) call the boss a MF for being a racist.

U N H E ...

I guess I was not clear. I was just presenting a scenario and asking how a company would handle this situation in the workplace. I was not in any way attempting to add personal bias. I was just asking how this would be handled in your place of employment.

Rub a Dub

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Yes, the oxford english dictionary defines racism in terms of belief: the prejudice and discrimination must be based on belief. You must have the belief that members of a race etc etc. If you discriminate against someone without the belief that your race is superior, that is not racism. If you believe that all members of a race possess characteristics etc. that don't distinguish it as superior or inferior, that is not racism.

Question: How exactly do I exactly access someones beliefs to determine whether or not they embrace racist ideals?

So sentences like "go back to where you came from" are ambiguous. We need to use context.

However, context shouldn't matter either! Because if we don't have direct access to others beliefs, and we use OED as our guide, we really can't say anything about anyone being racist.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Rubadub, ok fair enough.

My point is that this isn't necessarily helpful because it might show how political correctness has taken over our work place.

Certainly if that kinda thing was said in the average workplace it would be considered rude. I'm not making excuses for that kinda behaviour.

However, the racist label is used so much that the currency starts to become devalued.

If we're gonna use the word racist then it has to match the dictionary definition.

Because if we don't have direct access to others beliefs, and we use OED as our guide, we really can't say anything about anyone being racist. - no, I disagree. The grand wizard of the KKK is a racist. NoI leader Louis Farrakhan, speaking of white people being inferior 'white devils', is racist.

Trump telling political opponents to GTFOH? Well ...

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Blondie ...

THANK YOU for being so unequivocal and clear.

I agree totally with your comments. I would only add, at you touched on, that if either party has a history of this behavior or it occurs again, then at the very least suspension would be in order if not simply termination.

I think the fact that the ones calling the boss a MF are "new" employees could work either for or against them. It could work for them in the context that the boss should know better and be held to a higher standard. It could work against them by the fact they are new with little or no track record with the company and from a practical standpoint, easier to fire.

Rub a Dub

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Not to beat a dead horse, but I will

If Trump had been caught saying 'I think white people are superior to black people', that would be an unambiguously racist statement. If Trump is or was a member of the KKK, then that would be unambiguous, too.

Again, going by the OED definition, none of this matters. Even if Trump said "I think white people are superior to black people" I have no way of accessing his beliefs. Maybe he doesn't actually believe that white are superior to blacks. Maybe he's just saying it to stir the pot and irk his enemies.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    Hell. . . ALL sentences are ambiguous! - not really, no.

Um, yes.

Ask anyone who does NLP.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

going by the OED definition, none of this matters - if Trump's words are racist we need to see how his words match up to the dictionary definition of racism.

Even if Trump said "I think white people are superior to black people" ... Maybe he doesn't actually believe that white are superior to blacks - but his words would be racist. Because they match up to the dictionary definition.

Saying 'go back to where you came from' doesn't match the definition of racism.

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

He rooted for A$AP Rocky, so he's not all bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuZ2QZKYj7c

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    Even if Trump said "I think white people are superior to black people" ... Maybe he doesn't actually believe that white are superior to blacks - but his words would be racist. Because they match up to the dictionary definition.

I disagree. Those words do not fit the OED definition. The OED definition isn't about words. The definition requires knowing another's beliefs.

1 Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
    1.1 The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Those words do not fit the OED definition - actually, they match up quite well.

If you had a war of words with someone, a la Trump and the 4 Dems, and said

"I think white people are superior to black people"

Well, I think that belief matches up fairly well with this ...

Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit