Regional Convention Attendance

by XBEHERE 93 Replies latest jw friends

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    I remember sitting in the hot sun in a suit sweating your balls off getting dehydrated...

Or if you were in the UK, the opposite problem: getting frozen by the cold wind blowing round the upper levels of the football stadium you're in - or soaked by pouring rain, then having to sit in the stands (or in your car) slowly steaming in a soggy, creased suit!

(Note: of course, we did have hot days too during the conventions, but it depended how good the summer was each year - the rainy/cold ones were worse!)

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Yes, I have experienced both extremes. In The US and Europe. A real pain in the azz!

• Hopeless1
    Hopeless1

Journeyman,

I remember, decades ago, sitting in the stadium of Crystal Palace football ground for the entire circuit assembly frozen cold and soaking wet from drizzle/rain!

Oh happy days!!!?

Now they want my elderly not very well husband to sit in another football stadium in Milton Keynes for an entire weekend, after a gruelling bus journey for a couple of hours each way, - it grieves me.

• blondie
    blondie

I remember reading on here suggested that District now Regional conventions would be changed to only 3 days total, and circuit assemblies all being just one day. Is this a part fulfillment. :)

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

This is fulfillment

A$$emblie$ and CONvention$ are cash cows and are designed to hijack your mind.

2-day circuit a$$emblie$ are now only 1 day because that way they can guilt-trip more people into donating,,2 times. By having 2 circuits meating each time.

• blondie
    blondie

Keeps the schedule of having 3 assemblages yearly of members. The WTS compares it to the 3 festivals celebrated by the Jews yearly in Jerusalem. If they stopped having 3 assemblages yearly, then the "scriptural" basis would disappear. It is like not mentioning 7,000 year creative days on which the WTS calculated 1975. Hasn't been mentioned since 1987 except a quote in 1989. Just gone with the wind.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    opeless111 hours ago
    Journeyman,
    I remember, decades ago, sitting in the stadium of Crystal Palace football ground for the entire circuit assembly frozen cold and soaking wet from drizzle/rain!

i had a similar miserable few days at the old Wembley stadium in about the early 70's. Cold and wet; solid seats--crowds of wet miserable people. I vowed never to attend another big assembly--and i kept my promise.

• LV101
    LV101

Respectful Observer - thanks for the Six Screens video. I only viewed from the 52 min. on but well worth it. Next guest is Barbara Anderson -- I'll try to watch.

• Hopeless1
    Hopeless1

Ooooooo Stan, I remember that one!

8 days of soggy muddy hell! (Sorry, - it wasn’t that warm)

The coach drivers were having punch-ups in the parking lot and some passengers couldn’t find their coaches.

So many people went home that year with an awful flu-like virus, (myself included), a day’s journey back to the north-west U.K. Was off work for two months and lost a stone in weight because of that blessed assembly!

But pity the poor mothers with youngsters and babies, and the elderly and infirm ones!

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Blondie - I also recall WTC claiming that (now that you mention it). At the time I thought it was a disinguous claim. Glad you remembered that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit