Regional Convention Attendance

by XBEHERE 93 Replies latest jw friends

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Gorb

" the best ever" catch phrase has gone missing. I have not heard it even once.

Being elderly and pimo, I have no excitement. But none is noted anywhere else among the pimi either.

• Gorb
    Gorb

RTN,

It was a phrase that we had to say, years ago.

Remember that after the endprayer, I nearly could remember what it was all about.

But it was the best ever 😅

Also the strange feeling when the bethel representive anounced future convention dates. Because the end was near, how could this?!?

G.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

I was at the Excel A convention in London this weekend, but I stayed outside the main area on the concourse seating so I could still listen but grab a coffee and move around when I felt like it, rather than get stuck inside, only able to leave easily at lunch and end of day.

As a result, I can't really comment about how many empty seats there were inside the main seating areas or whether there was much excitement among the delegates in there. However, it did mean I was able to observe how busy the concourse was, with lots of delegates outside the seating area even during sessions, chatting or getting coffee and snacks from the various convention centre vendors. Mostly groups of young people or families with very young children, but there were some married couples too, including older ones who would take time out to stretch the legs, and sit down with a tea or coffee and a biscuit.

It seemed that although they were present, many people were dipping in and out of the programme, taking extended time to chill in the outside seating and chat or have a drink or snack. I was surprised to see that even 'highlights' like the main public talk and the 2-part drama did not have everyone rushing back to their seats. Not something you used to see years ago. Delegates moving about on the concourses mid-session used to be very much frowned on by elders and convention bigwigs!

The peak Sunday count was 9,688 in the English section and 2,581 in the Portuguese, and the previous day there had been 61 baptisms in English, 27 in Portuguese. I make that around 0.63% (English) and 1.05% (Portuguese).

Overall, the mood was not excited, but it wasn't particular flat either, just so-so. Ironically, just what I would expect at a business conference. It did appear that overall the Portuguese were more engaged by the convention. Their programme overran slightly so as I left they were still singing, belting out the closing song more enthusiastically than the English section had, it seemed. I had also seen fewer of them around on the concourse during the programme, although of course they were smaller in number than attendees for the English.

Two other observations:

1) The speakers seemed to be poorer quality than in the past. I noticed a lot more stumbles and little corrections in their words whilst speaking, and also use of redundant phrasing. I can't remember specific examples now except one, when a brother said of God "he is the universal sovereign of the universe". That sort of thing. For all their faults, the brothers at conventions past were at least confident and capable speakers. I suspect it's because a lot of younger men are being 'promoted' with relatively little experience and training, even in the things JWs used to be good at. Convention speakers are supposed to be the 'cream of the crop', so the crop must be rather feeble now!

2) The exJW presence also seemed down on previous years, with just a small number occasionally appearing in a fenced off section to one side of the entrance. (I think a brief video by Goatlike Personality was posted from there yesterday). To be fair, you can understand why there were few exJWs in attendance. If you don't believe what's being said in there and you've left it behind, why would you want to be outside an ugly, bland concrete conference centre on a lovely sunny weekend if you don't have to be? Whereas the active JWs who were milling about outside are supposed to believe and be keen to "listen and obey"!

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

Last day of the 2023 Regional Conventions in the UK today (oh dear, what a shame, never mind!)

The peak attendance at Excel B on Sunday at the English section was about 9,600, with about 2,900 in total for other languages at the same venue. I didn't get the baptism number, but I would presume it was comparable to the weekend before, since the other figures were similar.

Looking back at my old notes (yes, I used to keep attendance figures in my diary each year - how geeky) it seems that in the few years before COVID lockdown the peak could be up to 11,000 on Sunday for the English, so it's down a bit but not dramatically out of range, especially as the org kept rearranging the circuits and assignments around London and the SE of England.

I guess given the size and mobility of population around London and the high percentage of foreign language congregations and ethnic minorities (many JWs in English congregations these days seem to be from Afro-Caribbean backgrounds), the capital would be one of the last parts of the UK for any decrease to become really apparent.

Anyway, that's it for another year for the UK. Thank goodness. The constant stream of trite videos gets more wearing every year. The org were actually boasting about how many videos were on the programme these days - more than 70! Yet most of them were pointless shorts used as filler in symposium items (which are already broken down into such small segments now that they are mostly devoid of meaningful teaching points).

I liked nowwhat?'s comment on another thread, that this was more like the "Trying My Patience" convention...🤣

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit